turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How to make a layer transparent in GIMP.  (Read 696 times)

Offline fara

How to make a layer transparent in GIMP.
«: July 06, 2010, 03:47:27 AM»
I am using the newest version of GIMP. Started drawing a portrait and realized that I was drawing on the background layer without having made a new layer. "No problem," I thought to myself. "I'll just duplicate the layer and erase the background, so I can continue to draw." So I did that and continued drawing, adding other layers for things like hair and markings and other things.
Well the problem with my body outline is that since I duplicated it from the background (the original) layer, the actual background of the layer that the body is on is white. I need it to be transparent so I can color underneath it but I can't figure out how to do this.
Can someone please help?

Offline Marco

Re: How to make a layer transparent in GIMP.
«Reply #1: July 25, 2010, 01:13:21 PM»
the best I can suggest is trying iaza.com. Save the image (best to do save as) and use iaza to transparent the white. Then save it and open it up in gimp, and the background should still be transparent. Add a white layer below if you'd like, and color in between.

By the way, this sort of topic is for the Gallery section, if I remember correctly. I'd contact an admin to move the topic for you. :)
Please contact me via PM or note on dA!

Jon

Re: How to make a layer transparent in GIMP.
«Reply #2: July 26, 2010, 08:52:39 PM»
At the top, go to dialogs > layers. Right click on a layer and press "Add Alpha Channel." That'll give the layer a transparent background.

anything