turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Weather Patch And DS/PS  (Read 659 times)

Offline Asiil

Weather Patch And DS/PS
«: June 06, 2010, 02:52:14 PM»
Needing an artist who can either create a patch for a monsoon season or walk me through the steps as well as the DS/PS lines necessary for its use. I'm not really concerned with adapting my whole iteme, wall, and floor files for rainpuddles and the like, I just need a good rain patch. I've got something created and animated already but I have NO clue how to apply it to work properly in the way I have in mind. The best example that comes to mind is in the only dream I've thusfar seen something like it used, and that's in Urraim, located in Imag.

I have a night patch and I don't really know if making a rain patch is done the same way (i.e. with dsbuttons).

Please include contact information.
I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Offline Heimdall

Re: Weather Patch And DS/PS
«Reply #1: June 23, 2010, 10:03:52 AM»
I use walls, not DS buttons, since using DS buttons makes it look unrealistic and almost impossible to click furres or use click-movement. There are also issues with mutuality. But may I add that Urraim is not the only dream to use weather DS by far... it's really common DS for RP dreams. :\ I've been using it in my dreams for years and years. Here's the code I use, in case you'd like to try it. This is a very simple portion of my rain DS, which is randomized, but has voice commands in case I need 'em.

Code: [Select]
(0:31) When a furre says {rain command},
* you can remove this share line if need be
   (1:11) and the triggering furre has got shared control (or is the dream owner),
      (3:4) within the rectangle (top left corner of your outside area) - (bottom right corner of your outside area),
* include more (3:4) lines as needed, if your outside area is oddly shaped or something.
            (5:62) change wall shape 0 with texture 1 to shape rainwall with texture rainwall.

* optional additional events. Use variables if you have a "weather checker" command or you want emits to change when it starts raining. Use timers if you want DS events to occur when it starts raining, such as people leaving the map, etc.
            (5:300) set variable %weather to the value 1.
            (5:50) set countdown timer 1 to go off in 1 seconds.

If you already have something drawn up, it won't be hard to convert it into a wall item and go ahead. If you're adamant about DS button weather (and you CAN have both night and rain DS buttons up, I think. If not, just make a "night" version of your rain) then here's the pseudocode. It's obviously untested but should mostly work.

Code: [Select]
When a furre says (rain start)
and they have share,
in outside area(s),
show any furre's DS button rain.
set variable %rain to 1.
in area (0,0) to (bottom right corner of entire map)
move any furre forward 0 spaces

When a furre says (rain end)
and they have share
hide any furre's DS button rain
set variable %rain to 0
move any furre forward 0 spaces

When a furre arrives in the dream,
and they are in an outside area,
and variable %rain is equal to 1
show their DS button rain.

* I suggest placing a special floor behind each of your door items that lead inside and outside, and for your teleport lines, use "move the furre to (x,y) or someplace nearby if it's occupied, so they always are moved.
When a furre bumps into floor-to-outside,
and variable %rain equals 1,
show the triggering furre's ds button rain.

When a furre bumps into floor-to-inside,
hide the triggering furre's ds button rain.

* And it's good to have a net to catch anything that falls through the cracks.
* This code also applies to a furre who's standing outside when the rain gets turned off.
When a furre idles for 1 second
and they are outside
and their DS button rain is not visible
and variable %rain equals 1
show their DS button rain

and they are outside
and their DS button rain is visible
and variable %rain equals 0
hide their DS button rain

and they are not outside
and their DS button rain is visible
hide their DS button rain

Patch-wise, if you want to do a DS button, you'll need to use two buttons. (Make sure to adjust for that in the pseudocode above.) Go into your buttons.fox file and find the DS button templates. They go from 1 through 10. Put your rain item in two of them. You can overlap, or trim one. Make sure the art is the same for clicked and unclicked. Go to your skinner and show those two DS buttons, and line them up over the screen, and save.

For walls, just take an unused wall patch. I generally put my weather in wall_10 for day weather and wall_11 for night weather. Each wall has two shapes. Make one of them EMPTY (or put some fog at the bottom for ambiance) and make the other your rain animation. In the shape position box, move it so the bottom is on top of the brown tile (the ground).

Good luck. :)