turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cruelty or Art  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Astronaut

Cruelty or Art
«: April 29, 2008, 09:50:17 PM»
Well to sum it up in a few short simple words,
A Man in South America found a starving and ill dog, he took it and instead of helping the poor thing, he made words out of dog food, that say "Eres lo que lees" which to my belief means, you are what you read, and put them over the dogs head. So lets get this straight, there was a man, there was a rope, there was a starving dog, and there was no food, and he wins first place in the art show.

I find this disgusting and inhumane, and it really bothers me.

Links:

the Article on dA: http://news.deviantart.com/article/47429/
That article also contains a link of a blog, with photos: http://elperritovive.blogspot.com/  (the faint hearted shouldn't click that link, for it contains images of a starving dog.)

Please post any thoughts or regards you have to this situation.

Edit: My Cheers to Narnia for correcting my translation, from:You are what you eat, to You are what you read, which brings a clearer understanding, thanks! n.n
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:39:38 PM by Estelle »
Formerly 'Estelle'

Offline Mala

Re: Cruelty or Art
«Reply #1: April 29, 2008, 09:52:11 PM»
mina disapproves.

we discuss this over msn right now

):<

Araeli

«Reply #2: April 29, 2008, 10:10:34 PM»
I checked out the links and stuff, and watched a youtube video about it. I cried. D':

No talk on msn, dude. Let's all go beat that bastard up, leave him on the streets, pick him up in 3 or 4 days, put him on display with food right above his head, and wait till he dies. >:x

I DUN GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HIS QUOTE. The real quote is, "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Offline Narnia

«Reply #3: April 29, 2008, 11:32:12 PM»
In The United States he would have been arrested for violating animal cruelty laws.

Eros lo que lees would translate to "you are what you read."

If he was saying you are what you eat it would be Eros lo que comes.

I don't want to take the time to translate the blog, but I quick glance a rough run through a translator indicated that during the exhibition many people requested that the dog be freed and the artist refused and actually allowed the dog to die as part of the exhibition.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:38:16 PM by Narnia »
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Astronaut

«Reply #4: April 29, 2008, 11:36:43 PM»
In The United States he would have been arrested for violating animal cruelty laws.

Eros lo que lees would translate to you are what you read.

If he was saying you are what you eat it would be Eros lo que comes.

Thanks xD guess I didn't read throughly enough through that.. +Edits
Formerly 'Estelle'

Offline Mredria

«Reply #5: April 30, 2008, 12:22:01 AM»
People are starving. Kill the dog and feed them. That's a double mercy.
---I apologize---

Offline Tate

«Reply #6: April 30, 2008, 12:37:49 AM»
The dog's body likely already ate the meat away, at that point in time. It'd be worthless to feed him to others, as there'd be no nutritional value to him.

This is disgusting, though. This man should be shot--he has no right to call himself an artist.

an artist wouldn't starve another and hurt them--if he truly wanted to prove a point, he'd starve himself.

Offline La-la

«Reply #7: April 30, 2008, 01:11:49 AM»
actually allowed the dog to die as part of the exhibition.

And gets first prize.

Aren't the judges a bit screwed up too?

Reminds me of an exhibition going on in Israel. A bunch of artists gave each other lice, and are exhibiting themselves as art, saying the theme is "community." .. Can't we do that without lice?

Offline Eevee

«Reply #8: April 30, 2008, 01:14:08 AM»
That's just as bad as another thing I read about. Someone in some other country drowned a sick kitten and filmed it and won first place in some film festival or something like that with the excuse that there was nothing left to do for the kitten.

Its cruelty when you kill a living being for personal gain when your life is not at threat.

Offline Tate

«Reply #9: April 30, 2008, 01:29:09 AM»
That's just as bad as another thing I read about. Someone in some other country drowned a sick kitten and filmed it and won first place in some film festival or something like that with the excuse that there was nothing left to do for the kitten.

Its cruelty when you kill a living being for personal gain when your life is not at threat.

I'll have to go against you, here, a little. It isn't cruel to kill the animal if your life isn't in danger--It IS cruel to kill it in a violent fashion.

There's a reason why  humane euthenization (sp?)  exists. First you put the animal under sleep, and then administer the drug. It kills the animal in their sleep, so they feel no pain. Generally the sleep is even a pain medication, so that if pain might exist, it is nulled out.

