turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pricing?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline La-la

Pricing?
«: April 06, 2008, 12:57:53 AM»
I'm slowly starting to hate this more and more. But it's my first real attempt at a port (so much respektz for you pixel artists).

I've noticed there's a couple of white spots on the markings that I need to take care of. I made the eye colouring the badge colour because I think there's more to choose from colour wise. I'm so bad at this, I really don't understand anything pixel wise xD Uhhhm, yes. So! Redline if you will, or give out other crits and tricks. This is mostly for the lineart. I'm no where near done colouring yet. Also, any tricks for the hair? It looks horrible to me. .. And the eye, too.

Peace, love, and bubblegum #SO!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:28:59 PM by La-la »

Offline Kiaren

Re: Criiitique plz.
«Reply #1: April 06, 2008, 06:54:54 AM»
For the hair, maybe add a few stray strands to make it look a little better. For the eye, I always like to add the light reflection in it.[a white dot :3] But other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Keep up the good work!

Offline La-la

«Reply #2: April 06, 2008, 10:04:03 AM»
For the hair, maybe add a few stray strands to make it look a little better. For the eye, I always like to add the light reflection in it.[a white dot :3] But other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Keep up the good work!

Stray strands like how? :o I haven't finished the rest of the hair, if that's what you mean xD

Offline Mala

«Reply #3: April 06, 2008, 11:45:07 AM»
Very nice lineart, its really clean, I only spot a few places on the hair where its not tidied up like the rest.

Offline Kiaren

«Reply #4: April 06, 2008, 11:45:40 AM»
Just some lines for stray hair strands. :) If you're not done, then basically ignore what I said.

Offline La-la

«Reply #5: April 08, 2008, 02:43:02 PM»

K SO. Still not done with the hair. It's pissing me off. How's it coming along, though? Background okay? I think it looks a bit rushed. What about shading. I have NO clue how to even start xD Any tutorials? Crits? Advice? Does the mouth look gross to anyone else but me? xD

Offline Kratos

«Reply #6: April 08, 2008, 04:28:41 PM»
http://furcartsanctuary.awardspace.com/tutport.shtml
theres some compiled tutorials on there, although the rest of the site's kinda incomplete.
also, the list is incomplete, obviously.
i'll work on that tomorrow, maybe.

i suggest laying down some highlights in blocks (no dithering immediately, do things in BLOCKS first).
and the hair.. well.. theres a mythi hair tutorial that i personally like, but i dont think its on the list and i dont know if i can find it..

Offline La-la

«Reply #7: April 08, 2008, 05:31:28 PM»

Thank you for the tutorials, I'll definitely check them out.

Like this for shading? I also did the eye and eyebrow. :3

Offline La-la

«Reply #8: April 08, 2008, 08:28:48 PM»

I think I'm done? I feel done. Pricing? Any last critique?

Offline Tonks

Re: Pricing?
«Reply #9: April 08, 2008, 09:12:30 PM»
Oooh, very nice. There's something about the hair that I can't put my finger on, though. That's the only thing. I'd say ten dollars or so?

Offline La-la

«Reply #10: April 08, 2008, 09:21:21 PM»
Oooh, very nice. There's something about the hair that I can't put my finger on, though. That's the only thing. I'd say ten dollars or so?

Could it be the ends of the hair? :<

Offline Tonks

«Reply #11: April 08, 2008, 09:47:13 PM»

I'm not sure. D: I'm thinking it's more of the shape/shading of it that's bothering me.

Offline La-la

«Reply #12: April 08, 2008, 09:57:05 PM»

I'm not sure. D: I'm thinking it's more of the shape/shading of it that's bothering me.

Like I said, it's my first port, I have no idea what I'm doing xD Any redlining would be amazing.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #13: April 08, 2008, 10:20:46 PM»

Like I said, it's my first port, I have no idea what I'm doing xD Any redlining would be amazing.
I'm not super either. xD! As far as port art goes, the port I'm working on for your contest is my first real attempt.

