turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vinca Works Contest  (Read 10926 times)

Offline Aries

Vinca Works Contest
«: May 04, 2008, 12:33:02 PM»
As some may know, my hope for VW has crashed, so I'll most likely turn it into a guild where people 'join' up/watch, and I'll have a mass list and favorite all pixel-related Furcadia art and it would then function as a 'finding artists' gallery and browsing examples of work. Now, because of this, I approached the dilemma of the scales that were raised for a more active guild. Being that I could not use them on myself (extra scales are nice!) I've come up with a solution that should suit most of the artists in and outside of Vinca Works, as a majority of the members and watchers may be portrait artists or aspiring portrait artists.

So, without further ado, I present the blow-out funds concept of a contest:
Collaborated Portrait Patch!

Who is the contest open to?   The contest is open to any Furcadia user that is an aspiring or seasoned portrait artist. Beginners are encouraged to try their best! I hope we also get plenty of established artists to beautify the patch!

What will be done with the completed patch? The patch will be free-use for anyone to use as a patch as a whole, selectively, or use individuals as freebie ports. It's the opportunity to show off your work in one big show! As a condition, it is asked that users of the patch do not remove the signatures, although they are free to edit the portrait/portrait patch. A read-me file will be attached along with the portrait the artist did, and their contact info as listed in the entry form!

What are the prizes? I didn't want to label this a contest, but everyone likes prizes! We don't have much to offer, but, I hope the prizes will act more like an incentive to join in on the patch, which alone should be enough for some to want to enter; to be a part of something potentially big.

Grand: Year Ferian or Year wings of any type (10-20$ value). There may be enough for 2 years (30$ value), it will be seen once the prizes are divvied up, but you can count on at least a year Ferian or year wings.  - Grand is awarded as a 'best in show', or the best portrait overall.

Class: Class means something like 'best in species'. Say if you did a portrait of the female feline, you have a one in three chance to win against the male and unspecified. The prize for best in class is a portrait space!

User Vote: This is intended to be a popularity contest, but not in the form of 'my friend entered, I'll vote for them!'. It is meant to be more of 'I like this port best, I'd use it, I'll vote for that one!' The prize will most likely be a portrait space or description tag (5$ value). Even if it ends up being a huge vote fight, it's only a space or desc tag! No need to be bent out of shape! Once the contest is over, there will most likely be a poll for such a thing, or a reply-vote. 'I vote for the (gender/species)'  I will most likely also ask for the reason you are voting for it. While 'cause I drew it' is fine, I would hope that there would be a more in-depth reason! - A small template form will be put up at that time!

How long is the contest running? The contest will run until all slots are full and all entries are received. There will be tentative end dates each month, and those that entered will be hounded for their entries from time to time! It would not be fair or a very successful patch if only a few people actually completed their entries. At the same, should all the slots be filled, you then have an obligation, if you have entered and haven't finished your entry, to the other artists entering! Prizes will only be awarded once it is complete.

How many times can I enter? Right now, we wish to be fair and give everyone a chance to enter, so you can only enter one time right now. Once some time passes and sign-ups slow, the ability to enter a second time may arise. We want to show off artist's work, so it would be good to have many different artists enter!

What if me and a friend want to collaborate on one port? Can I then enter my own port? Yes and no. I have no issues with people collaborating, but for now I'd prefer that there is one entry per person, therefore, if you collaborate, one of you must be the 'main' entrant, or the main person contact, and it would count as your entry. Your friend could then enter their own, or, you could do a second collaborated port, and it would then count as their entry. For the moment I just want to keep entries down to one per person, which includes that if the portrait is shared, it counts as an entry towards one in the group. Once people have a fair enough time to snag their own spot, if you have collabed and your friend has done their own, and you now want to do your own, I may open it up, but I want to give each person a shot, so it comes down to one entry per person right now, where a collaborated port becomes the entry of one of the people involved in the collab. Should you win a prize, it's up to you to divvy it up and figure it out.

