turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: important question!  (Read 1128 times)

jabber

• Topic Author
important question!
«: March 01, 2011, 04:21:08 PM»
Alright, my friend wants me to post this for her since she doesn't have a FAZ.

i have been drawing for a long time now, and i -do- trace poses; i mean only like the shape of the body, the outline of it. i do the hair, clothes, face, ears, tail, ect by myself, i do not trace those.  i am also a free artist and mainly draw for my friends in the meantime - so i am not making any profit from it. since you can't technicaly copyright a pose? i don't know, i'm just curious.. the question is, is it wrong, against the rules, ect?

Offline Zim

Re: important question!
«Reply #1: March 01, 2011, 04:26:02 PM»
This is kind of a tricky question to answer, so I'll try to give my own opinion about it as best I can.

Is she using photographs intended for stock purposes (such as [email protected])? If so, then there shouldn't be a huge problem with it, since those kinds of photos are intended for things like that, though it usually varies from stock maker to stock maker.

If she's tracing other peoples' art for poses, yes, it is very much against the rules. It falls under the umbrella of "theft," since it is taking a piece of art somebody else worked hard on and tracing it and calling it their own, despite adding their own details. We've run into this problem many times before, where people will take an existing portrait and edit such details. In the end, you still didn't draw it, and stole it from another person.

A bit more detail on what she does to accomplish her work would be helpful, since "tracing" is a broad category; there are things people make they allow you to trace, and others they do not.

jabber

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: March 01, 2011, 04:43:14 PM»
yes, all images i use are from stockphoto.com (i don't think that's the exact website name, but it's all stock photos), stocks from deviantart. i give credit when is needed, ect.  here's an example of what i do:

stock used: http://fav.me/d1zqra5
my photo: http://i51.tinypic.com/2i8hc06.png

as you can see; i only traded the body, and added my own hair, ect.

so, would that be considered theft?

Offline Sync

«Reply #3: March 01, 2011, 05:51:21 PM»
i'm going to say the deviantart stock is probably fine for personal use, but she might want to watch it with some other sites. for example, a lot of istockphoto.com's stock, you need to pay a fee before being allowed to do whatever with it.

jabber

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: March 02, 2011, 11:55:40 AM»
that's not the site... but it was stockphoto something.com and all the photos were free. and thank you for replying to this!