turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How Do You Hold Your Pen?  (Read 1935 times)

Erde

• Topic Author
How Do You Hold Your Pen?
«: May 17, 2010, 01:08:43 PM»
Just a weird idea I came up with.

How do you hold your pencil/pen/brush/drawing utencil?

If my knowledge serves me correctly there's a certain way you're /supposed/ to hold it, but I want to see all the different ways people do it.

Myself, I hold very close to the tip, thumb on one side and index finger on the other for grip. the pen rests on my middle finger.

IPGD

• Topic Author

Erde

• Topic Author
Re: How Do You Hold Your Pen?
«Reply #2: May 17, 2010, 02:28:55 PM»
Case and point: I hold mine VERY wrong. :D

Offline Suzy

«Reply #3: May 18, 2010, 09:33:34 PM»
You don't have to hold your pen like the almighty Matter to do it right.

I hold it the same way Erde does. I alternate angles depending on whether I am drawing/writing for neatness, or taking notes in class or something.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #4: May 18, 2010, 09:43:53 PM»
I'm trying to break my current hand habits, which are terrible. My hand is scrunched up around the pen, and the side of my hand is resting on the drawing surface, meaning I draw with my fingers rather than my arm. This is Bad. But doing it any other way yields poor results, so it'll just take time to work on it when I don't have to make things look good for commissions and whatnot. Blah.

Offline Azula

«Reply #5: May 18, 2010, 10:20:17 PM»

>implying you know what you're talking about

Offline Wade

«Reply #6: May 18, 2010, 10:50:48 PM»
I used to know this guy...and he seriously held his pen like you would with a knife. If you were stabbing somebody. When I pointed it out thinking he was actually joking, he told me he did it that way all his life. I saw him holding it that way whenever he would write and stuff so I know he wasn't fucking with me about it.

Offline Sync

«Reply #7: May 18, 2010, 11:19:27 PM»
i hold my pencil by resting it on my ring finger and balancing it with my middle finger, my index finger, and my thumb. probably not the best idea because my skin is sunken in a little where i rest my pencil. it's been that way since i was like 6 though so idk.

Offline binkari

«Reply #8: May 18, 2010, 11:45:39 PM»

Sometimes I'll start farther out from the tip for quick, loose sketches, and get progressively closer as I need more control.

If you aren't in pain, you're probably fine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:47:38 PM by binkari »

Offline Auo

«Reply #9: May 18, 2010, 11:51:17 PM»
Honestly, I'm way too embarassed to put get a picture of how I hold my pen. All I'm gonna say is all five of my fingers are on the pen at once.

Offline Sync

«Reply #10: May 19, 2010, 12:01:18 AM»
well i am not in pain so i am indeed fine!

IPGD

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: May 19, 2010, 12:35:31 AM»

I hold it the same way Erde does. I alternate angles depending on whether I am drawing/writing for neatness, or taking notes in class or something.
I don't hold it right either bro!! But there are much more comfortable and ergonomic ways of doing it than getting the tip in a chokehold and doing everything in tiny pussy finger movements

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #12: May 19, 2010, 01:21:47 PM»
Yeah, one reason I posted this was to see how other people get the 'flow' of the movement.

I feel like my lines are cut short by the way I hold it, and I can never seem to draw even the simplest of shapes right because of it.

But it's hard to try and hold it different ways when you've gotten used to a certain method. Just gotta keep trying I suppose.. or get used to the cramping.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #13: May 19, 2010, 01:41:11 PM»
Erde, that's the same problem I have. My range of motion is really limited in my desire for control. Long lines end up having very poor cohesion, and when I sketch, I use a bunch of short lines, often doubling back over what I just drew. It's sloppy, and when I'm trying to refine the sketch, it's hard to pick out which of the many lines is "right."

Also, the tablet algorithm of some programs is different... for example, Photoshop is very unforgiving and will show lots of little quivers, while Paint Tool SAI smooths them out and gives you a cohesive line. Therefore, I think SAI is great for learning to loosen up, since you don't have to try and control the lines quite so much. They work with you.

We should do practices. :) Try drawing ___ without moving your fingers, etc etc. I may try that when I have more time. (Procrastinating right now...)

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #14: May 19, 2010, 02:13:52 PM»
Honestly, I'm way too embarassed to put get a picture of how I hold my pen. All I'm gonna say is all five of my fingers are on the pen at once.

Same here :-[

IPGD

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: May 19, 2010, 02:14:41 PM»
But it's hard to try and hold it different ways when you've gotten used to a certain method. Just gotta keep trying I suppose.. or get used to the cramping.
Something I found helped was just trying to write with your new grip. You aren't obsessively concerned with proper form in writing as you are with drawing, so there's less temptation to slip back into the chokehold. I just spent a few weeks sloppily writing out math equations and now I can keep my wrist and fingers still pretty comfortably.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #16: May 19, 2010, 02:39:43 PM»

blahhh

Offline kenzy

«Reply #17: May 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM»
i hold it like one it's crossed out in the link matter posted.
except when im drawing my fingers will be farther away and when i need details i hold it like how i write it.

alex, is that comfortable?

Offline alexandra

«Reply #18: May 19, 2010, 09:21:21 PM»
alex, is that comfortable?

yes... i don't know, i still alternate from loose to tight depending on how accurate i want to be. same with pencils.

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: May 19, 2010, 11:29:50 PM»
Something I found helped was just trying to write with your new grip. You aren't obsessively concerned with proper form in writing as you are with drawing, so there's less temptation to slip back into the chokehold. I just spent a few weeks sloppily writing out math equations and now I can keep my wrist and fingers still pretty comfortably.

I actually hold my pen differently when I write.. I noticed that today. I hold my pen near the middle, and press my index finger to the tip.

I guess my tablet pen's just too fat for my hand.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #20: May 21, 2010, 08:24:40 PM»
Alex. You and I are weird-pencil-holding buddies, with the exception of thumb placement (I put mine down closer to the tip).

I very clearly remember my first grade teacher getting really pissed at me for holding my pencil that way, but then she was pissed at the lefties too so eh.

I also alternate how tight or loose my grip is depending on what I'm doing. :B

Also POST NUMBAH 600

Offline Tony

«Reply #21: July 11, 2010, 04:16:59 AM»

i dont have a tablet owned

Offline Kelly

«Reply #22: July 11, 2010, 05:45:42 AM»
lold so hard

Offline Lord

«Reply #23: July 16, 2010, 01:05:21 AM»
i change how i hold my pencil as what i'm doing with said pencil changes.

i do that.. script hold or w/e it's called in the link that Matter posted, when i write or do tiny sketches. when i'm actually working on a piece, i hold it the 'correct' way

anything