turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: critique/suggestions/tips  (Read 1003 times)

Offline skittish

critique/suggestions/tips
«: July 01, 2010, 07:03:26 PM»
my first legitimate portrait -- i am looking for constructive criticism, suggestions, tips; of course supportive comments are always welcome, too! :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:27:59 PM by indie »

Erde

Re: critique/suggestions/tips
«Reply #1: July 01, 2010, 07:12:52 PM»
First of all, don't post a watermarked/anti-theft image and expect critique. It's hard to really tell what's going on in it.

From what I can see, you need to use the palette in the fur like you did in the hair; make sure there are highlights and darker areas, lightsource, the like.

I'm also seeing some pillow shading going on, which should be avoided. I think the biggest thing is that you need to pick a light source and work with more colors from the palette.

I also see a spot of fur-coloring in between her arm and her side that doesn't appear to be intentional. :p Make sure to proof your portraits before you send them out; right size, no misplaced/stray pixels, etc.

Offline Lord

«Reply #2: July 05, 2010, 12:16:21 PM»
here's a tutorial i used when i became interested in ports, to learn about dithering:

http://cb-tomboi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d11ailj

you can find a lot of these on dA, but i liked that one because it's simpler than most.

she's also got some more tutorials in her gallery. i hope those help!

otherwise it's not bad for a first portrait. the lineart may need a little more smoothing out, butyou'll get the hang of that as you keep making portraits--same thing with shading and such. practice makes perfect!

try making another portrait, doing some things differently, and compare back to this portrait later when you're done. you'll be able to decide what you like doing more, what looks better, etc.

Offline Greek

«Reply #3: July 31, 2010, 02:18:53 AM»
Her breasts seem almost balloonish.

Breasts are not make out of bones so gravity affects them, it should have a little sag.

define your lightsource also :)