turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price check/Critique please  (Read 878 times)

Offline Dainilli / PGF

Price check/Critique please
«: January 23, 2012, 05:08:54 PM»
HEY GUIZ!!

I never really know what to say when asking for anything like a critique so I guess that'll do, man.
Anyhow- I've been told multiple times lately that I under-price my work, whether it's portraits or otherwise. I'm terrible with pricing though so any help would be wonderful. I'm also cautious that if I did raise my prices that nobody would want to commission me anymore.. Which would kinda, you know? Suck.
Any who, my first examples would have to be my portraits,
I figure I'll post the latest- all of these were done on commission.

I'd also like to know what I should charge for something like these,

Everything is in order from Newest to Oldest, so I hope that helps at least a little.

Also guys, remember I'm looking for critiques, too. ;;

I'm currently charging $10/GD for my portraits and $5 for my larger, full bodied tag-type things.

Offline Sync

Re: Price check/Critique please
«Reply #1: January 24, 2012, 10:47:23 PM»
i'm not very good at pricing, so i will go to critique!

while i love how you do your figures, i will say your backgrounds are busy busy busy, and make it hard to find the focus in the portrait. i think it is especially noticeable on the moose portrait and the conjoined portrait to the right of it.

i like how you pay attention to details, but i don't really feel like you have a good balance between the character and the background. this portrait in your gallery here: http://www.furcartzone.com/gallery/22/4838-200811201810.png i feel is much stronger than most of the examples you have up now because i can view the character and appreciate the background without getting distracted by it. something like the moose, i get very clustered by because the hues on the grass are very close to the moose and the trees are very close to the hue and value of the shadows on the antlers. the character and background get merged in a deconstructive way for the portrait.

however, i do think you have a pretty good sense of anatomy and detail and i really like your color choices. just be careful!

Offline Deathdog

«Reply #2: January 25, 2012, 09:33:37 PM»
Your art is great. I reckon you could get in the 25 range. Though if you extended to furres and humans I reckon you could get comissions at 40 bucks a piece. As for the transparent digi art... Hmmm I'd say the same price all up.

Offline Dainilli / PGF

«Reply #3: January 27, 2012, 01:33:02 PM»
i'm not very good at pricing, so i will go to critique!

while i love how you do your figures, i will say your backgrounds are busy busy busy, and make it hard to find the focus in the portrait. i think it is especially noticeable on the moose portrait and the conjoined portrait to the right of it.

i like how you pay attention to details, but i don't really feel like you have a good balance between the character and the background. this portrait in your gallery here: http://www.furcartzone.com/gallery/22/4838-200811201810.png i feel is much stronger than most of the examples you have up now because i can view the character and appreciate the background without getting distracted by it. something like the moose, i get very clustered by because the hues on the grass are very close to the moose and the trees are very close to the hue and value of the shadows on the antlers. the character and background get merged in a deconstructive way for the portrait.

however, i do think you have a pretty good sense of anatomy and detail and i really like your color choices. just be careful!

Thank you very much for that!
I've been having issues with my backgrounds for a while as I couldn't really figure out what was irritating me so much, but after reading that it's beginning to make sense to me. I tend to not know what to add in my backgrounds because I feel like if I don't add enough they'll look rather bleak. I guess I should just try to find an in-between for 'too empty' and 'too cluttered'. I also see what you mean about my hues being too close together- this is probably carelessness more than anything. It'll probably be fun to work on my colour palettes some more. C:
Again, thank you! <3

Your art is great. I reckon you could get in the 25 range. Though if you extended to furres and humans I reckon you could get comissions at 40 bucks a piece. As for the transparent digi art... Hmmm I'd say the same price all up.

Thank you for the compliment!
I'm not so sure about furres, but humans would probably be something I might end up opening for eventually.. I just have to improve my anatomy a whole lot. Flat faced furres I may do after that.. I guess It'll just depend on how confident I get with the overall anatomy. Ha ha.
Thanks' for the suggested price. C:

Offline Ridia

«Reply #4: February 01, 2012, 10:34:52 PM»
Pricing:
Take whatever minimum wage is in your area.
Figure out the average amount of time in hours  it takes you to complete a portrait from start to finish.
Figure out how much you would make if you flipped burgers or pumped gas for that long (how much would you earn if you made minimum wage for the hours you made that port?)
Realize that art is a skill that not everyone has, and your time, effort and skill combine together into the value of your work.

Base your price off of that, imo.
More info here: http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?topic=16135.0

anything