turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WIP, Help Shade  (Read 1990 times)

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
WIP, Help Shade
«: April 11, 2008, 12:26:37 PM»
NEW THING AS OF APRIL 22!

NEED CRIT ON HOW TO DO SKIN TEXTURE....i fail at humans! XD I can draw them, and i can line-art them, but i cant shade them, so now someone TEACH MEEEEEEEEE!  XD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:40:53 PM by Jacki~ »

Offline Mala

Re: Crit my shading!
«Reply #1: April 11, 2008, 12:34:58 PM»
Hehe, thats adorable! xD

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: April 11, 2008, 12:43:33 PM»
well, i can't really crit the shading because the quality is reduced so much, but i will say that dragonflies don't fly like that.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: April 11, 2008, 12:47:22 PM»
Its not a dragonfly. Its a magic flying worm.. and there's the download button to get a closer look at the item in the FSH.

And yes, he is adorable...this is what might take over the world when dragonflies and worms are bred together XD

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Re: help my accused shading
«Reply #4: April 16, 2008, 10:07:48 PM»
OK, new thing to help me with

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Re: WIP, Help Shade
«Reply #5: April 17, 2008, 02:45:22 PM»
anyone?

Offline La-la

«Reply #6: April 17, 2008, 02:57:16 PM»
.. Get a girlfriend who shades for you. ..'S what I did. xD

Kidding.

http://search.deviantart.com/?section=browse&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&q=furc+tutorial

Check out some tutorials via Deviantart to get some visual tips. Check out as many as possible to see all the different techniques.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #7: April 17, 2008, 08:40:44 PM»
I've tried tutorials, i've tried ALOT of tutorials. Thats why i stated in my first post they dont work for me X.x

Offline La-la

«Reply #8: April 17, 2008, 08:43:08 PM»
Then er, what sort of help are you looking for? xD

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #9: April 17, 2008, 08:50:42 PM»
Like...shade over help or something of the sort. I got something like that in my previous topic, but i dunno >< Tutorials have never worked.

Offline Tillandsia

«Reply #10: April 18, 2008, 03:32:04 PM»
I think what you've got so far looks pretty good. Shading in portraits is a really tricky thing- it's just something that you need to play with and figure out what way works best for you.

I suggest adding some shadows, you have some good highlights, but under the jaw and under the arm could use some darker tones. :)

^^Hamber + Sasquatch!^^

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: April 18, 2008, 07:15:01 PM»
I think what you've got so far looks pretty good. Shading in portraits is a really tricky thing- it's just something that you need to play with and figure out what way works best for you.

I suggest adding some shadows, you have some good highlights, but under the jaw and under the arm could use some darker tones. :)

I'm working on the shadowing right now >< And i completely erased the hair cause i hated it ><

Offline Booker

«Reply #12: April 18, 2008, 07:25:09 PM»
do you mind if i take a swing at (trying) to be helpful? i might be able to show you a few things that help

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: April 18, 2008, 09:05:52 PM»
Please do try ><

Offline Booker

«Reply #14: April 18, 2008, 09:45:46 PM»
alright, let's see..

Fur: you've dithered.. a lot. dithering is great, but you've dithered a bit more than necessary, i think. while it looks good with white, with some other shades that dithering will look just a bit chunky. the shape is generally good, but a few things could be improved.

for dithering, i drew this:

you've done a good job so far, it just needs a little something.

Hair: is annoying to shade. it really, really is. i don't know how some people have the patience to do it, because mine takes me a while but it doesn't look so bad. with hair, you really need to sit back, relax, and take your time. i know this really sucks to hear, but you may want to try and do it strand for strand. i can make a seperate pic for this if it'll help.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but take a gander at this:

(i'm assuming it's a girl from here on out, i dont think the gender matters at this point)

of course, you'll be dithering (i think) and i just stuck it into sai and colored where general highlights should be, etc etc. there are some things that i changed that you certainly don't have to, i just thought i'd throw it out there.
The hair: hm. i curved it down a bit. maybe the wind is blowing her long luscious locks or what have you.. but unless she's standing right over a high powered fan, the angle her hair is going upwards is a little awkward. i also added a few extra strands. these can look nice, but they aren't necessary.
The shoulder: just tried to show off the one in the back a little more.
The eye: try some slightly darker shading around the eye, but don't make it too dramatic. a little darker shading will help it blend

one more thing that's completely optional

Anti-Aliasing: i don't know if you've heard of it, but i don't see a ton of port artists use it a lot.

it makes lines look smoother, but you have to know where to use it and where not to, or it will look silly. it takes practice.

this port uses anti-aliasing, specifically on the collar bones and face.

i don't know if this helps at all, but i hope something in it was useful. sorry it's so long @[email protected]

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: April 18, 2008, 10:45:33 PM»
Actually that helps alot >< More than what you think. I think the reason why i have so much trouble with the hair, is because i have barely any patience >< I'll look at the one you posted of myne, since thats what i was looking for all along  :P Really appreaciate it, but i dont know how long this is gonna last me until i start complaining again XD

Offline Booker

«Reply #16: April 18, 2008, 10:55:02 PM»
xD i'm glad it helps. yeah, hair is really the least fun part of a port. it's really frustrating sometimes, and it takes practice aswell. you've got so much potential though; you're good now, but if you keep going you'll definitely be amazing at ports C:

Offline sarragh

«Reply #17: April 19, 2008, 12:32:59 AM»
.. don't talk shit about hair, clint. It's my favourite.

Offline Booker

«Reply #18: April 19, 2008, 12:34:59 AM»
i'm sorry ;_;

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: April 19, 2008, 11:24:36 AM»
O.o dont fight please?

Anyways, i updated the port a bit. Dunno about it. I'm working on the front hair, but have no idea how to do the back hair ><

><

Offline Booker

«Reply #20: April 19, 2008, 11:46:01 AM»
are you using a mouse or tablet?

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #21: April 19, 2008, 11:53:11 AM»
I have to use a mouse

Offline sarragh

«Reply #22: April 19, 2008, 11:55:35 AM»
That'd be my alley then. Use the straight-line tool like it's the only one you have.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #23: April 19, 2008, 02:29:32 PM»

The final product. How does that look?

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #24: April 19, 2008, 04:07:12 PM»
added background XD