turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique  (Read 987 times)

Offline Jemmeh

Critique
«: October 26, 2010, 01:16:23 PM»
Hello~
I'd love some critique on some of my ports. Do you notice anything in most of my ports that could use some fixin? :3

I've posted all of my newer ones but I'd like some feedback on this one in particular:
--
Ferals... o.o I'm not so awesome with 'em xD
This would be my first attempt. O__O

Remaps:

Non Remap
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:18:19 PM by Jemmeh »

Offline Tain

Re: Critique
«Reply #1: October 26, 2010, 01:57:23 PM»
what kind of dog is it supposed to be..
i think the nose is too small, muzzle is too pointed (unless it was a fox, then in that case it is also too long). The eyes are too close (move the one facing us a smidge to the right) and the head is.. kind of weird shaped and i think might be a little short (head to muzzle ratio, check the breed standard for whatever it is and it'll tell you)
i think your cheek fluff is a little too high and i'm not sure what the white stuff is.

the collar looks like it was just pasted on there, not like its actually a part of the dog/wolf/thing and the shading is really messy.

i'm horrible at explaining stuff and attempted to redline it but that attempt was kind of sad so i scrapped it. ):

Offline Jemmeh

«Reply #2: October 26, 2010, 03:53:03 PM»
The reference picture I used was a wolf/dog hybrid from what the description said x:

I see what you're talking about with several things and I will work on that next time ^^

The "cheek fluff" was just the markings on the dog, however. >w>;

@[email protected]

Offline Para

«Reply #3: October 28, 2010, 03:51:29 PM»
I agree with everything she said other than the cheek fluff. I don't feel it is too high up, but something in that area is bothering me too - and I found it is the neck. Or, lack therof. Wolves or wolfdogs do have really fluffy necks but the neck in the port has little definition in being a neck. It just seems to go from head to chest.

Definitely the first three things have been said above. The muzzle is turned up, the forehead area between the eyes and ears is too short, and the eyes are just a little close.

As for shading, that's a whole other monster itself. I would worry more about perfecting your lines before you get heavy into shading. I will point out though, your biggest problem. You are trying to shade fur, and its difficult to get the texture PLUS the lighting source right. You have a pretty good grasp on the texture of fur, but the wolfdog looks "flat". It looks flat for really two reasons - you don't have a consistant light source, and you were so worried about the fur texture you didn't factor in parts that should be lighter than others (like, if your light source is on the left, the left side of the furry neck will be lighter than the right)

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #4: October 28, 2010, 10:15:14 PM»
I agree with pretty much everything said, except for having the texture of fur. What you're doing there is a pretty common mistake for people first shading fur. I admit that I have to perfect keeping my light source constant when I do fur, but it's easier to add back in the light source after you understand fur texture. I don't want to be mean, but you pretty much have nothing but scribbles there for "fur". Furc can sometimes be hard to shade and texture even when looking at reference photos, and this is because those photos are typically of multicolored animals. To better understand the layout of fur, try referencing animals with solid coat colors, this way you aren't distracted by patterns and the many different colors. Here's a pretty good photo to look at for fur. http://howlingforjustice.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/black-wolf.jpg Also keep in mind that, even though nature doesn't always have dramatic shifts in color or lighting, it is naturally more appealing to humans to have greater contrast. So don't be affraid to really throw in some dark shades to help define your fur.
Visit my site-> http://rext-rex.webs.com

currently have alts on sale! http://altmarket.net/index.php?topic=31876.msg468272#msg468272

I am adorifying!