turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: When is 'too long'?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Gengar

When is 'too long'?
«: June 07, 2012, 01:13:13 PM»
I was browsing through threads of people wishing to commission for portraits, as I sometimes do, and I post several times on different threads with my info and prices. Someone (who will remain anonymous, for the moment) said they loved my ports and wanted to commission me.

Naturally I ask for information and refs, they give it to me, I complete the portrait about a week later. I showed it to them during the line art stage, and then the completed version, as well as letting her watch me work on it a bit. She had no problems with the portrait, and said she'd pay me on the due date, which was June 1st. I checked my Paypal on the 2nd and nothing. I simply sent her a message saying I hadn't received anything yet, and gave her my Paypal address, in case I had forgotten.

It is now June 7th, and though I'm trying hard to be optimistic, since this person seemed very nice, and has commissioned many other people (from what I can see), I cannot help but get paranoid, as I've sent her three messages over the course of a week, and no response. But I'm trying to be reasonable about this, since something may have happened... at the same time, I don't like giving people too much rope, as we have seen just how easily and effortlessly they will hang us with it.

So I ask you, FAZ: how long is 'too long' for someone to not pay for what they ordered? A day? A week? A month? A year?

I don't wanna jump down her throat, but I don't wanna be skimped either, since I worked -very- hard on this portrait, and its only $10.

Input?
Gengar -

Offline gaga

Re: When is 'too long'?
«Reply #1: June 07, 2012, 03:01:56 PM»
Since this isn't an alert of any sort, I'll be moving it to the correct section.
This feels more of a discussion at this point, since you have yet to share any further details.

Offline Gengar

«Reply #2: June 08, 2012, 09:28:47 AM»
Since this isn't an alert of any sort, I'll be moving it to the correct section.
This feels more of a discussion at this point, since you have yet to share any further details.

I was going to edit the post to include an actual alert if I still didn't get a response in the next few days, but I'll just post another thread in that (an actual alert) if not.

Apologies.
Gengar -

Offline tourtu

«Reply #3: June 09, 2012, 09:58:58 PM»
i've never really encountered any problems with customers not paying since i personally have a policy of taking payment before i get started. after a week of a customer not paying, i will usually drop it. i expect my customers to only commission me if they have the money ready. since i'm sympathetic, i will take into consideration customers' private issues if they talk to me. however, i would never give out a final product if i don't have payment in full.

as an artist who has given out the final product already (you did, right?) with the customers word that she would pay on time, you have all rights to be concerned. if there was a delay on her behalf the least she could do was send you a quick message.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #4: June 10, 2012, 01:33:34 AM»
I normally require the commissioner to have the money before they commission me, and they pay me when the portrait is complete (I need a little motivation and can't be paid before I finish). If they do not have the money when the portrait is complete, I edit it on the spot and it is resold to somebody who does.

In the past, I did have a few commissioners that made me wait on them when I was in dire need of money... but honestly, I do think that if they don't have payment upon having their commission completed, it shouldn't have been commissioned in the first place.

It would probably be best to say that their portrait is done before giving it to them if they haven't paid, or at least a JPEG version to get their attention. Or at least check if they've had any recent activity. Use every means possible to contact them before reselling... especially if you've both set a deadline.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:36:42 AM by alexandra »

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #5: June 10, 2012, 01:55:39 AM»
You know... We might be dealing with the same person here. I say this on the basis that you mention "being paid on June 1st".

I took was commisisoned a few ago by someone who had set a "pay day on June 1st for everyone whom I commission in the next few weeks," deadline. I was the first to get commissioned for this specific date. Now.. I felt they were reliable as apparantly they had done this before and gotten 4 ports from another artist ina  previous set up similar to this one. I finished my work fairly early, she loved every bit of it. She asked for ym pp email, I gave it. She sent me her email. now I KNEW I would not be getting paid until the 1st and I was well aware that I had finished well before schedule.
Feeling that she was a repsonsible person, I emailed her the port. Well June 1st came and went and my paypal received no money.
"Odd," I thought but then agian I know sometimes people get busy. Here's where I start to get... let's say.. annoyed. I went back to check her thread here on FAZ to se eif she had any updates that I had missed (after sending her a PM ina n attempt to contact her). She HAD updated it wiht the following:

(names other than my own will be blocked for privacy)

June 1st Deadline
1. Rex T-Rex: Done, Unpaid.
2. XXXXX: Paid.
3. XXXXX: Paid.
4. XXXXX: Paid.

...... If you're wondering if the people after me (it was actually only 1 person who was doing severla ports) had comppleted their work... they had not. In the preivous block (which was I think a May 15th deadline), a port was only compelted and recieved if it had "Done" next to it, regardless of pay status... So yeah.. I'm rather.. annoyed. Apparantly this perosn who hasn't even finished their work yet has been paid in FULL while I, having long before finished mine, am still unpaid. Since I have the commissioner's email, I emailed them about this... still have gotten no reply.

