turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Can I get some redline assistance? :) +tips?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Blue

Can I get some redline assistance? :) +tips?
«: May 03, 2010, 07:06:51 PM»
This is a project I'm working on.  It's a hybrid-of-all-sortsa-creatures, but I wanted to ask if the body was proportioned right or if I should make any changes in the anatomy.  The back legs seem sort of squigly, but you guys should see the way I normally have sitting backlegs.  Kinda sucks <.<

Also, I'm slowly trying to work on making my wings more realistic.  I rushed the top part and still don't think I drew it quite right.  I dunno if I have the back wing set up right either.

Thanks for any help  :)

You Created That.  New Art Commission site in development, stay tuned for art events and projects in the near future!

Offline ding

Re: Can I get some redline assistance? :) +tips?
«Reply #1: May 12, 2010, 01:32:17 PM»
the legs are pretty dramatically anatomically incorrect. he seems to have a horse's legs, and the obvious question you should be asking yourself is, does a horse sit? well the answer to that is "not naturally". people have trained their horses to recline into a sitting position you might expect a dog to, but i don't really think that's incredibly comfortable for them. and even if it was, well, you got it wrong.

looks something like this:

the natural resting positions of a horse.
i'm not an expert on horses, but i hear they do most of their resting on their hooves, and even sleep standing up. laying down is a novelty thing to them, and probably somewhat uncomfortable because if they do it for too long, they'll crush a number of vital body organs under their own weight.

as for the wings:
a bird's wing is basically like a fan. it can fold in, it can stretch out, it can be angled up or down, but it doesn't naturally just bend over like that.
http://www.ornithopter.de/grafik/herzog/faltung.gif
larger birds' wings might do something like this:
http://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au/aussie_animals/aussie-animals_pics/wedge-tailed-eagle.jpg
but as you can see, it still doesn't fold over like a piece of soggy paper.

there are some other general anatomy flaws regarding the width of various areas, where the shoulder connects, and really i think bone structure in general. might be worth devising a skeletal model before having another go at this.

anything