turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tablets! Which do you prefer?  (Read 1594 times)

Aedin

• Topic Author
Tablets! Which do you prefer?
«: February 25, 2010, 08:27:48 PM»
Hello, I'm currently seeking a tablet that will be compatible with my Mac so that I can start with digital art; I always thought it'd be something useful to have, especially when I'm without a scanner. >.>

What do you use and recommend?
I figure'd I'd ask a bunch of artists and see their opinions.

Currently I'm looking at the Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Offline Suzy

IPGD

• Topic Author
Re: Tablets! Which do you prefer?
«Reply #2: February 26, 2010, 09:57:28 AM»

Aedin

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: February 26, 2010, 10:20:59 AM»
Thank you guys.
I wish I could afford the Intuous. :/

Currently the Bamboo Fun one looks about what I need.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #4: February 26, 2010, 02:36:15 PM»
I use an Aiptek Hyperpen. Cost 80 bucks. Thing's huge. Has worked fine for years.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #5: February 28, 2010, 02:21:37 AM»
I got the Bamboo Pen tablet.....it's only decent for linearting if you have Photoshop programs, but only catch is you have to keep going to "Programs a features" and clicking on the "Bambo" thing and selecting "change" and selecting "remove" on each of the selections. (only if you taken it out of the USB thing)

This crap you have to go through in order to activate it's pen pressure, less likely a method you have to do for PS, it's SAI you have to do this with. =/

Offline Azula

«Reply #6: February 28, 2010, 05:55:08 AM»
maybe you're just retarded at tablets.

Offline Hathor

«Reply #7: February 28, 2010, 01:11:51 PM»
I got the Bamboo Pen tablet.....it's only decent for linearting if you have Photoshop programs, but only catch is you have to keep going to "Programs a features" and clicking on the "Bambo" thing and selecting "change" and selecting "remove" on each of the selections. (only if you taken it out of the USB thing)

This crap you have to go through in order to activate it's pen pressure, less likely a method you have to do for PS, it's SAI you have to do this with. =/

Learn to love your tablet. loll I've been using Bamboo tablets for the past few years and I find them to be perfectly fine in all openCanvas types and especially SAI. My inking isn't godly but that's because of my own skill level, not my tablet.

Upon installing the tablets and their drivers, I've not had any trouble with the pressure sensitivity. All I had to do was fiddle around with "tip feel" in the tablet properties, and that was just to find a setting I was comfortable with. Since then I've only had to fuck around with pressure settings in the programs I use for when I'm experimenting. Pulling the USB plug out and putting it back in again changes nothing, there must be something up with your drivers or maybe something on your system is messing with it, or what Vince said.

A problem I, and a friend of mine, have had with Bamboo is how the wire linking the USB plug to the tablet seemed to crap out after a year. I think the wire had been pulled too hard in my case, so it's probably coincidence. My second one has lasted longer and is still going on, though admittedly, I don't use it as much. I recommend that you just don't go yanking on the wire too hard.

The only other issue I have is how the cursor seizures quite alot when my laptop is running on AC power, but clearly that is a laptop issue, and more than likely a problem with my laptop. It's probably better to draw on a desktop anyway.

Offline tourtu

«Reply #8: February 28, 2010, 04:20:02 PM»
i never tried the bamboo tablet before
i currently use an intuos3 6x8. the whole thing fits comfortably on my desk and i've never had many technical problems. sometimes PS won't recognize the pressure sensitivity but a quick restart of the program and/or unplugging and plugging the tablet back in solves the problem. if you can afford it, an intuos would be a good investment.

Offline binkari

«Reply #9: February 28, 2010, 05:35:02 PM»
I know a lot of people have love/hate relationships with the slick surfaces of most tablets, but the new Bamboos have a nice updated surface that has more friction so it has a more realistic pencil-on-paper feel. The new Bamboos also have twice as much pressure sensitivity as the old Bamboos and Graphires (1024 vs 512 levels), which may or may not big a big deal depending on the software you use.

WACOM is generally considered the quintessential tablet, but to be honest, I think technology has advanced enough that you really can't go wrong with a tablet from a reputable brand-- Aiptek, for example. I recommend getting the biggest one you can afford and physically manage (take desk space into consideration). If anything, the kind of software you use will limit you more than the actual hardware.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #10: March 02, 2010, 12:24:36 AM»
When I first

Learn to love your tablet. loll I've been using Bamboo tablets for the past few years and I find them to be perfectly fine in all openCanvas types and especially SAI. My inking isn't godly but that's because of my own skill level, not my tablet.

Upon installing the tablets and their drivers, I've not had any trouble with the pressure sensitivity. All I had to do was fiddle around with "tip feel" in the tablet properties, and that was just to find a setting I was comfortable with. Since then I've only had to fuck around with pressure settings in the programs I use for when I'm experimenting. Pulling the USB plug out and putting it back in again changes nothing, there must be something up with your drivers or maybe something on your system is messing with it, or what Vince said.

A problem I, and a friend of mine, have had with Bamboo is how the wire linking the USB plug to the tablet seemed to crap out after a year. I think the wire had been pulled too hard in my case, so it's probably coincidence. My second one has lasted longer and is still going on, though admittedly, I don't use it as much. I recommend that you just don't go yanking on the wire too hard.

The only other issue I have is how the cursor seizures quite alot when my laptop is running on AC power, but clearly that is a laptop issue, and more than likely a problem with my laptop. It's probably better to draw on a desktop anyway.

After looking through a few DA threads about the Bambo Pen tabelt while having my trouble with the pressure, I discovered many had the same issue as me too ((Getting the tablet's pressure to work in SAI)), and there was several suggestive ideas to correct the mistake. Keep trying them all til I got those specific steps as I posted above, which was something inconvienient, having to do that same procedure everytime I pulled out the USB from the jack.

But i'll fiddle around with it some more in SAI. So far though,  the linearts look like a fading-out marker when it's trying to show pen pressure, wasn't sure if that was all to it or not.  ._.;

*Before was using an Intuos 3, was use to those types of linearts*

Offline Sync

«Reply #11: March 02, 2010, 01:04:21 AM»
i use bamboo fun (medium size) and i've had no problems.
except with the cord but that was my fault.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #12: March 02, 2010, 08:55:05 AM»
i've had a tiny wacom graphire3 for 3 years and it's never failed me despite the fact i've crushed it, dropped it, and poured things all over it. :S

Offline Tain

«Reply #13: March 02, 2010, 01:56:50 PM»
i've had a small genius (4.5 x 5 or something) for the past 3 years (well, 5, but it was in storage for 2 years, i found it when it had flooded).

been chewed up by 2 akitas countless times, dropped it, tripped over the cord, spilt things over it, cats climb on it ect. ect. never had to replace the nib thing. but its days are almost at an end. (i have to smack it around every 10 minutes or it doesn't want to draw w/ me)

imo its good if you're looking for a cheap tabby. about 30 bux

Offline Sarah

«Reply #14: March 08, 2010, 12:53:19 PM»
Wacom do i use. And i says its Awesome (:

Offline Skona

«Reply #15: July 22, 2010, 12:40:20 AM»
I've been using a Graphire 3 since around 2006/2007 or so. I don't even remember.

The nib of my stylus is wearing out, though. But the tablet is reliable and does its job.

Open for commissions! Check it out!!