turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: About those patch errors  (Read 1538 times)

Offline "Z"

About those patch errors
«: February 09, 2011, 09:06:10 PM»
There are WAY too many patch files for download that are corrupt, to name them one by one. I would say a good 90% of the one's I've looked at that are .zip files, are corrupt.

There's a "report download" link there. but..are they just not being reported?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:09:30 PM by "Z" »

Offline Sync

Re: About those patch errors
«Reply #1: February 10, 2011, 04:54:37 PM»
getting the same error with a lot of these. pretty much anything that was a zip file, fox files are fine.

these zip files are fine though:
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=779
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=792
but i haven't found anything uploaded prior to november 20 that has worked, so maybe something to do with time? idk.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #2: February 15, 2011, 06:29:41 PM»
First, files are not being reported.

Second, very few people are adding new files. A majority of the files were painstakingly added by me and somehow along the way the files on the server became corrupted and I no longer have the back-up files (or at least uncorrupted versions of them).

Finally, the section of the site may be completely removed because of this problem and the lack of contribution from the community. At this point, I wish Roamheart would change their mind and work with me to integrate the two sites together, but they took a solid stance that they would not do so.

(Really, they could continue storing and hosting their site and let me just query their database and hotlink to the files so that people on FAZ could find them. I would even redirect to their site for the final download so they still get their traffic. So if you know anyone over there that could make it happen, have them talk to me. I could even license the database.)

I hate to admit it, but the download section of this site turned into a major failure when I lost a ton of files to corruption. I'm sorry about that.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Calib

«Reply #3: February 24, 2011, 11:36:23 PM»
Finally, the section of the site may be completely removed because of this problem and the lack of contribution from the community. At this point, I wish Roamheart would change their mind and work with me to integrate the two sites together, but they took a solid stance that they would not do so.

Please don't remove it! I honestly like FAZ's patch archive better as you can actually search it. There also are patches here that Roamheart doesn't have due to either sites dying or people not uploading them there. The fact that there are thousands of downloads and views shows that there are people coming here. This site is not unused.

I can reupload all of my patch uploads if needed, however, I can't reupload over others' uploads. If I gave you uncorrupted versions of broken files, could you reupload them and make a backup? I have quite a few files and can find more, I just need to know what to get you!

If we can fix the corrupted files (as many as possible) and get the word out better, I think FAZ's patch area could take off. People stick to Roamheart out of habit. They really aren't better, and I think their unwillingness to cooperate is sad.

If you do decide to delete the patch archive, it should be restarted from scratch with two changes:
  • Frequent backups on an outside source. The backups should be archived, not overwritten, too. Maybe switch providers if the errors were caused by the provider? Adding in a "revert" button that fetches an archived version if a patch breaks could also be cool, but maybe added later.
  • Replace the "username uploaded by" with a column for putting in the patch creator's name. This will make it look like more people are posting here while making it easier to credit the author. not putting a name in makes the slot default to the uploader's name.  The uploader's name can go inside the patch download page marked as "uploaded by"

I'm not afraid to "dump" my collection if it will give this place a kickstart. I just don't want a good idea to die because of a server error.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:57:32 PM by Calib »

Offline Narnia

«Reply #4: February 25, 2011, 07:37:27 AM»
If you provide me with an uncorrupted version of a patch, I can fix it in the archive.

As for your other suggestions, I had backups of the site on my computer locally. Unfortunately, the don't go back far enough because the corruption errors apparently lingered for quite a while. I can upgrade my hosting to provide additional back-up services, but as is always said there has only been one person to ever buy a subscription to FAM or FAZ and continually renew it.

I like your suggestion for changing the uploaded by columns and will see what I can do.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline sht

«Reply #5: March 02, 2011, 05:53:02 PM»
I have some of the non-corrupted feral avs and such stored on my comp.

anything