turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Your port preferences?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Taser

Your port preferences?
«: March 11, 2010, 05:39:40 AM»
I was wondering, what type of ports do people prefer? Are you more likely to buy a pixelated port or a 24-bit one, or something else? What art style do you prefer? Realistic, anime, cartoon, or something totally different.

I find that Pixel ports pretty much dominate, but are people put off buying different styles?

Sorry about the shortness or sketchiness of my questions.
Opinioooooons please!

P.s. Don't be an ass.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:41:09 PM by Taser »
I rike to maek myserufu beriieeeeeve~

Offline Lothus

Re: Your port preferences?
«Reply #1: March 11, 2010, 01:32:22 PM»
I'm more likely to buy a 24-bit/nonmapping port... simply because Furc's color set doesn't quite fit Lothus's colors, not because I don't like remapping portraits.

However, when it comes to styling I definitely prefer realistic.
Not that I don't like anime/cartoon (Yes, I know anime is simply Japanese animation) styling, but there is a definite preference if given a choice. :P

Offline Hathor

«Reply #2: March 11, 2010, 03:55:45 PM»
I prefer 24-bit/nonremap ports usually, though if someone is able to make nice hair with the "tricky" colour remaps (like indigo, turquoise, mad green, ember orange), then I'll enjoy a remap. As for style I often go for a more anime type, but I love to see realistic too.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #3: March 11, 2010, 04:23:50 PM»
24-bit/nonremaps. my characters have a set design so remapping ports are an issue when they have a certain pallete. i like semi-realism/realism lol

Aedin

«Reply #4: March 11, 2010, 04:41:55 PM»
I absolutely love 24-bit & non-remaps in a realistic style. For some reason it's just more appealing to me, and I've seen artists work wonders with it. To me, the colors are more vivid and I've always preferred how smooth they appear.

On the other hand, I also like the same in a psuedo-anime style, but it depends on the character I have and how appealing the style is to me personally. I don't like most anime because it's usually very poorly done and no one seems to display any understanding of anatomy or basic art principles in their work. But then again, I have also seen artists who pull out amazing anime-styled works.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #5: March 11, 2010, 04:45:55 PM»
when it comes to buying ports, I'd rather buy a remapping port. However, I think that nonremap PIXEL ports are really nice too, because the furc pallet is limited and boring.. I don't like cg (non-pixel) ports that much though.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #6: March 11, 2010, 04:49:55 PM»
i like remapping portraits because i like to fuck around with colors, but if i ever have a set design with shitty remaps i'd prefer pixel nonremap. im not a fan of cg portraits on furc for some reason.

i also love realistic/semi-realistic portraits.

Offline Azula

«Reply #7: March 11, 2010, 04:57:23 PM»
non-remap. pixels or otherwise, i don't necessarily care... i have characters that have colors that are nowhere close to furc's set colors and are subtle changes like gradients in markings and what not so.. yeah.

i'm very picky on styles, realistic or not. there are some "styles" people have here on faz that just fucking piss me off for being god awful.

Offline Zim

«Reply #8: March 11, 2010, 11:59:56 PM»
non-remap. pixels or otherwise, i don't necessarily care... i have characters that have colors that are nowhere close to furc's set colors and are subtle changes like gradients in markings and what not so.. yeah.

Exactly this. My characters have colors that are nowhere near using Furcadia's palette. The colors for remap ports are far too limited, so I'd rather have an ACCURATE portrait than a ~pretty remap port.~

I'm not too particular on the style, as long as the artist is talented and has a basic knowledge of anatomy. I don't like anything horribly animu though.

Also, this isn't really much of an in-depth conversation, so I am moving it.

Offline Azula

«Reply #9: March 12, 2010, 12:55:37 AM»
THANKS FOR RUBBING MY TYPOS IN MY FACE, JEN

Offline Sync

«Reply #10: March 12, 2010, 01:32:58 AM»
i like nonremaps because of the wider range of colors.

i don't have a style i'm set on though. depends on the character and what i think fits.

Offline Zim

«Reply #11: March 12, 2010, 04:25:10 AM»
SHIT WHAT TYPOS I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE ANY OH MY GOD I AM DUMB I AM SORRY TINA

Offline Azula

«Reply #12: March 12, 2010, 05:05:10 AM»
MY GRAMMAR IS NONEXISTENT IN THAT POST AND I BLAME YOU!!!

Offline Suzy

«Reply #13: March 13, 2010, 03:01:16 PM»
I would like remap ports more if it wasn't for furc's poor color palette. Not that I get portraits often, but the last one I got was nonremap and I am very happy with it.

As for pixel vs. non-pixel, it all depends on the artist. I like a wide range of styles, and I don't exactly mind anime style. I just don't trust the artists here (that are within my price range) to do it well. I'm very guilty of shitty anime stuff, so I can hardly talk.

Offline binkari

«Reply #14: March 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM»
I prefer nonremaps for every reason mentioned before: the colors are more vibrant (or duller, if that's what you want!) and overall, the palette is far more flexible. I still like portraits that appear pixelated to some extent-- particularly around edges-- because it seems to fit Furcadia's UI better.

As for style: the first thing people notice in portraits are eyes, hands down (then boobs). Realistic portraits tend to run into a hurdle when you want to draw attention to the eyes while fitting more than just a character's face in. Enlarging the eyes to Sailor Moon proportions is a little disturbing to me, but I'd say portraits with a slight lean to larger, "anime" eyes look better simply because they have a bit more impact.

Offline Hyorin

«Reply #15: March 17, 2010, 09:36:59 AM»
non-remapping portraits

i like pixellated styles that have been somewhat anti-aliased by hand - when done properly it looks a lot better than standard pixel dithering and like binkari said, it suits furcadia much better than cg

Erde

«Reply #16: March 17, 2010, 03:20:36 PM»
Lately I've been leaning to pixel-non-remap. I hate how majority of the colors in furc end up remapping, and there's never enough colors.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #17: March 28, 2010, 07:20:45 PM»
Hmm, I guess I prefer remmapable more than nonrermappable, I loving fucking around with colors and such. As for me doing anime/cartoony looking ports, I'd prefer semi-realism. Furcadia sucks for having a limited color pallette too. :/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:01:15 PM by Sapphirus »

Offline Azula

«Reply #18: March 28, 2010, 09:34:36 PM»