turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My art worth commission?  (Read 2231 times)

Cremello

• Topic Author
My art worth commission?
«: January 05, 2008, 09:36:21 AM»
Better Verison of them

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/MeganNight/mekiaoref.jpg
(ref made out of pure pixel)

I have been improving a lot over the last few monthes, but I need opinions to see if my commission is worth any of anyone's money/spaces.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:19:35 PM by Cremello »

Sesruc

• Topic Author
Re: My art worth commission?
«Reply #1: January 05, 2008, 12:09:09 PM»
You're off to a good start already!

Honestly, if I were you, I'd worry less about wondering if my art was worth purchasing. For now, work on shading hair and human proportions (if you're interested in anthros, etc.).

Cremello

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: January 05, 2008, 01:32:17 PM»
You're off to a good start already!

Honestly, if I were you, I'd worry less about wondering if my art was worth purchasing. For now, work on shading hair and human proportions (if you're interested in anthros, etc.).
I have been improving with that, and thank you for your opinion

Offline Mala

«Reply #3: January 06, 2008, 04:41:05 AM»
Yes! I think you'd do great commisions! <3

Your ferals looks great to me, and the anthro has minimal tweaks it needs, but overall, I'm sure you're ready to start commisioning! x3

Offline Morgan

«Reply #4: January 07, 2008, 07:51:55 AM»
nooot quite. your grasp on anatomy is pretty atrocious and your shading is pretty shabby. you have the basic idea of light sources down, but you aren't executing it well at all.

Cremello

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: January 07, 2008, 03:49:18 PM»
nooot quite. your grasp on anatomy is pretty atrocious and your shading is pretty shabby. you have the basic idea of light sources down, but you aren't executing it well at all.
Hmmmm maybe it's just how paint messed it up, and I'm still trying to work on shading

Your ferals looks great to me, and the anthro has minimal tweaks it needs, but overall, I'm sure you're ready to start commisioning! x3

Thank you ;o

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:37:35 PM by Cremello »

Offline Bayleigh

«Reply #6: January 07, 2008, 05:05:24 PM»
I agree with Morgan. You're anatomy is shaky and your shading is ehhh. Keep practicing, maybe with some work you could do commissions, but not yet.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #7: January 08, 2008, 04:31:35 PM»
Hmmmm maybe it's just how paint messed it up, and I'm still trying to work on shading

Thank you ;o

don't go blaming it on the gif format you save it in. if you don't want it to fuck up, save it as a png. no one is going to want to steal this anyway. believe me.

Offline Lord

«Reply #8: January 12, 2008, 04:57:47 AM»
though morgan said it in a very forward way, i think that's really the best way to put things in some cases. (saving in png format would be better to do when you're looking for critique, though. it gives a bit of a better view of the picture.)

you do need practice *though i'm probably not one to talk here* with anatomy. you are off to a decent start, perhaps not to the point where you can charge a somewhat 'normal' fare (around 5 gd).

i'd start making a few free portraits at a time, for friends or something, then when you improve, maybe see if you start getting comissions

Offline Sync

«Reply #9: January 12, 2008, 01:35:54 PM»
pretty much what morgan said. the antomy is off in multiple areas.

and there is absolutely no flow in the characters at all. they look like robots.

Cremello

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: January 13, 2008, 02:19:04 PM»

and there is absolutely no flow in the characters at all. they look like robots.
LOL they do?

Jew:
Thankies, I've been working on my shading and antomy <- that big word(lol)

This is my newest port and I just colored to protect, no matter how aweful a port is theives will take an advantage of it.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/MeganNight/Untitled-45.jpg

Offline Glory

«Reply #11: January 13, 2008, 03:16:24 PM»
The second ports neck looks sort of long (especialy considering theres more neck under the scarf.)
The shading does has a light point, but your shading right now isnt being focused on i can tell. (each hair's shading should varry a little to give it texture, not all generically the same thing. And the hair shouldnt be unless greasy SHINEYMETALFLATSERFACE look for where the hair is.).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:18:22 PM by Kosh »

Offline Sync

«Reply #12: January 13, 2008, 05:27:02 PM»

LOL they do?

yeah lol, which is where probably studying anime might help.

even though anime doesn't have perfect proportions, the flow is absolutely amazing.