Offline La-la

«Reply #14: April 08, 2008, 10:26:26 PM»

I'm not super either. xD! As far as port art goes, the port I'm working on for your contest is my first real attempt.

O WELL THEN XD
Thank you for the advice.

Could anyone possibly redline for me? :x

Lockstep

«Reply #15: April 09, 2008, 12:06:29 AM»
i think critique from an artist to another is hypocritical. telling someone how someones art should be is like telling them to be a different person. and you cant do that!! so this rules! k

your art is unique, id pay like $10 for one if i had money (:

Offline Kratos

«Reply #16: April 09, 2008, 12:45:23 PM»
i like it, but the shading looks a bit flat to me.

first, the darker shade going down the snout in diagonals looks kinda weird - diagonal lines in shading usually does.

i noticed on the arm you also skipped a shade with the highlight, and im not sure that you meant to do that - you could make that a shade darker if you'd like, to make things blend a bit more.

i can't help but think that the highlight on the cheek should extend to the right a bit more, and end in a narrow tip (not too narrow, but i think you know what i mean?)

try not to OVERdither, like at the jaw/bottom of the face - there is a lot of dithering there, and if you look at it in dark colors (like brown on your sample), it's very obvious and looks weird.
try dithering near the ends more and not so much the entire thing - maybe looking at this will help?

the dithering on the snout in this port (sample below) is kinda overdone, but it actually looked good (it's something you really do have to play with)

protip: have "shape position" and "recolored image" both open at all times, so you don't have to zoom out all the time to see your progress, and you can see it in remap colors AND in colors you choose (good to test in dark colors, but black is shitty).

Offline La-la

«Reply #17: April 09, 2008, 04:04:06 PM»
.. thank you for the tips but I'm so cooonfused XD Oh man. I just do not get pixeling #SO Thank you though, I'm gonna go back and retry it.

Offline La-la

«Reply #18: April 09, 2008, 05:15:33 PM»
imgremovedlol.

OKAY let's see.

1 was the original image without the diagonal lines on the snout. On two I fixed some of the chin dithering, and added a highlight in the muzzle. On three, I extended the lines on the cheek shading. On four, I moved the hair over a bit to make it a little less stiff. I still think under the mouth it's missing some shading or something but aaargh I'm getting sick of this one xD
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:37:04 PM by La-la »

Offline Kratos

«Reply #19: April 09, 2008, 05:20:01 PM»
hmm, i think it looks better, but something about the muzzle highlight bugs me a little bit.
not sure what.
to be honest, i think that one might just be me.
i recommend adding in a lighter shade in the center of that highlight (depending on how light that is already, anyway..) to add some more depth, unless it looks way overdone.
be gentle with it, never overdo very light highlights.

btw, not sure if you know, but png --> easy theft.
it's best not to leave it in remapping colors in 95 x 95 size. zoomed in's usually fine, unless someone's nuts enough to replicate pixel by pixel.

Offline La-la

«Reply #20: April 09, 2008, 05:36:41 PM»
Mmkay, just wanted to know your opinion, I'll take it down xD

Thank you SO much for your help. It's a lot harder than it looks xD

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #21: April 10, 2008, 12:21:56 PM»
You have a good thing going on so far. Your line art looks really nice and your shading is lookin pretty good, too. I'd say the more you do this you will notice a lot of your own style developing out of it, which is often times better than "the right way" so long as it looks good. I would price a completed port by you up to $10

Lockstep

«Reply #22: April 11, 2008, 01:55:40 AM»
SEE!!! 10$

Offline majentafox

«Reply #23: April 20, 2008, 05:50:56 AM»
I personally think the hair looks great and don't see what is wrong with it at all. :x

Offline La-la

«Reply #24: April 20, 2008, 10:14:16 AM»
Well thank you very much :)

I did end up selling this for ten dollars, to the alt Rapidash.

anything