turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Done.  (Read 698 times)

Offline Taser

Done.
«: February 28, 2010, 02:38:56 PM»
So I just did my first proper port and Im quite pleased with it except for some details, I would like your critique and your wonderful tips!

http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=17832
The offending piece~
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:01:24 PM by Taser »
I rike to maek myserufu beriieeeeeve~

Erde

Re: Crit this crap! Please.
«Reply #1: February 28, 2010, 09:55:45 PM»
I'll give you a bit of feedback on the few things I've noticed. First and foremost, the anatomy. More notably, the head.

First of all: the shape of the head... is very off. Do not use the hair to try and hide it. Even if the ears are large, the likelihood one would extend farther than the other is very low, especially since the previous ear is folded. If anything, it should be closer to the skull.

My recommendation: Do a sketch of the head first. Heads are very simple to sketch: Start with an oval, add guides for placement of the eyes, and the ears will be connected to the head.  Hair does NOT lay flat on your head unless you've just gotten out of the shower, or your hair is unreasonably greasy (of which I doubt either of these you were going for).

Secondly, the eyes are too big, but I'm sure you're going for animu.  DON'T DO THAT. As many people on here will tell you, give up on the anime and aim for realism. That's the only way you'll learn.

Third: See the proportion of the head to the body? Way, way off. That tiny little neck would snap in half before holding up that head. When you're drawing, use a reference for anatomy.  There's nothing wrong with developing your own, cartoony style, but you have to have a basis.

Are you using anything like Photoshop, scanning sketches, or paint? Either way, you could very easily do a starting sketch for any of these, and then build on those lines in order to help with the anatomical problems seen here.

If you have photoshop, layers are your best friend.  If you're sketching, light pencil marks to find the basis of what you want to make, before you put finishing lines over it.  Making a finished piece involves lots and lots of sketching, and most importantly, erasing. If using paint, you can draw with red lines, draw over in black, and then erase the red with the right mouse button. (if you are using paint and want to know more about that, just ask).

Take a look at some of the links in Matter's signature, and I would recommend reading Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain (many of the members here have.. I own it, but have yet to get around to reading it) :p

Most importantly: practice, practice, practice! Critiques can be hard, and no one is going to be perfect. Just be sure to point out your own mistakes and work on them when you have the opportunity. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I'm not exactly the best myself with light sources, so I won't do much critique on those.

Offline Taser

Re: Crit this crap! Please.
«Reply #2: March 01, 2010, 01:51:37 PM»
Aaah thanks, yeah I have a problem with proportions but I wasn't really aiming for anime :I doesn't matter, I'll just try and improve

Erde

Re: Done.
«Reply #3: March 01, 2010, 02:19:03 PM»
Aaah thanks, yeah I have a problem with proportions but I wasn't really aiming for anime :I doesn't matter, I'll just try and improve

Sorry if I was a bit harsh; but in reality when you're drawing so small the eyes are going to be really small. I can hardly add any detail to mine, so they end up looking too big/anime. >.>;

Offline Taser

Re: Done.
«Reply #4: March 01, 2010, 02:24:41 PM»

Sorry if I was a bit harsh; but in reality when you're drawing so small the eyes are going to be really small. I can hardly add any detail to mine, so they end up looking too big/anime. >.>;
Nah your weren't too harsh, I do tend to draw small, but I know I need to improve on my anatomy.

anything