Cremello

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: January 13, 2008, 06:57:52 PM»
The second ports neck looks sort of long (especialy considering theres more neck under the scarf.)
The shading does has a light point, but your shading right now isnt being focused on i can tell. (each hair's shading should varry a little to give it texture, not all generically the same thing. And the hair shouldnt be unless greasy SHINEYMETALFLATSERFACE look for where the hair is.).

I try to shade hair, but it always come out aweful for me -_-;
And yea it's just the neck is really puffy and I tried to show a little of the shoulder under the scarf pretty much a fail at shading.

Sana:
Lol, well I have been for quite a while now

Offline Adielle

«Reply #14: January 13, 2008, 09:10:36 PM»

A bit harsh, don't you think?  Especially coming from an artist who doesn't have perfect anatomy in her sketches herself.  Why not help by giving this girl advice on WHAT areas need fixing, rather then just being straightforward to the point of rude?  Its not a problem being straightforward, but its not that hard to think of a nicer way to do so.

As for the portraits, I myself do not draw ferals, and therefore cannot really help on their anatomy.  The anthro piece you have, however, could use some better facial anatomy.  Find yourself a fashion magazine you might have lying around, take a look at the people's faces and study them.  Practice drawing a few just for yourself, it may help you (though I can't promise that).  On another note, the head is bigger than the body.  If thats the style and look your gonig for, thats up to you, but it may have been something you might not have realized. 

Halothane on DA (Bree/Aria/Banda), once gave me a pose website when I was first attempting to make my work better.  It may be helpful to you as well.  :)  Pose Maniacs is a great website.  You can open up each image and it rotates a few different ways, so that you can view the body structure in different angles.  Hopefully it will help.  <3

Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Pumpkin

«Reply #15: January 14, 2008, 08:46:39 AM»
The fact that you try, THAT is what will make you better. Taking into account what other have said.. some with a pinch of salt at times, perhaps study up on some of the numerous tutorials on deviantart for shading help? You'll get anatomy with practice. Many of us are not ace on it, yet. Don't fret.
-Quit Furcadia. HARK.-

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #16: January 14, 2008, 11:26:58 AM»
Haha, yeah.
I'm not up to par with anatomy either.

But also remember that most tutorials are not exact. They are just run throughs on how a specific artist does his or her own work. The best way to learn is to draw what you see. Like. I guess. Through photography and real life.

Offline Pumpkin

«Reply #17: January 14, 2008, 12:38:07 PM»
Haha, yeah.

But also remember that most tutorials are not exact. They are just run throughs on how a specific artist does his or her own work. The best way to learn is to draw what you see. Like. I guess. Through photography and real life.
True.

Doesn't help to get a little push in a direction, though.
-Quit Furcadia. HARK.-

Cremello

• Topic Author
«Reply #18: January 14, 2008, 03:18:04 PM»

A bit harsh, don't you think?  Especially coming from an artist who doesn't have perfect anatomy in her sketches herself.  Why not help by giving this girl advice on WHAT areas need fixing, rather then just being straightforward to the point of rude?  Its not a problem being straightforward, but its not that hard to think of a nicer way to do so.

As for the portraits, I myself do not draw ferals, and therefore cannot really help on their anatomy.  The anthro piece you have, however, could use some better facial anatomy.  Find yourself a fashion magazine you might have lying around, take a look at the people's faces and study them.  Practice drawing a few just for yourself, it may help you (though I can't promise that).  On another note, the head is bigger than the body.  If thats the style and look your gonig for, thats up to you, but it may have been something you might not have realized. 

Halothane on DA (Bree/Aria/Banda), once gave me a pose website when I was first attempting to make my work better.  It may be helpful to you as well.  :)  Pose Maniacs is a great website.  You can open up each image and it rotates a few different ways, so that you can view the body structure in different angles.  Hopefully it will help.  <3

Thank you all for the help this does help, and my style is suppose to be anime kinda style but yea I'm still working on it. Maybe it is just my style, but I really don't know why my human heads look a bit too big, or were you talking about the feral?

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: January 14, 2008, 05:14:04 PM»
Haha, yeah.

True.

Doesn't help to get a little push in a direction, though.

Yep.
In a positive direction, hopefully. o.0;

anything