turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique/criticism  (Read 1139 times)

Offline sarragh

Critique/criticism
«: May 04, 2008, 10:00:17 AM»
I know I've asked for this before, but I feel I don't receive enough of it. I genuinely thrive on critique, I  feel I improve effectively when I get it. Unfortunately, people seem to be too shy to say more than "oh cool."

So, I've picked out some of what I think are my best pieces, and I'd truly appreciate some honest - and hardcore criticism.

Offline La-la

Re: Critique/criticism
«Reply #1: May 04, 2008, 10:49:17 AM»

(she forgot that one)

Offline La-la

«Reply #2: May 06, 2008, 05:02:55 PM»
Bump for my love.

Offline Artspace

«Reply #3: May 08, 2008, 02:51:32 AM»
I like the last two you posted (the two wolves).  They show a lot of character and life.

In fact, your subjects and composition are good, but I think two things might be a little distracting:

1. Too much detail on backgrounds, such as the black and white background on the second one.  That's a lot of skill put into that sort of detailing, but it's hard on my eyes, and

2. When you give an outline that's a different/bright color to the subject, it makes it hard for me to focus on the person you've drawn.  What about just a thick black outline around the subject?

Offline sarragh

«Reply #4: May 08, 2008, 06:24:52 AM»
I like the last two you posted (the two wolves).  They show a lot of character and life.

In fact, your subjects and composition are good, but I think two things might be a little distracting:

1. Too much detail on backgrounds, such as the black and white background on the second one.  That's a lot of skill put into that sort of detailing, but it's hard on my eyes, and

2. When you give an outline that's a different/bright color to the subject, it makes it hard for me to focus on the person you've drawn.  What about just a thick black outline around the subject?

Thank you a lot, those are great suggestions, and I'll definitely try them.

Offline La-la

«Reply #5: May 08, 2008, 07:44:34 AM»

I usually do the backgrounds for her, I didn't do the one you mentioned, but was wondering how backgrounds have too much detail. Doesn't that just add to it?

Offline Mauser

«Reply #6: May 08, 2008, 08:24:14 AM»

I usually do the backgrounds for her, I didn't do the one you mentioned, but was wondering how backgrounds have too much detail. Doesn't that just add to it?

i, personally, feel like sometimes a background-- although nice-- can detract from a character in a portrait. it varies from portrait to portrait (depending on who or what is supposed to be the focus), so i think it's good to go with what looks best.

so in the end, perhaps what you see as 'adding' to a portrait is really taking away from the main focus, i.e. the character? you can't please everyone though, of course, so if i were doing backgrounds i'd just do whatever suits the mood.

i rather like the background in the third one, myself, even if it is a bit stark. backgrounds convey feelings if done well, and it reminds me of a gloomy and bleak setting.

as for your portraits in general, cletus, i love the shading style and think that it pays an incredible attention to detail while still retaining a neat and easy-to-look-at quality about it. i would suggest not using a badge color around the character as artspace suggested; i want to pay attention to your lovely shading, anyway! ;)

Offline sarragh

«Reply #7: May 08, 2008, 11:16:43 AM»
Thank you so much mauser. You made me smile!

Offline Artspace

«Reply #8: May 08, 2008, 11:53:56 AM»
The backgrounds are good, it's just that you might want to make them simpler, since they're going to be shrunk down and used as a portrait.  The first, second, and fourth ones, I like.  They have enough detail to keep interest, but not too much to make the viewer focus on that instead of the subject.

Offline La-la

«Reply #9: May 08, 2008, 12:13:20 PM»
Personally I despise the fourth but love the fifth xD

Offline Artspace

«Reply #10: May 08, 2008, 12:34:30 PM»
The fifth is good when you're looking at its larger size.  Shrunk down, though, the stars are distracting.  Maybe making them a color that isn't so bright would be better, because the background does have a nice design.

anything