turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What's wrong with this port?!  (Read 861 times)

Offline Devildove

What's wrong with this port?!
«: March 13, 2011, 06:21:11 PM»
I recently completed this port as an entry into a contest --

I know the hair shading is crappy. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay is this subtle issue with the eye area/maybe upper muzzle? I can't quite figure out what's wrong with it, but it's really irking me.  Is it the shape of the eye?

Please help <3 CONSTRUCTIVE critique is welcome! The link to the contest (includes her refs) is here: http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?topic=13654.0

Offline Creek

Re: What's wrong with this port?!
«Reply #1: March 13, 2011, 07:08:19 PM»
I've watched my friends draw, and a common mistake is that they draw the hair first before they do the head. It looks like you may have done that, instead of starting out with the shape of the head, and then place the hair on afterwards.

Redline ;

Also, the angle of the eye is off by a few degrees, with the muzzle facing downwards, the angle of the eye should slant the same way. And the ears are far way to up, ears should barely have that much room between them and the eyes.  Moving them down would help tremendously. Dont be afraid to look at photo references! They are your friend!

(wolf image was found off google. Took it and traced the lines of the eyes and top of muzzle to show the angle directions and ear placement)

I'm horrible with text explaining, so I hope the images speak more then I can D:

Offline Devildove

Re: What's wrong with this port?!
«Reply #2: March 13, 2011, 08:18:43 PM»
My god that was infinitely helpful xD Thank you so much. You're right, I did do the hair before the head.  I've been working on it a bit since I posted this originally and this is the result I have now --

I tilted and moved the eye, turned all the pillow shading into dither shading, smoothed out the snout line and moved the ears.  It looks so much better to me. Your input helped a lot!

EDIT:  Changed the bustline!

EDIT #2:  Modified the eye again

EDIT #3:  Fixed the hair! OMG am I done?!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:14:30 AM by Devildove »

anything