turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Contest Forum Rules Update  (Read 995 times)

Offline Calib

Contest Forum Rules Update
«: May 09, 2010, 12:44:45 PM»
Please pardon any rantyness, but this is bothering me.

There have been people lately who...
  • End contests and don't give any prizes, usually due to "not enough entries"
  • Cancel contests and never give any prizes
  • Never set a due date and abandon threads after getting art (no prizes awarded)
  • Leave contests open for months due to extension after extension or finally telling a end date months after the thread is made

I am proposing a couple small contest forum rules in light of these behaviors:
  • All contests must have an end date.
  • If you require a certain number of entries for the contest to be judged, you must tell how many entries you need.
  • Prizes must be given at the end of the contest.
  • If a contest is canceled, the contest must be judged and at least consolation prizes must be given.
  • Making a contest is a gamble. If you can not accept the risk that "junk" art may be all you get for your digos, don't make a contest.

Yes, I know you're going to say, "If you don't want a risk, do not enter!" but contest holders should be held responsible for their contests.

Saying you are holding a contest, getting art, then canceling the contest and not giving any prizes is a scam. Refusing to give prizes due to "not enough entries" is just as bad. Someone needs to be winning something or else you are lying to get free art.

Sure, sometimes all you get from a contest is "junk", but someone worked hard on that "junk" and deserves something (even if small) in return for the effort. Making a contest is a gamble. If you can not accept that you may get only "junk" for your digos, do not make a contest.

It's not hard to give out consolation prizes for canceled contests. Is 5 GD or a yellow rose too much to give to the best of your "junk" pile? Don't rip off your artists- they tried, even if "they suck" in your eyes. It's now your turn to uphold your end of the bargain.

Also, sometimes the turnout is low and you get 1 good piece and 3 "junk" ones. This is also part of the contest gamble. If you don't want to risk this, do not make a contest or advertise better.

To the people who make contests, stick pretty close to the due date, and give out prizes even when it's all junk: Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:57:40 PM by Calib »

Offline Sync

Re: Contest Forum Rules Update
«Reply #1: May 09, 2010, 01:30:27 PM»
i think the main reason contests fail is due to the fact all of them keep extending the end date.

i also believe more people are interested in paypal than gd, which is why people aren't joining in the first place.. i had like, 30 entries in my contest and all of the winners wanted paypal lol.

Offline Calib

«Reply #2: May 12, 2010, 04:33:28 PM»
i think the main reason contests fail is due to the fact all of them keep extending the end date.

i also believe more people are interested in paypal than gd, which is why people aren't joining in the first place.. i had like, 30 entries in my contest and all of the winners wanted paypal lol.

Yeah, the constant extensions really do get annoying fast. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one extension that was a fraction of the original time, but when contests are extended over and over for months it's too much!

Paypal is a good motivator, that's for sure. Lol. Then again, you can always sell the lifers if you don't want them. I've done that before.

Offline Azula

«Reply #3: May 12, 2010, 04:51:30 PM»
sorry, if i'm going to have a contest and i have a rather good amount of money for first few places, and all i get is shitty art from shitty artists, you're god damn right i'm going to want better.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #4: May 12, 2010, 05:01:09 PM»
^^ which is why a lot of artists need to not make contests FAZ specific. there are plenty of other art sites, or more specifically ~furry~ art sites, that have plenty of willing artists who'd do it for paypal.

so if you want a successful contest, use paypal, and post it on multiple sites (dA, fa, etc).

i think the rules in place are fine, it's just people get tired of waiting and they don't get any good entries cuz they're doing it wrong.

Offline Azula

«Reply #5: May 12, 2010, 05:14:44 PM»
pretty much what jenni said, yeah

anything