turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Advice?  (Read 748 times)

Offline </3

Advice?
«: December 28, 2011, 01:30:55 PM»

It isn't finished and it is clearly pathetic, but I'd really like some adivce with what to do with it, so please, go ahead.

Offline tourtu

Re: Advice?
«Reply #1: December 31, 2011, 08:02:03 PM»
one thing that i really want to address here is the shading. the hair looks messy and the skin looks strangely textured. are you trying to portray fur?

it's apparent that you're attempting to shade, but you shouldn't put highlights all over the place. shading should demonstrate form and depth. the shading that you did on the face and neck are ineffective and look like flat colors. you used none of the darker values that the remap palette offers when shading the face-- you did use all available remap colors in the hair though. with such a limited palette your goal should be to utilize all the values present in a way that defines form. establish a light source and shade accordingly.

don't be afraid to use dark colors. as a quick example i added some very basic shadows on the face and hair. although this is crude, the harsh shadows do indicate form:

Offline </3

«Reply #2: January 02, 2012, 08:09:37 AM»
Yep, I tried to portray fur on it, failed badly, I had been looking through tutorials all night and finally tried a go myself, and with the skin, I had no idea where things had to go, so I kind of attempted it then stopped. :x

You could use darks? I thought it was only lights to use! The thing with me is, in any drawing I do I have a bad light-dark feeling, so I don't know where light and dark shades go, so altimightly I need to soften my shades and add darker tones? I've always found pixel hard, I prefer non-revamp digital but I'd like to be able to expand my variations.

Oh yes, I understand that makes it so much softer and more liable for furc and hair, thank you so much for telling me this, I'll try again on the fur and hair.

Offline tourtu

«Reply #3: January 03, 2012, 08:26:56 PM»
no problem! good luck! :)