turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Here's a question for you,  (Read 567 times)

Offline Sherlock

Here's a question for you,
«: January 23, 2011, 04:43:21 PM»
Why is there virtually no market for patchers. Or virtually no patchers.

I mean, Furcadia depends on dreams. And I'd think that the market to alter these environments into literally ANYTHING you want would be booming... but it doesn't seem so.

Looking for a couple other thoughts here.

Offline Zim

Re: Here's a question for you,
«Reply #1: January 23, 2011, 11:22:56 PM»
Patching is a pain in the ass to learn how to do properly.

A lot of people (myself included) just don't seem to want to bother.

It also tends to be incredibly expensive to purchase custom patches from the few artists that do. They are able to charge more because the market is so scarce.

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: January 24, 2011, 10:02:24 AM»
i can do patches but i don't know how to price them really.
it also takes bloody forever. half a patch set i did for a roleplay dream took two months. i'd do them anyway though if i knew that there were buyers for it though lol.

Offline Galleta

«Reply #3: February 01, 2011, 06:48:55 PM»
I agree with Zim, it's pretty tedious to learn to do right.
And tiny pixels can just be a pain.

But it really is surprising there isn't a bigger market for patchers, although, if you make a dream you'd also have to have DS and what-not. So you're either gonna have to learn that crazy stuff to go with your beautiful, commissioned patches...or commission ANOTHER person for DS.

Pricey.
Especially with the abundance of free patches on all the archives.

Erde

«Reply #4: February 03, 2011, 11:51:24 AM»
Also agreeing with Zim that they are tedious, require a lot of work, thus are usually quite expensive.

But another part I'd like to bring up that I believe there's a small market is that:

A. There are plenty of free patches that are well done, why spend money when you can just use/modify those?

B. There are few dreams these days that get more than 20 people other than a few in FurN, Imag, and AI (and AI I'm not even sure about), but every other map and its dreams seem to be abandoned.

C. No one's making new dreams because of this: They do with free patches usually as placeholders, IF the dream gets busy. But the sad, sad truth is that they never do, despite the idea being creative or the dream being well-made, it just doesn't seem to be a good market anymore, which in my opinion is quite disappointing, as I love making dreams. One of the best things Furc gives us for free.

If there was more of a push to get people to go to dreams, stay in dreams, and just enjoy seeing what other people have created, I bet it would be easier to bring the market back, but it just doesn't seem like that'll ever happen. After all, with the implementation of whipser-windows, hardly anyone RPs outside of them. :/