turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price me? C:  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Mala

Price me? C:
«: April 03, 2008, 11:56:54 PM»
Yup. I need some opinions on a few new pics I've drawn lately. These are in a chibish style, flatcoloured, and mostly 300x300 pixels.

I'm planning on selling these soon, so pricing would be appreciated very much!

And if you have any ideas to improve an aspect of the pic, please, just let it out! Suggestions are something I need too! <3

Yeah, I'm trying out a new style of chibis. <3; Hopefully this one grabs a tad more interest.

(By the way, is there a post limit in the Gallery section? I fear I'm going to spam it up in the future. xD)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:49:54 AM by Mina-chan »

Offline Mala

Re: Prices and Crits?
«Reply #1: April 05, 2008, 02:10:57 AM»
added three new examples, redid the links

Sookan

«Reply #2: April 06, 2008, 07:35:00 AM»
ill add some suggestions for you.

you noted that the style used is chibi; well, chibi is, literally, "kid".
all you do when chibi-fying morphs, animals or whatever is give them childlike features. anatomy is seldom sacrificed completely.

i think you made the legs far too jointless. hmm ill draw up an example for you:

this is really crude and not entirely accurate, but that's the gist.

other examples of chibified characters...

http://capsicum.deviantart.com/art/Chibi-Tidus-Yuna-15085611
yuna!

http://chibi-rinku.deviantart.com/art/Chibi-Gaara-28992166 gaara from naruto, i think

http://chibi-rinku.deviantart.com/art/Chibi-Gaara-28992166 lots of narutos

Offline Mala

«Reply #3: April 06, 2008, 11:49:31 AM»
Heh, I might have been going to far with the whole anatomy crits. Maybe I'll just stick with looking for pricings. <3

Thanks for the examples! <3

Offline La-la

Re: Price me? C:
«Reply #4: April 06, 2008, 12:08:06 PM»
I'd definitely say to get a version of OC or something, I'm pretty sure you're using paint right now, which is making your lines look uneven, and making your colours look flat. With OC, your lines would look a lot better, you'd have a much broader range of colours, and you could do some simple shading.

I agree with the legs and joints things, there's a difference between chibis and doodles. Also keep in mind that everything you draw can be made up of shapes. In OC you cna use layers, draw the shapes first, and go over them. It'd help you a lot.

Right now, I'd only pay 1 - 2 GD for any of those, if that. They don't look like they've taken a lot of time. But in another paint program, with what I've suggested, I'd probably pay 3 - 5 GD.

Offline Mala

«Reply #5: April 06, 2008, 12:12:39 PM»
Thanks La-la. I've never used OC before so I have no idea where you get it. xD;

Right now, I draw these at an oekaki. Yes, I use different layers, and draw two layers of sketch before I start outlining. So, um, it might be that I'm using the 1px pencil tool that makes it look sloppyish. That, and I'm still working on making my lineart nice.

Offline La-la

«Reply #6: April 06, 2008, 12:23:13 PM»
http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/download/oc4/

You can download a 30 use/ 30 day trial version off of their site.

Offline Mala

«Reply #7: April 06, 2008, 12:28:29 PM»
Allright, thanks. :)

Sesruc

«Reply #8: April 06, 2008, 12:31:51 PM»
i'm sure mentioning anatomy is already exhausted
so
yeah

you have a cute style all in all, i could see them as plushies
but for me and my prefs,
$0.

Sookan

«Reply #9: April 06, 2008, 12:59:38 PM»
if you're using paintBBS, you ought to bezier your lines.

the curved line, that is.

(
)
(

Offline Mala

«Reply #10: April 06, 2008, 01:01:39 PM»
I'm using Shipainter. (Not pro, just shipainter)

Sookan

«Reply #11: April 06, 2008, 01:07:45 PM»
ahh, the oekaki where i draw at is down for re-layouting... so i cant verify, but shipainter ought to have bezier, too. click on where it says "freehand" and scroll down to Bezier.

Offline Mala

«Reply #12: April 06, 2008, 01:39:23 PM»
Oh, I see it now.

Actually, I prefer just using the 0px pencil and then cleaning it up. xD; They both look the same once finished, so I'm not sure which is better. >>;

thanks though. C:

Offline Sanne

«Reply #13: April 08, 2008, 04:43:07 AM»
Learning how to use the bezier tool is like learning a totally new medium. No miracles expected. :3 The difference between freehand and bezier is that, unlike freehand, bezier allows you to draw a flawless, smoothly curved lines. You can tell that best when you use a 4 pixel brush or so.

My tip? Just try to shade some. Flat coloring is all fine and dandy, but shading brings a picture to life. Right now I'm unsure what price you'd be able to go for best, but I'm pretty sure you can fetch 3GD at least for your drawing. And that's without shading.

Before you try to chibi-fy your art though, get the basics of normal anatomy down first. To draw a chibi is to simplify. You're taking an existing character and you narrow down its proportions until you've a cute little round tub of chibi goodness. :3 The only problem is, if your understanding of regular anatomy is limited or not developed far enough, it gets hard to turn a character into a chibi and have them still look proportionally correct.

And as a last tip, eyes = portal of the soouuulllll. Try out a couple of different eye styles, play around with them. ;3 As cute as colorful circles are, they aren't capable of expressing many emotions. Eyelids, eyebrows and certain shapes of eyes reflect a character's mood and personality.

http://www.tutorialguide.net/anime_eyes_tutorial.html
http://guardianyashu.deviantart.com/art/Anime-Eye-Tutorial-V2-0-62387677

Check out these tutorials, they should give an indication. ^^
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Mala

«Reply #14: April 08, 2008, 12:32:13 PM»
Woah, thanks for all the info, Sanne!

Hah, this was a big help. I've been needing to work on my eyes alot, those tutorals will come in handy.

Thanks so much! <3

Offline Sanne

«Reply #15: April 08, 2008, 12:50:00 PM»
If you need more help, just look on google for tutorials. i.e.

Canine furry tutorial
How to draw anthro heads
How to draw a human female body

Tutorials are good and give you a wide range of styles to try and different methods to use. ^^ You can try to draw the samples exactly as in the tutorials to get used to how something is shaped. (Don't use them for commissions though, just personal practice. And be sure to credit. <3)

Best practice though is still studying people in real life. Usually there are key proportions on humans and animals. i.e. in humans, the shoulders are in total three times the width of the head, the wrist is at crotch-level, fingers reach mid-thigh, elbow is at the navel, upper leg is slightly longer than the lower leg, feet are the size of your elbow to your wrist etcetera.

Oh, and for eyes, the distance between two eyes is usually one eye wide. i.e., between the two eyes on a face, you could perfectly fit a third eye inbetween both. Though this doesn't always apply to Anime characters. Some styles for eyes work best with more or less width between the eyes.
For chibis, the distance between the eyes is much smaller and the eyes are very big. The bigger they are in the face, the rounder the face is and the smaller the nose and mouth are, the more childlike they look.

If you remember these things, it'll be easy to practice anatomy and the like. :3 It's a lot of information at once, but it should prove helpful down the road. I still stick to these keys myself most of the time, so it's definitely not a wasted effort to keep them in mind. ^^
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."