turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Portrait Set Worth?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline fb

Portrait Set Worth?
«: April 14, 2008, 03:24:26 PM»
What would you pay?

I've been doing the math today!
Defaults (27)
-   Canine
-   Feline
-   Rodent
-   Musteline
-   Equine
-   Lapine
-   Scurian
-   Bovine
-   Ursine
Mythics   (15)
-   Dragon
-   Gryphon
-   Phoenix
-   Kitterwing
-   Unicorn
Ferian   (12)
-   Wolven
-   Tygard
-   Leonen
-   Foxen
Gendered (3)
-   Furling

(57) x 2 = 114

If I did a complete port set, I think rather than selling it as a one-pop go, I'd want to make it a donation item.  Aka- you donate so much, and I give you the set.  It's a good way to charge less, while letting more people (who are willing to pay) get ahold of a nice patch.  The thing is, what do must pay for a set?  Even just charging $2 per port, I'd be asking $114 per donation.

However, I wouldn't think people'd be willing to pay that much for something that wouldn't be exclusively theirs.

On the other hand, I could charge $57 as the donation fee, but to get back the money I'd make selling each port seperately, I'd have to get at least fifteen people to take interest and pay.

With seasonals?

Seasonals (21)
-   Penguin
-   Bat
-   Kiwi
-   Floxen
-   Werewolf
-   Chinchilla
-   Toaster
57 + 21 = 78

That'd make a $2 ea set 156, or a $1 ea set $78.

So how does one make money on sets?  I've been trying to do the math, and it really seems more advantageous to do them all and sell them seperately!  DISCUSS!

(And if it makes any diff- http://ferabird.deviantart.com)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:09:35 PM by fb »

Offline Narnia

Re: Portrait Set Worth?
«Reply #1: April 14, 2008, 03:49:11 PM»
I notice that (off the top of my head) you didn't list Floxes, Kiwis, Penguins, Bats, Werewolves, or Toasters.

That's 15 more right there.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline fb

«Reply #2: April 14, 2008, 04:02:58 PM»
Yeah, I didn't list the seasonals. >_>  I tend to not think of them as standard avas...  Lemme add them in.

Offline Tate

«Reply #3: April 14, 2008, 04:13:03 PM»
I would actually charge five dollars a species, as most people don't use the whole sets. And then add that all up, and take a quarter discount off for buying the WHOLE set.

-Shrugs.- x3;

Offline fb

«Reply #4: April 14, 2008, 04:41:33 PM»
That'd work for selling it, but in the end that massive discount means you could have made a lot more money selling them seperately!

What I'm wondering is how to sell a set without effectively losing money.  I'm not a cash whore, but if I do all that work, I sure as hell want to make sure it was worth the sweat, blood, and tears! D8

Offline Hugo

«Reply #5: April 14, 2008, 10:06:33 PM»
Sell it multiple times. I've seen a lot of patch and dream port artists who sell the right to display port sets or use dream patches multiple times with no problems.

That way they get what they pay for (a set of dream ports for a reasonable price) and you get what you work for (proper compensation).

Offline Tate

«Reply #6: April 14, 2008, 10:13:11 PM»
That's what I was saying. -Points to hugo's post.- Selling multiple liscences.

Offline fb

«Reply #7: April 15, 2008, 12:35:41 AM»
Ohhhhhhhhh....

I didn't get it when you said it for some reason XD

Hnnn... This is good.  I've been wanting to do a port set as a project, but it didn't sem like it'd be worth the effort.  Now the question becomes, what range of pricing is acceptable for a port set that would have to go shared?  I know the sets cost a LOT because well.... they're worth it.

BUT

Would you pay (if you had the money)
$78 for a port set?
$156 for a port set?
This while knowing that others would have the opportunity to purchase it as well?
(And I know skill is a huge part of that, thus why I slapped a link on the first post)

Offline Hugo

«Reply #8: April 15, 2008, 10:37:52 AM»
78 sounds like it would draw more customers even if you have great quality. I wouldn't go higher unless you don't think multiple people will buy.

For example, if it's generic and you allow people to make edits, then you can get away with a lower price. But if it's more specific with no editing allowed, you would jack your price to factor in for less people buying it.

Offline Sierra

«Reply #9: July 03, 2008, 07:00:23 AM»
I would definitely buy a port set for $78 bucks, and I'm sure other people would too. Depending on how many people like it, you could end up with a lot more money than expected. Hugo does have a good idea about the price factors too.