What are the portrait requirements? The portraits, as per typical fashion, must be 95x95 pixels, fully re-mappable (the only exceptions would be, of course, any needed fixed lines, such as black eye areas, nose, and small details like gold and silver).
The tie-in theme would be the clothing, if any is seen. Clothing will be something along the line of modern if viewable; a nice summer dress, a button-up shirt, the latest (made up) fashion so long as it's not terribly outrageous. The goal is to fit the species, but not limit the portrait in it's use. NO WRITING ON THE CLOTHING PLEASE. Patterns and such are fine. Fancy costume jewelry about the neck of females and the like is encouraged to add detail! Hair styles are fine too, but please avoid from putting anything too distracting in hair (no hats, please.)
It is expected that the portraits be at least a bust shot (chest or shoulders up) with a good use of the 95x95 space.
Background is not needed, as it is assumed that if it is used, that others  will tie it into their dream or character. You can leave it a flat color, or, I may put up a few default backgrounds. Just think the default Furcadia backgrounds; you don't need to spend a huge amount of time on them. The focus is the species in the portrait!
There will also be a form for progression shots, to hopefully avoid people entering portraits they had sitting about, or cheating by taking someone else's work to enter. It is expected that a sketch/linework shot be taken, as well as 2-3 progression shots, as well as the finished port and slightly bigger screen of the portrait (in a color string of your choice) be submitted along with the original fsh file. This also provides for a helpful look at how others work on their ports and shading!

You have free-reign over markings and the like, be as creative as you wish! Take felines for example; you could make your entry look like a domestic feline such as a tabby or siamese, a tiger, lion, or spotted cat or any other sort, or just make up your own markings!

How will the portraits be judged? Portraits will be judged for a winner overall, and a winner in each species. The winner will be based on best representation of species, detail, and ability to follow requirements. Of course, for the user-rated one, these criteria may not hold true, but that is what I suspect most will be looking for; the appeal of the portrait. There are no judges yet. I may end up judging them myself, or having a few friends. There should be posted reasons toward why said portraits won, as well. 'We enjoyed the (aspects)'.

What species can I enter for? See below for available species.

Please note that by signing up for the contest, you are committed to enter. If you do not believe you can complete the entry, please do not enter! You also give permission for the portrait to be free-use and edited as a patch or individual, used for dreams or personal use by Furcadia users to upload. Please speak that you agree on your entry form by the words 'Yes, I have read and agree to the terms.'

If you have any other questions, I'll post up answers here; feel free to ask away!

Remember, for now you can only enter once. Slots are first-come first-serve, which I will try to organize by date that the entry form is posted. Please pick a species/gender based not on their in-game popularity, but what you like best or think you will be best at or interests/challenges you!

There are 57 available entry slots!
I do not plan on making the seasonal avatars entry-able, or the 'alternate' forms (such as the gryffe's bird form of the kitter's small form, unless there are more than 57 individuals that want to enter! (In which case I'd need to raise more $ for prizes!)

P.S. these are all assumed to be anthro, save for the ferians which are obviously feral!

:D = received entry.

Available Slots:

Rodent
male - Author
female - Tachs
unspecified -

Equine
male -
female - Kellianne   :D
unspecified - Itharia

Feline
male - Aeva   :D
female - Mina-chan   :D
unspecified - Zipo   :D

Canine
male - Aqua Dark
female - Hathor Serantis
unspecified - Symbol

Musteline
male - Arley    :D
female - Hufflepuff    :D
unspecified -

Lapine
male - Yonega Waya    :D
female - FaolinBainin    :D
unspecified - Roxas

Squirrel
male -
female - Keiroko
unspecified -

Bovine
male -
female -
unspecified -

Ursine
male -
female - Penelope (+Morning Tiger) collaborative
unspecified -

Dragon
male - Sync    :D
female - Morning Tiger   :D
unspecified - Eleazer

Phoenix
male - Ieyasei 
female - Fayleen
unspecified -

Gryffe
male -
female - Kyla
unspecified -

Unicorn
male - Paint   :D
female - Jorvik   :D
unspecified - Ukai

Kitterwing (large form)
male -
female - Mayu
unspecified -

Wolven
male - Disturbed Spirit
female - Runetta Reborn   :D
unspecified - Provoke

Tygard
male - Remus
female - Rainbow Haven   :D
unspecified -

Leonen
male - Gorgoroth   :D
female -
unspecified -

Foxen
male - Archery
female - Nevaeh
unspecified -

Furling
male -
female - Tiani
unspecified -

Entry Form:

Name: (Furcadia known art alt or main alt)
Gallery Link: FAM/DA...
Contact: (note on da, e-mail, etc... best way to contact you)
Species + Gender desired: (if you want to try to trade slots with someone, please work it out with them first!)
1st choice:
2nd choice: (in case 1st choice isn't available)
3rd choice: (in case 1st + 2nd choice isn't available)

Do you agree to the terms?

