turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A portrait refund?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Doze

A portrait refund?
«: December 05, 2010, 07:12:40 PM»
I recently saw that someone that commissioned a buddy of mine asked for a refund because the port wasn't what she wanted. imo, the port looked fantastic.

how do you feel about picky people that commission you, but later ask for you to give them a refund because they didn't like it?

Offline Heimdall

Re: A portrait refund?
«Reply #1: December 05, 2010, 08:43:50 PM»
I will never refund a finished piece.

Offline Glaciel

«Reply #2: December 05, 2010, 08:45:13 PM»
Asking for a full refund imo is not very nice nor polite and is a bit extreme (unless the artist really did a poor/crappy job compared to other art pieces, which, in the other hand isn't cool either)
If anything the port artist should keep part of the payment for the trouble. Otherwise, they could offer to redo the portrait and just sell the orignal as a premade, which is another option.

But this also shows the importance of showing people a sketch before going ahead and colouring something. Make sure it's to the commissionner's liking before risking it any further and to avoid problems like this to arise.
If however a sketch was showed and the person liked it originally, I wouldn't give them a refund at all unless I had absolutely no problem with editing it and reselling(which is highly unlikely), heh, but that's just me.

Offline Sync

«Reply #3: December 06, 2010, 01:52:58 AM»
if the commissioner was happy with the sketch and various WIPs, i won't refund them if they suddenly decide they're unhappy with the finished product.

Offline Spellplague

«Reply #4: December 06, 2010, 04:21:45 PM»
if the commissioner was happy with the sketch and various WIPs, i won't refund them if they suddenly decide they're unhappy with the finished product.

This. I tend to show WIPs at the sketch, lineart and then at least two of the colouring stage. If someone says 'ok' to all of those but turns around at the end and says no, it's a no-go for a refund.
Contact
(faz/fam/da/rpr) spellplague

Offline Archery

«Reply #5: December 06, 2010, 04:37:35 PM»

^  That

I tell people to tell me at the sketch stage that if they don't like it, cancel or ask for a re-draw. Do not tell me once it's done. 
If it's finished, I did the work and you initially approved it.  Pay up.
  [Insert Cool Stuff Here] 

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #6: December 06, 2010, 05:39:04 PM»
The most important way to try to avoid this is to show WIPs of several stages, especially the sketch. I actually get pretty annoyed when I commission someone who never shows any WIP whatsoever until the final product, and usually something is missing/wrong with it. (Doesn't mean I didn't still fall in love with the piece though!)
However I think in this case, maybe a partial refund would be wise ONLY IF they didn't get to see any WIPS and the piece truly can't be fixed.
I'm actually being commissioned by someone right now who basically stated "I'll only pay if I like it". Luckily... they love it :I
As for a refund after someone saw WIPs.. they have no right to demand their money back after all the work you did.

Erde

«Reply #7: December 08, 2010, 11:42:45 AM»

This also. If I've already started, I won't do a refund unless it's an emergency situation. However, I've never had a problem with commissioners asking for a refund, just dropping. Though I have had picky customers, I usually just work with them until they're satisfied, since I'm a pretty lenient artist and never swamped in commissions.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #8: December 17, 2010, 01:18:00 PM»
Sometimes the sketch looks better then the finished product. In cases like that, I would ask for a refund, mainly because it IS my money, and I can choose to pay for it if I want to. (Most of the time, I pay AFTER, because if I don't like it, I won't pay for it~) I've never actually declined to pay someone for their work, but in the future, if the finished result just isn't what I expected, I have absolutely no intention to pay for it. I'm very lenient with artists and I allow them their own creative outlets on what I commission, because I'm not entirely picky with the artist's rendition of my character. I'm just picky with who I commission, because style matters, etc etc. So if I'm not in the least bit happy about what I get, you won't be paid.

Ridiculous analogy, but if someone made you a shirt and the finished product didn't look as good as you hoped, would you still pay for it? Same goes for, idk, a birthday cake. I sure as shit wouldn't. I don't expect someone to pay me if they don't like what they're getting. You expect to buy a pepperoni pizza, when it gets to your door it has sausage and like.. one pepperoni on it. Would you call the pizza place and demand a refund or sit sadly with something you didn't want?

If you show me stages, up until the finished product (shading stages especially, lol) and I don't voice my opinion on things that need to be changed, I should pay for it, yeah. But not if you only show me a sketch and then a finished product. Where are the in betweens? When was I able to tell you I didn't like how you shaded the face? AFTER you're done and asking for payment? I know quite a few artists who refuse to redo their work after they ask for payment. I think that shit is mad shady btw!

And IMO, your opinion isn't the customer's opinion, which is what matters. So you can say your friend's port looked like a million bucks, but you're not the one who commissioned it, so whether or not you like it doesn't actually matter lol.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:27:00 PM by ADALEINE »

Offline creepmachine

«Reply #9: December 17, 2010, 01:50:53 PM»
I always show a commissioner a sketch before they even pay, and several WIPs if they're around and active. If I finish a port and only then do they admit they don't like it and want a refund, I think I'm still entitled to a portion of what I was paid because I spent the time and effort trying to do what was asked of me. In cases like those I offer a partial refund. Unfortunately if someone pays me with WoW gametime I can't refund it at all, and I make it known on my thread :(

anything