turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: First stab at an animated portrait. C:  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Astra

First stab at an animated portrait. C:
«: July 24, 2010, 03:06:18 AM»

This is my alt Nor, complete with a bored-to-death expression, blinking eyes, a twitchy ear, and of course, the yawn. x3

To be honest, I'm seriously surprised at how happy I am with it. xD;  I'm not sure how much shading detail I'm willing to draw just yet (this sucker's up to 43 frames already.  The fur is gonna slaughter me xD), but I'm excited about it either way. x3  Based on what I've got so far though, anyone know what a port like this might go for?  And if anyone has any tips/suggestions while you're at it, feel free to mention 'em. ^^;

I was thinking 1 GD per frame or somethin', plus a base cost depending on level of detail and/or complexity of the anim.  Even the short anims can be time consuming. T_T  Here's some examples of what I can do in nine frames maximum:

The walk cycle is three frames, the idle/stand is nine, and the other three are eight. ^^;  The sit anim also doesn't loop.  If you missed it, you'll have to refresh. D:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:29:42 AM by Asjure »

Offline Old Account Please Delete

Re: First stab at an animated portrait. C:
«Reply #1: July 24, 2010, 05:29:34 AM»
For your first stab at an animated portrait, can I say its bloody amazing? I'd love to see what that looks like fully shaded up eue

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #2: July 24, 2010, 09:24:07 AM»
Oh wow, amazing!

Personally, I would pay out of the ass for something of that quality. It's so smooth and flowing.

Offline Kenna

«Reply #3: July 24, 2010, 09:56:02 AM»
Yeah I would pay a bit for it. I really would love it LMAO
Can message me on furc on Leader [No I am not Kori/Snap SORRY]

Offline Astra

«Reply #4: July 24, 2010, 03:24:03 PM»
<3  Thanks guys. :DD

IPGD

«Reply #5: July 24, 2010, 10:12:37 PM»
The frames around where the mouth is fully open look a little awkward (the twitch of the lips just kind of jumps in), but the rest look pretty good.

Fully shaded, you should be charging a lot more than 1GD a frame. You'd basically be doing 43 entire ports, and you could easily get 30GD or more each for this quality. If you get less than 300 dollars for the amount of time that would take I'd probably count that as slave labor.

I don't think there's much of a set market for animated ports yet. You could probably ask for whatever price you want.

Offline Astra

«Reply #6: July 25, 2010, 01:26:59 AM»
Ah, yeah, that yawn-twitch frame had also been bothering me, but I wasn't really sure if it was just me or not.  I'll definitely be fixing that now that someone else has noticed it too.

Slave labor? xD  Wow.  It'd be amazingly helpful if I could get that much, but it seems like an insane asking price just for a port.  Even though it is technically 43 ports.  Iunno.  But yeah, thank you muchly for the comment. <3  I'll definitely keep all this in mind. x3

IPGD

«Reply #7: July 25, 2010, 02:56:44 AM»
Realistically, you probably won't be able to make that much considering your target demographic is 15 year old girls, the destitute and a big collective of people who severely undervalue the worth of art in general, but that is a hell of a lot of work. Even if you only spend an hour a frame, 300 dollars is still under minimum wage.

Offline Astra

«Reply #8: July 25, 2010, 04:10:20 PM»
Yeah, that's the thing. :/  I've seen alts go for several hundred though, but then instances like that are really rare.  But yeah, trying to come up to minimum wage with still ports is also why I charge so much for them.  And even then I still don't. xD  Ah well.  I'll play around with prices and see how it turns out.

Oh, also.  I love your site.  Your "On Style and Progression" article is dead on.  I wish more artists would learn that way.

Offline Lothus

«Reply #9: July 26, 2010, 03:35:41 PM»
Just to add my own note, I have to say I love the animation. All too many are REALLY static, only one or two things moving at a time - the yawn is awesome there. :D

Offline Astra

«Reply #10: July 26, 2010, 07:03:57 PM»
Thank you. c:  And yeah, the few animations I've seen mostly just deal with blinking, so I wanted to try something with a lot more movement. :B

anything