turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Stop SOPA / PIPA  (Read 920 times)

Offline Narnia

Stop SOPA / PIPA
«: January 11, 2012, 03:27:13 PM»
At FAM/FAZ we're not usually inclined to comment on politics as they are a typical touch off for flame wars and trolling. But there is legislation currently under consideration by the United States Congress that gives us serious concern.

Called the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) in the House of Representatives and the "PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) in the Senate, these bills are a misguided attempt to curb the illegal piracy of copyrighted content (like movies, music and games). Preventing piracy of copyrighted content is a laudable goal, and we support legitimate efforts to combat these activities and protect content creators (like us).

However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy. This proposed legislation actually threatens any website that features user-generated content. In effect, any copyright holder could file a claim that a website is hosting unauthorized content (such as a copyright name or piece of art). Under the law, ad networks, payment providers and internet service providers are now potentially liable for their user’s infringement. These services could then be compelled to immediately remove support for the website or face a costly legal battle – at a minimum cutting off financial means, and likely shutting off the site entirely.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact FAM/FAZ users?
  • Threatens independent content creation. Services we all use to create and share FAM/FAZ related content, such as YouTube, DeviantArt, streaming websites, and more would be at risk of shutting down or greatly restricting the scope of legitimate content allowed on their sites.
  • Attacks our community. Aspects of our service such as the forums, user galleries, and patch archive could be taken down or have their features reduced based on user behavior.
  • Other harmful effects. SOPA/PIPA undermine established intellectual property legislation like the DMCA, raise serious constitutional free speech issues, and could even compromise the basic security infrastructure of the internet.

Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

We are opposed to SOPA/PIPA in their present form. While we support efforts to prevent online piracy, the current form of this legislation comes at far too high a cost for us, our users, and online communities across the internet.

Help us take a stand. Write your congressperson today and voice your opposition to this misguided and harmful legislation: https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173[/list]
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Narnia

Re: Stop SOPA / PIPA
«Reply #1: January 16, 2012, 08:47:55 PM»
Please be advised that FAM and FAZ will be participating in the Internet Blackout in opposition to SOPA/PIPA on January 18, 2012 from 8:00AM EST to 8:00PM EST. During this time you will be redirected from this site to a site with information concerning SOPA/PIPA.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Glory

Re: Stop SOPA / PIPA
«Reply #2: February 20, 2012, 12:11:49 AM»
Hey, I am majorly late, but I wanted to say thanks for participating in the black out. I was on break from most art websites at the time, this one included, but academics had me checking Wikipedia of the day and I contacted my state representatives. You're an awesome guy, Narnia.

anything