This link will be posted in Vinca Works' DA Journal, my DA journal, and adverted though alt descriptions. Should you wish to promote the contest for me in your own journal or description, feel free!

Rules are subject to change if any issues occur!

Thank you and good luck!

Completed Entries will be sent in their remap fsh/fox form to [email protected]

don't forget to fill in your progression shots! You are encouraged to also have your sig on the port!

Again, if you have any questions or need to contact me, post here or note me on DA under the name DarkToki

CURRENT ENTRIES/TAKEN information may be outdated

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:34:26 PM by Alabaster Sea »
From my mind pours fourth a multitude of ideas, a well of inspiration.

Offline Mala

Re: Vinca Works Contest
«Reply #1: May 04, 2008, 12:57:49 PM»
Name: Mina-chan
Gallery Link: http://lune-ports.deviantart.com
Species + Gender desired:
1st choice: Female Feline
2nd choice: Female Tygard
3rd choice: Female Dragon
Do you agree to the terms? Of course!

And I'm a little confused on the choices; do we do all, or just one?

Offline Hathor

«Reply #2: May 04, 2008, 01:13:47 PM»
Name: Hathor Serantis
Gallery Link: http://hathor-the-queen.deviantart.com/gallery/#Furcadia-Ports
1st choice: Canine - Female.
2nd choice: Feline - Male.
3rd choice: Dragon - Male.
Yes, I have read and agree to the terms.

Offline Aries

«Reply #3: May 04, 2008, 01:34:23 PM»
female feline, female canine - taken.

Offline Maugrim

«Reply #4: May 04, 2008, 02:18:27 PM»
Name: Eleazer
Gallery Link: http://xspiritwolfx.deviantart.com/
1st choice: Dragon -unspecified
2nd choice: Wolven - Female
3rd choice: Foxen - male
Do you agree to the terms? Yush!

Offline Aries

«Reply #5: May 04, 2008, 02:37:10 PM»
Mina-chan; you do one, i just have 'choices' in case someone posts that they want it at the same time and I have a conflict. 'if first isn't available, then second, if second isn't available, then third'. But you got your first choice! no worries :) just the one for now.

Offline Mala

«Reply #6: May 04, 2008, 02:38:23 PM»
Hah, allright. Thanks a bunch for clearing that up! <3

Offline Aries

«Reply #7: May 04, 2008, 02:39:44 PM»
posting for, as discussed on Furc;

Name: Jorvik
Gallery Link: http://teafiend.deviantart.com
1st choice: female unicorn
2nd choice: x
3rd choice: x
Do you agree to the terms? Yes I agree to the terms

Offline Aries

«Reply #8: May 04, 2008, 02:41:40 PM»
sure thing, Mina-Chan!

dragon unspec, female unicorn - taken

Offline Mala

«Reply #9: May 04, 2008, 02:59:10 PM»
How long is the contest running? The contest will run until all slots are full and all entries are received. There will be tentative end dates each month, and those that entered will be hounded for their entries from time to time! It would not be fair or a very successful patch if only a few people actually completed their entries. At the same, should all the slots be filled, you then have an obligation, if you have entered and haven't finished your entry, to the other artists entering! Prizes will only be awarded once it is complete.

Offline CH3COCH3

«Reply #10: May 04, 2008, 03:11:09 PM»
To Mina: Thank you! I found that right after posting my message (explaining the deletion, lol). *Headdesks*

To Alabaster:
Name: Author
Gallery Link: http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=profile;u=574
Species + Gender Desired:
1st choice: Rodent / Male
2nd choice: Feline / Unspecified
3rd choice: Musteline / Male
Do you agree to the terms? Of course! :)

Offline Aries

«Reply #11: May 04, 2008, 03:16:50 PM»
- male rodent! :)

Offline Zipo

«Reply #12: May 04, 2008, 04:10:47 PM»
Name: Zipo
Gallery Link: [email protected]
1st choice: Unspecified Feline
2nd choice: -
3rd choice: -
Do you agree to the terms? YES

That's the only one I think I could really draw well :-\
:: wink ::

