turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Your Choice Of Laptop?  (Read 1371 times)

Zafira

• Topic Author
Your Choice Of Laptop?
«: April 20, 2010, 04:50:32 AM»
I'm thinking about buying a laptop, but I just want to hear opinions.
You can tell me about the pros and cons of your own laptop,
or maybe a laptop you're saving up for.

Offline Azula

Re: Your Choice Of Laptop?
«Reply #1: April 20, 2010, 04:56:51 AM»
not acer

Offline Auo

«Reply #2: April 20, 2010, 07:47:31 PM»

Offline Azula

«Reply #3: April 20, 2010, 09:07:23 PM»
operating system =/= the machine itself

Offline Sync

«Reply #4: April 20, 2010, 10:55:43 PM»
i use hp and i like it a lot!

Offline Eevee

«Reply #5: April 20, 2010, 11:21:54 PM»
no dell

i swear they put viruses on the laptop/comp/notebook before you even get it

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #6: April 21, 2010, 12:08:29 AM»
don't get a gateway I have had so many fucking problems with mine I almost broke my hand trying to get the damn thing to start charging.

Offline DT

«Reply #7: April 21, 2010, 12:10:12 AM»

Offline Disconcerting

«Reply #8: April 21, 2010, 12:33:54 PM»
I have an HP tx2500z and the build quality is terrible, not to mention trying to get warranty support while using it for school is pretty much impossible.  But, this is a consumer class laptop.  A business class laptop might stand up better. 

I also have a Toshiba Tecra M4 and I love it dearly, but it's getting slightly dated.  It does have a huge screen to draw on, though, and it is a business class laptop.  There were terrible reviews of it because it has a design flaw with the GPU module, but it's nothing an informed person couldn't prevent.  Their support is excellent.  I bought mine used off ebay, and after being dropped in a hot UPS truck (or I got scammed, but I like to think the best of people) it was exhibiting symptoms of the design flaw.  Toshiba offered to replace the motherboard free of charge, even though I had no warranty, if I covered the cost of parts (because they don't have new motherboards for that model anymore.) 

After tearing down a laptop to replace a motherboard, I am even more surprised- that's a lot of work.  I don't know if I got a nice person, or someone that knew about a recall, or what, but it's certainly a strong contrast to being told that the touch-screen popping while opening the lid on my tx2500z is my fault and not covered under warranty at all.  (If this has happened to you, you can cut the touch-screen off with a razor blade without damaging anything else.)  I was considering check out the M4's successor, the Tecra M7, since its components can be upgraded to something very recent, but I decided to build an external pen display instead, since my primary interest is the screen and the drawing on thereof. 

It would help if you could tell us what you're going to be doing with your laptop.

Zafira

• Topic Author
«Reply #9: April 21, 2010, 07:00:25 PM»
It would help if you could tell us what you're going to be doing with your laptop.

Of course, I'll be using Photoshop and my Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet (might update if I get very serious with art) but I also want to use it for leisure. Some school writing projects, yes. I don't want anything that will fall apart in the first year (the Dell I -once- had) but I was thinking of a Mac?

I'm just worried that some programs I own won't be compatible with Mac.

Overall I know very little about computers, which is why I'm asking for feedback. (:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:35:05 PM by Zafira »

Offline Schwarz

«Reply #10: April 21, 2010, 09:32:46 PM»
i have a Toshiba & it is fantastic with Photoshop. just make sure you get at least 4GB harddrive on it. you can go lower & save some money, but Photoshop is likely to run slower.

my poor laptop has been dropped, slept on by a dog, & left on for hours, but it still runs like a dream.
I'm glad you realize how miserable your life would be without me.
re-animator.net -- a vast waste of internet

Offline Disconcerting

«Reply #11: April 23, 2010, 02:19:44 PM»
The thing about Mac is that they're not really special anymore.  At least, in my opinion.  You can get pretty much the same specifications from a PC manufacturer for a lot less money, and if you're savvy enough to follow instructions that you can obtain from certain forums (among other places,) you can still install OSX on it if you really want it.  I run Windows 7 on my Tecra M4 and it hasn't been doing any crashing.

Farfarello is correct, having a lot of memory is a good thing with Photoshop.  However, there are lighter drawing applications if you're not doing anything complicated, like OpenCanvas and Paint Tool SAI.  (I downloaded SAI and hardly ever use Photoshop now, except for finishing details.)

Offline LSD

«Reply #12: April 23, 2010, 02:37:40 PM»

Zafira

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: April 23, 2010, 08:57:46 PM»
I'd like to thank everyone who commented! I have a better idea about what I want now.

I don't think I'll be gaming at all, otherwise I'd be all over Alienware. :b

Offline arjay

«Reply #14: April 25, 2010, 08:40:58 PM»
for me..HP.. ;)

Offline zephyrus

«Reply #15: May 02, 2010, 10:29:16 PM»
I like HP, dell has been ok in my experience and sony was pretty good too, but HP is my fave.

anything