turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique (short-haired cat port)  (Read 834 times)

Offline Jade Ravenwing

Critique (short-haired cat port)
«: April 03, 2012, 02:04:41 PM»

So my portrait art is, apparently, very sporadic lol. But I'm very proud of this, much nicer than my last cat port I think, and I wanted to get critique on it.

Offline Bree

Re: Critique (short-haired cat port)
«Reply #1: April 03, 2012, 11:43:04 PM»
Very good.  The remap colours make sense, and you did a great job with the shading.  The anatomy is solid, though something about the chin/lower jaw bothers me a little.  Not sure.  Maybe it juts out a little bit too much?  Or maybe I don't stare at cat chins enough?

Either way, excellent work, over all!

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #2: April 04, 2012, 08:47:40 PM»
Oops. Accidentally deleted the file lol.

Ah-well. Here's an example of it with more markings.

And yea, the lower jaw is a bit big/juts out some, but that's just personal preference to help differentiate it from the female ports I'm going to do.

Offline Surplus

«Reply #3: April 04, 2012, 09:16:40 PM»
i'd make the ears a little larger by bringing them forward, examples:

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #4: April 04, 2012, 11:03:51 PM»
The lower jaw is a bit too large and square. The way it drops down by a pixel gives it that look, I think. I would try rounding out both the lower jaw AND the upper jaw/cheek. Currently the cheek/upper jaw looks too square. If you look at the pics Surplus posted, you see that it slopes from the nose down into the mouthline much more smoothly.

I would also make the tear duct darker, possibly the darkest nonremapping grey? I would also remove the outline around it since that makes it pop out too much, and a tear duct generally isn't a feature you want to emphasize :B And it feels like the neck could use some more thickness or fluff... not a whole lot, since it doesn't seem like you're going for the floofy look, but right now it looks just a hair too thin.

Overall good work, though!

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #5: April 05, 2012, 05:45:30 PM»

Made the chin a bit smaller and added a little bit more fluff to the back of the neck. Also edited the tear duct. Not entirely sure if I'm going to touch the ears.