Offline Aries

«Reply #13: May 04, 2008, 04:15:01 PM»
- unspec feline

Offline FaolinBainin

«Reply #14: May 04, 2008, 06:19:43 PM»
Name: FaolinBainin
Gallery Link: n/a
Contact: Leave a message for me in-game. OR a PM here. I'll check.
1st choice: Lapine Female
2nd choice: (in case 1st choice isn't available)
3rd choice: (in case 1st + 2nd choice isn't available)
Do you agree to the terms? Yes, I have read and agree to the terms.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:33:15 PM by FaolinBainin »

Offline Tate

«Reply #15: May 04, 2008, 07:27:37 PM»
Name: Tachs
Gallery Link: -Points to the side.-
Contact: Best way is to contact me in game. PMing me here is the second best.
Species + Gender desired: (if you want to try to trade slots with someone, please work it out with them first!)
1st choice: Rodent female
2nd choice: Kitterwing female
3rd choice: Rodent neutral
Do you agree to the terms? Yes, I have read and agree to the terms

i have a question: will you put it, in the read-me, that they may not take the signature off? That's my main concern.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:29:16 PM by Tachs »

Offline Ith

«Reply #16: May 04, 2008, 09:25:47 PM»
Name: Ith(here) - Itharia(Furc)
Gallery Link: N/A
Species + Gender desired: Is it possible to do both your first choice & second
1st choice: Unspecified Equine
2nd choice: Male dragon
3rd choice: Female equine
Do you agree to the terms?: Indeed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:29:46 PM by Ith »

Offline Aries

«Reply #17: May 04, 2008, 10:28:35 PM»
Tachs; I forgot about sigs. I'll update the info. I'm expecting that people will sign off with their usual-sized sig.
The read-me will also ref who did what and the like, and while there is no avoiding people editing it, I'll note that it is appreciated (and a condition) that the sig remain on the ports!

I'll also be including a question about co-labbing ports.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:30:14 PM by Alabaster Sea »

Offline Kratos

«Reply #18: May 04, 2008, 10:41:35 PM»
Name: Penelope
Gallery Link: http://mortipenny.deviantart.com
Contact: note on dA, aim (x12in prince), whisper, PM on here
1st choice: Female Ursine
2nd choice: Female Squirrel
3rd choice: Male Lapine
Do you agree to the terms? Yessssss.

note: this is a collab entry with myself and MT (morning tiger), however the info listed is my contact stuff - im the main person to go to about it.
post may be edited when you edit the first post with collab info as well.

Offline Aries

«Reply #19: May 04, 2008, 10:52:23 PM»
update to signature info under what the ports are to be used for; update info regarding collaborative ports.
If it is still not clear, one entry each, which means two entries total. If one entry is collabed, that leaves one entry, which can be a second collab between the same people, or, one person becomes the 'entrant' of the collabed port' while the other can then do their individual entry. Right now, there can not be two individual entries and a collab port between two people. I may open this up in the future once time has passed for people to snag their own slots to enter!

- female ursine, male equine, female rodent, female lapine

Offline Sync

«Reply #20: May 05, 2008, 10:18:42 AM»
Name: Sync
Gallery Link: http://xikkari.deviantart.com/ and gallery here
Contact: http://xikkari.deviantart.com/, Sync on FAM, Kratos or Sync on furcadia, [email protected]
Species + Gender desired
1st choice: Male Dragon
2nd choice: Female Dragon
3rd choice: Unsp Unicorn
yes i agree to the terms.

Offline ely

«Reply #21: May 05, 2008, 01:09:28 PM»
Name: Roxas (Most known), Paopu (Secondary Main), Shoujo (Secondary Main), Kinja (FurN Main)
Gallery Link: paoports @ dA
Species + Gender desired
1st choice: Unspec Lapine
2nd choice: Male Lapine
3rd choice: Female Furling
Do you agree to the terms? Yes, I agree.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #22: May 05, 2008, 06:17:11 PM»
Name: Morning Tiger
Gallery Link: http://rebelcake.deviantart.com/gallery/
1st choice: Female Dragon
2nd choice: Female Kitterwing
3rd choice: Female Squirrel
Do you agree to the terms? Yes, I have read and agree to the terms.

Offline Aries

«Reply #23: May 05, 2008, 06:37:56 PM»
posting for; entry received on journal

Name: Runetta Reborn
Gallery Link: http://halfpain.deviantart.com/
1st choice: Female wolven
2nd choice: Female Kitterwing (Small)
3rd choice: Female Furling
Absolutely

Offline Aries

«Reply #24: May 05, 2008, 06:40:39 PM»
- female wolven, male dragon, unspec lapine, female dragon