turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How do YOU line art?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Arabelle

How do YOU line art?
«: May 08, 2012, 06:57:09 PM»
Oh, lineart - the tricky little aspect of my explorations in digital art that I have had yet to master perfectly.

I want to know, what methods do you guys have on lineart? Vectoring? Drawing thin, rapid lines that connect together, etc?

How accurate/perfect is your lining?

Do you feel like a perfect, smooth line is completely essential to good art, or is it more about skill with form, painting, etc?

Do you prefer styles with sketch-like lines, or that nice, solid line used in a lot of illustrating?

I have difficulty making my lines flawless. I've been delving into vectoring for lineart since it's so smooth, but sometimes that's a pain. Generally, I try to make nice, long, accurate lines but have trouble connecting them fluidly. I'm getting really discouraged, as I'm trying to make quality lines.

Offline tacca

Re: How do YOU line art?
«Reply #1: May 09, 2012, 04:48:00 PM»
Try drawing on a very large scale. For example, drawing at 2000x2000 and shrinking the piece down to the intended size in the end will help smooth out lines. A lot of people draw on very large scales and shrink down later for various reasons.

Offline Axelle

«Reply #2: May 09, 2012, 05:31:16 PM»
I do line art a lot of different ways, from doing really thin lines to thick lines.
I've been painting a lot more than anything as of late so clean lines aren't really needed.

But I do like to take larger brushes(4px to 10px) and erasers to smooth the lines and do lines that way, takes forever but it's a neat looking affect I suppose. That way I can get crisp looking lines even when they're a pixel thick and it not look like a pencil line.

It just takes experimenting and such, just try what you want and make it work for you.
I never was able to do the large canvas then resize to smooth lines, I never had the patience to do that xD;
Not usually on furcadia a lot.

Offline Surplus

«Reply #3: May 09, 2012, 05:33:13 PM»
Personally I like being sketchy to give it a different feeling.
But if you're looking you make perfect lineart this is the best example i've seen thus far: http://fatpandalynn.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d35l5m3

Offline Arabelle

«Reply #4: May 09, 2012, 08:14:27 PM»
Thanks guys for the feedback! I did some practice on a larger scale and then reducing the size, and the result was pretty awesome. I've had my tablet for a year, and after on/off playing with it I'm finally getting everything straight.

Offline Spellplague

«Reply #5: May 10, 2012, 06:00:36 PM»
I usually just freehand it XD;
Contact
(faz/fam/da/rpr) spellplague

Offline Arabelle

«Reply #6: May 12, 2012, 12:11:34 PM»
Thanks everyone for their input!

I've taken to using a pixel-wide hard brush, and then building up the width. Then, when I resize, it flows together perfectly. Drawing big really helps!

anything