turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price check and helpful criticism?  (Read 949 times)

Offline meloni

Price check and helpful criticism?
«: June 12, 2010, 10:00:43 AM»
Please don't be too harsh</3 I'm just looking for little tips to get better, or what I'm doing wrong. But please don't go listing practically everything about the port as wrong.
I'm currently selling them for around 3-5gd. I'm leaning more towards 3.
Here are my examples, all but the first two are old.

and, of course, once the person bought the premade (if they bought one instead of commissioning) i would add in the clothes and markings for free..

Chivalry

Re: Price check and helpful criticism?
«Reply #1: June 12, 2010, 11:04:55 AM»
I would focus on your anatomy more than shading. Your shading has improved a lot since I commissioned you for an afk port for an old alt, but your anatomy has not gotten much better.

I would also agree that 3GD is a decent price, considering.

Offline Azula

«Reply #2: June 12, 2010, 12:03:04 PM»
stop doing those animu eyes. they're creepy as shit. inb4 "it's my style" because that's no excuse for eyes that take up 3/4 of the face and make it look creepy as hell.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #3: June 12, 2010, 12:06:36 PM»
yeaaaahh I'd tone down the eyes.. alot

Offline Sync

«Reply #4: June 12, 2010, 01:54:27 PM»
smaller eyes please. the first port was fine in terms of size.

also i would use entirely black lines or entirely the darkest shade to outline. i used to do that thing where i outline the whole thing in black and do the insides in the darkest shade and the only thing it does is make your ports look flatter.

but yeah uh, 3 gd sounds fine.

IPGD

«Reply #5: June 12, 2010, 04:07:35 PM»
You can use gigantic eyes if you really want, but you have to consider how they're actually set into the head instead of going to perfectly round dinner plates floating in an inconsistent place on the face. If you eyes actually looked like they were a part of the head, and not creepy-ass stickers, it would be received much better. I would suggest learning how actual eyes work before you decide to mutilate them into bushbaby freak eyes, though.

Your anatomy is a big dog's breakfast and the way you draw breasts especially makes them look gynecomastic. Breasts are not lumps glued to the chest directly below the collarbone; they anchor to the pectoralis muscle (especially the part which composes the armpit). Looking at female bodybuilders can be helpful for figuring out how the breasts attach relative to the muscles:

Notice how the breast is attached at the bottom of the pectoralis? Never draw the bare breast higher than this; even when it's being lifted by a bra or other clothing, they won't attach as high as you draw them and they will have distinctive cleavage. Obviously, you won't want to be drawing rock hard tits on steroid addled broads, but normal women's breasts follow the same structural guidelines. You just have to imagine the pectoralis.

This woman has gigantic breasts in a push up bra and they're about as high as your first port. She doesn't have monster tits or any notable lift, so they look deflated and too high.

The hands look like mutilated squids; they're way too small and and hang limply off the wrist with no real discernible structure. I'm guessing you had a reference for the first two -- use it. If you didn't, use it. You won't learn to draw hands by hiding them or struggling to draw them from memory when you have no memory of what a proper hand looks like in the first place; you have to look at real hands and draw them over and over and over again until the structure sticks and you can build them procedurally.

Your ports are still badly pillow shaded and it reflects very clearly how you are more focused on the configuration of the line rather than the actual three dimensional forms of the body. You DON'T have to confine shadows to the edges of lines. Try to break down the body into basic geometric shapes and envision how the light strikes its planes. The only place you seem to be drawing any cast shadows is under the breasts; you should be considering the impact of cast shadows on EVERY form of the body. Without cast shadows you give the impression that everything is lit by some kind of omnipresent magical light and it severely flattens the drawing.

You're particularly bad about the pillow shading with hair; you shouldn't be outlining every clump of hair and then indiscriminately filling it in with the brightest shades. There are places on the hair where you won't have garish highlights. Your primary light sources does not hit every area of the hair, so you shouldn't be drawing it like it does. It makes it look like the hair is its own light source.

My signature has links to many books and tutorials that should help you in various areas.

Offline meloni

«Reply #6: June 12, 2010, 08:02:52 PM»
stop doing those animu eyes. they're creepy as shit. inb4 "it's my style" because that's no excuse for eyes that take up 3/4 of the face and make it look creepy as hell.

uh, alright that was kind of rude but I guess it was kind of helpful. but, like i said, the first two are the only recent ones and I had toned it down.

anything