turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Timed artwork  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Blizzy

Timed artwork
«: September 08, 2011, 11:21:13 AM»
This is just a random talk I would like to bring up and see what people think on the matter.

Do you feel an artist who does commission work, have the right to open more commissions when they haven't finished their current commission work?

If yes, please state why, and if no, please state why.

Offline Spellplague

Re: Timed artwork
«Reply #1: September 09, 2011, 11:02:48 AM»
Speaking as an artist, there are times when I am simply not inspired to work on a certain type of art. For example, I love doing nonremaps. So they will get priority. This does not mean that I am forgetting about larger commissions, simply that I find ports easier and faster to do. Sometimes if I feel this way, I'll close large commissions and just keep port ones open.

Although, for now, all are on hold til my arting PC's fixed *grumble*
Contact
(faz/fam/da/rpr) spellplague

Offline Blizzy

«Reply #2: September 12, 2011, 09:49:48 AM»
Well do you feel if someone states in there commission that they wish for it as soon as possible, that they should be waiting almost 2 months for a finished product and this is including if they were persistent with responding to your edits and what not.

[Also thank you for responding to my random topic.. I just like getting people's opinions since I hear so much talk about this as well as my own experiences so I thought why not make it a topic to talk about.]

Offline Spellplague

«Reply #3: September 12, 2011, 09:59:06 AM»
Well do you feel if someone states in there commission that they wish for it as soon as possible, that they should be waiting almost 2 months for a finished product and this is including if they were persistent with responding to your edits and what not.

[Also thank you for responding to my random topic.. I just like getting people's opinions since I hear so much talk about this as well as my own experiences so I thought why not make it a topic to talk about.]

I think that if there is an agreed deadline, and the artist agrees to said deadline, then that commission should be a priority. This is not bearing in mind IRL messing up of course.

[No prob xD]
Contact

Offline Blizzy

«Reply #4: September 12, 2011, 01:47:17 PM»
I agree. I'm sure as an artist you deal with things like this frequently or on occasion? Do you believe that sometimes even if a specific date isn't discussed (since all artists are different) the commissionee should still be treated with higher priority then the others if the Commissioner agrees on the terms that the commissionee needed a commission done as soon as possible?

[I know many artists who take asap as a date and not necessarily ask for a specific or placed a specific time it should be finished.]

I know how many artists feel that when someone does artwork they feel the commissionee needs to respect the artist, which is true, but shouldn't the commissionee have the same respect. I have known people who call others stalkers because they ask for updates on a weekly basis which isn't much to ask for. I even have known of artists and others, who give no notice and vanish from the face of the earth after a commission has been placed.

Do you feel that seems right to a commissionee? And this isn't directed to you as an artist but being one it's nice to have your opinion on what you believe and feel. Again thank you for continuing this conversation with me. I hope it's not something that is offending you or anything, I do wish others would place input in this but sadly no one else is so I thank you for your bravery in discussion.

Offline Spellplague

«Reply #5: September 12, 2011, 02:50:02 PM»
On the matter of how often a commissioner asks, my time for completing artwork [when I actually have a bloody functioning PC] ranges between under an hour for unremap portraits to perhaps 3 for full-coloured artwork -- I only take longer if they ask me late at night when I'm winding down to go to sleep, or I don't feel alarmingly motivated to take art at the moment. Asking me once a week usually works if the latter cases, as it gives me the kick up the rear end I need. Paying before hand or paying half up front does the same, as I HATE owing people things and will therefore complete the artwork quicker.

I go by the 'asap' policy. Like I will try to meet a deadline, but I will not make a sworn on the Gods promise that it will be done due to being unable to control certain schedles such as say, family matters.
Contact

Offline Blizzy

«Reply #6: September 12, 2011, 05:07:39 PM»
Have you ever dealt with a commissionee that you felt was troublesome or problematic to you? When it came to ports or artwork?

Offline Spellplague

«Reply #7: September 12, 2011, 05:23:47 PM»
Have you ever dealt with a commissionee that you felt was troublesome or problematic to you? When it came to ports or artwork?

Not that I can immediatly recall. Only one stands out and that was someone who after approving the sketch, wanted the lineart tweaked, then after that, wanted it like the sketch.. then changed their mind again. After about two hours of just editing minor things, and thankfully because they hadn't paid, I told them to find someone else.
Contact

Offline Blizzy

«Reply #8: September 12, 2011, 05:41:00 PM»
*nods* Wow that does sound annoying. Well at least you dealt with it professionally I'm sure. I have seen many artist who don't even do that when they are annoyed with a commissionee. Some ignore them, some delay their commission work, some just take the money... I swear what is wrong with some of these artists as well as people in general. I have seen alot of people on here under art scam/thief and so many people steal art or money and it's like... Is it really worth it? I've artist who are professional and some who aren't...

Offline Hugo

«Reply #9: November 23, 2011, 03:05:06 PM»
People have a right to do whatever they want (as slap-user isn't currently a feature in most computers), but biting off more than you can chew inevitably ruins your business face over time and drives customers away.

Look at it this way, if I hire a guy to move bricks from one place to another and he runs off to move bricks for someone else instead, his ass is fired. Art is a job like any other, especially once cash gets involved. The only way I could condone taking on new commissions when your current work isn't done is if the commissioner agrees to wait or has already stated they don't care when you finish.

Offline Pastor

«Reply #10: November 23, 2011, 06:12:26 PM»
I'll be honest here. As an artist, there are times I regularly take commissions after I already have a commission.

Here's why: communication. Say I take a commission for Joe. I draw Joe's sketch and then Joe disappears from the internet for four days. If I don't take other commissions in those four days, Joe has held me up from making any money in that time because he hasn't gotten back to me and approved the sketch so I can continue with his commission. I cannot proceed with Joe's commission until he okays the sketch, or fixes, or whatever edits on the art so far he wants.

Snowing yourself under isn't a good idea for an artist, and I'm sure it doesn't look great on your reputation. However, most of the time people who commission me have different schedules than I have, so we play a strange game of tag, even if we're emailing each other changes/fixes/etc. Even emails require you to be online to send replies to them, so sometimes it takes a while for a commission to be finished because of that.

So, in short, I guess if you do your art in stages (for example: 1. get your info, 2. sketch, 3. get sketch okayed and fix anything the person might want changed, 4. color it and show, 5. fixes on the end product) it makes some business sense to take more than one commission at a time.

anything