But what was done in your example is purely cruel. The kitten's last moments were traumatic and undoubtedly painful.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #10: April 30, 2008, 01:34:54 AM»

I'll have to go against you, here, a little. It isn't cruel to kill the animal if your life isn't in danger--It IS cruel to kill it in a violent fashion.

There's a reason why  humane euthenization (sp?)  exists. First you put the animal under sleep, and then administer the drug. It kills the animal in their sleep, so they feel no pain. Generally the sleep is even a pain medication, so that if pain might exist, it is nulled out.

But what was done in your example is purely cruel. The kitten's last moments were traumatic and undoubtedly painful.

I also said for personal gain, such as the two people who turned a sick animal's pain into art for a contest and winning first place for it.

Offline La-la

«Reply #11: April 30, 2008, 01:35:13 AM»
.. Well duh Tachs, I'm pretty sure when you have to euthanize an animal, it's pretty much understood by people it's best for the animal for whatever reason. And she did say personal gain, I myself can't think of too many reasons to put an animal to sleep for personal gain. I'm pretty sure that's not what she meant at all and that has nothing to even do with this <__<

It's just messed up all around, how animals are so mistreated every day.

But I think the main subject of this was, is this art or not. I myself don't see anything artistic about it. Why not have painted it instead? And I STILL don't understand how he got first place.

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #12: April 30, 2008, 08:29:28 AM»
It's just like:-
-The video of the kitten drowned
-The cow cut up into pieces
-Damien Hurst's dead sheep in a tank

Considered as 'art' to some people, I, being a heavy duty animal rights freak am appauled by it. >< I don't even see how it can fit into the category of art. Someone said to me 'It gives a message out that maybe we can't see' trying to justify it, somebody tell me that subliminal message, because they only one I noticed was that the work was kinda acceptable.
SUP DAWG. WE HEARD YOU LIKE CARS SO WE PUT A CAR IN YO CAR SO YOU CAN DRIVE WHILE YOU DRIVE.

http://www.hazel-rah.webs.com

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #13: April 30, 2008, 08:33:09 AM»
..how do people consider that art <_<
It's people like that who should be shot or hung up to starve just like their "art".
Reminds me of when this one artist got herself pregnant and then aborted the baby at like, 9 months and used the blood to paint a piece of "art". That seriously made me sick, and this isn't much better.
I'd like to think that art is above killing a living thing for some art museum to show.

Offline nuy

«Reply #14: May 01, 2008, 12:14:38 AM»
ohh my digital imaging class talked about this just recently as our theme for our last project was decay O_O

this is one of the many articles/blogs out there that we read in class: [link]
and i think there are a lot of valid points. read it before you jump to conclusions and go all omghowcruelpoordog

it's interesting how people react to things they read on the internet

although i think the artist had a point, i don't think he shouldve done it the way he did. i suppose he wanted to take a risk and provide that much of a shock factor to his audience. i think what gets me is that the dog was not in its natural surroundings and to be shown off in that way was too much.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:45:58 AM by Nuy »

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #15: May 01, 2008, 12:35:08 AM»
It was trying to portray a loss of life, and it's incredibly cruel to taunt a hungry being, it all comes down to exploiting animals as 'art' in the end. It's not even a creative photograph.  :-X
SUP DAWG. WE HEARD YOU LIKE CARS SO WE PUT A CAR IN YO CAR SO YOU CAN DRIVE WHILE YOU DRIVE.

Offline Sync

«Reply #16: May 01, 2008, 11:16:39 AM»
i do agree that there he did definitely did a good job of portraying what he wanted to, but the way he went about it was just... disgusting. i honestly hope they aren't going to let this guy do it again.

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #17: May 01, 2008, 04:47:22 PM»
i do agree that there he did definitely did a good job of portraying what he wanted to, but the way he went about it was just... disgusting. i honestly hope they aren't going to let this guy do it again.

Hear hear.  >:( Shouldn't of been allowed to do it in the first place anyway.

Offline Jared

«Reply #18: May 11, 2008, 05:57:15 PM»
This is absolutely evil. Art is about expression, not loss of life. You don't have to kill something in the name of expression just to get your point across. The phrase itself suffices, since it's made of dog food.

Took the words right outta my mouth. This is ridiculous. Even past that point, how did he even win with such inhumane art? God Damn.

anything