turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Little Help? How Can I improve?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Thyme

Little Help? How Can I improve?
«: June 06, 2010, 08:26:32 PM»
I keep trying to improve my shading and things. I'd really like to get good at this. :) So throw your critique at me. I'm not much of an artist, but I try.

That is the lineart.

About as finished as I could do without making it look butchered. I probably fudged up horrible on the shading. Feel free to redline and things.

Offline xajson

Re: Little Help? How Can I improve?
«Reply #1: June 06, 2010, 08:42:07 PM»
I'm not much of an artist either but before you start shading I'd recommend you smooth the lines out more.. I can't explain it but I mean make the line not as think..the black pixels that..I can't explain myself..

Offline Thyme

«Reply #2: June 06, 2010, 09:04:27 PM»
I'm not much of an artist either but before you start shading I'd recommend you smooth the lines out more.. I can't explain it but I mean make the line not as think..the black pixels that..I can't explain myself..

I think I get what you're saying! I need to cut it down to basically one black line instead of several little pixels off the black line, so the line is thinner.

IPGD

«Reply #3: June 06, 2010, 09:37:32 PM»
It's very badly pillow shaded and it's patently obvious that you pay little attention to the actual form of the figure you're shading rather than the configuration of the lines. Shading is not just an accent you throw between your lines to make it look nice; shadows describe the forms of the figure, in the same exact way you use lines to indicate the sharp edges and contours of your subject.

If you approach it incorrectly, without actively visualizing the three dimensional shape of the body, clothes, etc., your shadows will actually serve to further flatten your piece. When you draw something exclusively with lines, you are not omitting information like value and form, you are simply implying it -- our minds do the work for you in filling in the shadows where they should be to describe a proper three dimensional form. When you put down incorrect shadows, that follow no consistency to light sources or three dimensional form, you are visually telling your viewer that the forms of the figure are different than the lines would suggest. Even though the shadows are incorrect, we still attempt to create a "complete" image, but the image we'll see is going to be very different from what you actually intended.

In order to properly indicate form with either line or shadow, you have to understand how light actually works. Although your pixel work is obviously not supposed to be a full, naturalistic depiction of the form, you have to know what you are simplifying to simplify it correctly. This comes right back to implications; you are using a limited palette of pixels, but our minds use those pixels to fill in the "missing" information and read a dimensional form. If you don't understand what magnitude of implied information is carried in the placement of one or two pixels, you will be sending an implied image that is vastly off the mark.

This page has tutorials on light and color that may help you. The other subjects may be of relevance to you as well.

Offline meloni

«Reply #4: June 11, 2010, 08:12:36 PM»
these might help a bit
http://portsbymel.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d11ailj
and
http://portsbymel.deviantart.com/#/dhsb1i

just practice and be patient. it'll take a while to get the hang of things.

Offline Thyme

«Reply #5: August 01, 2010, 12:02:08 PM»
Thank you both very much! :3 I'll practice away!

Silvertongue

«Reply #6: October 24, 2010, 07:02:09 PM»
As for thinning and shaping the lines, first I would bring the line of the orange patch up to help shape her breast, then for the 'thick' black lines around where you have two filled in right next to each other such as this "::" ( be imaginative <<; ) try bringing it down to just one ":" in a row. For the curves and what not, you need to continue this pattern at different angles. Sort of like this "`." if you can understand what I am saying.
 I could make up a whole set of images to explain this, but I'd rather not. So I hope you understand what I'm getting at. ^^;

anything