So I'm wondering the same thing as you... Do I make an alert? It seems very fishy to me but the fact that they seem to have had smooth commissions earlier is confusing... plus the other person being paid without finishing their work.

I, like you, don't really know what else to do. The main alt they list for furc I have on pounce and it has not been on in quite some time. Even if I eventually try to resell this (which is a shame because my commissions are also $10 but I'm only able to make $3 of any given premade) she has a copy of the port in her email so I pretty much lose. Hopefully these commissioners (if they are not the same person) will come back soon and pay us what they owe. I don't want o sound mean.. but it's not exactly fair to the artists.

I'd say maybe try.. 1 more.. week? i know it's long... I don't like it either.... But I'm trying to hold out till the deadline she set for the next group which seems to be june 15th. Maybe I can catch her then if not before.
Luck to you.
Visit my site-> http://rext-rex.webs.com

currently have alts on sale! http://altmarket.net/index.php?topic=31876.msg468272#msg468272

I am adorifying!

Offline Gengar

«Reply #6: June 10, 2012, 02:55:55 AM»
@ Tourtu - I can't use that policy, because I don't like getting paid for work I haven't done.. and in the past, if I took money before doing the port, I tended to slack on it. I always -did- it, of course, but I took a bit longer than I should've. To avoid that, I don't take payment before I complete a portrait. I showed her a preview of it. This portrait is nonremap, so showing it in different colors isn't possible. I did not -email- her the portrait, however I uploaded it to dA, FAZ and here, so she could easily rip it off. I have, however, specified it is unpaid for, and I know the alt that it is supposed to go on. The person seemed nice and trustworthy, and according to her post, had flawless dealing with other artists.

@alexandra - As far as I know, she did have the money to pay me (or it seemed such), but she had 'pay dates', where she'd pay all those she owed on one given day. Which is fine with me. I don't have many ways to contact her, other than a few alts I've searched via her posts on here and added them to pounce. And her email, of course. And here. That's about it.

@Rex - Yes, we are talking about the same person then. I recall seeing your name on her thread as well. I was originally for the May deadline, but I was bumped to June 1st, which was fine. I only checked her thread once before to see if she updated it, but she didn't.. this was probably before you checked. I'm annoyed too, believe me. I just hope its a misunderstanding, like her computer broke or.. I dunno. She seemed nice and I don't want to jump down her throat, but I did my part, now she needs to do hers. I'll follow your lead and wait 'til June 15th. If I'm not paid on or before then, shit's going down. :L
Gengar -

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #7: June 10, 2012, 10:01:51 AM»
I will join you on that path if we are not paid by the 15th. I did check her FAZ account and it says that she logged in on June 3rd. Sadly.. I sent me PM on th 4th. So there is a possibility that she "never saw my message". Let's go with maybe something happened after the 3rd to prevent her from getting online. It's only 5 more days to wait.

What I still don't understand is why someone who did not finish their work got paid before me... That still perplexes me. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

currently have alts on sale! http://altmarket.net/index.php?topic=31876.msg468272#msg468272

I am adorifying!

Offline Gengar

«Reply #8: June 10, 2012, 02:21:36 PM»
I will join you on that path if we are not paid by the 15th. I did check her FAZ account and it says that she logged in on June 3rd. Sadly.. I sent me PM on th 4th. So there is a possibility that she "never saw my message". Let's go with maybe something happened after the 3rd to prevent her from getting online. It's only 5 more days to wait.

What I still don't understand is why someone who did not finish their work got paid before me... That still perplexes me. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

I sent my message on the 2nd, so she would've and should've seen it. All we can do is wait and hope we're not getting screwed over, cuz it'd be near impossible for me to fully edit a nonremap port and sell it as a premade.. just too much work.
Gengar -

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #9: June 10, 2012, 02:53:07 PM»
I received a PM from her today saying that she will send payment ASAP and that she had bene without internet. For now I will give her the benefit of the doubt. hopefully we will see payment soon.

I am adorifying!

Offline Gengar

«Reply #10: June 12, 2012, 12:28:47 AM»
UPDATE: She has apparently been without internet. I assume this was unplanned, as to promise a paydate during downtime is.. ridiculous. She said she will pay immediately. I checked my Paypal; nothing yet. The message was sent on June 10th. Its now the 12th...

Will keep updated.
Gengar -

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #11: June 12, 2012, 12:39:07 AM»
Same here. I'll let you know when I get a hit in my Paypal.
3 days until the next big deadline she set. No updates on her thread here.

HOWEVER, there is a Latifah on FAM (they list Yogurt as an alt they own, so it should be the same Latifah) and they were active just recently trying to sell alts. Seeing as how she was trying to sell and not buy I'm guessing that this means she's trying to build up more money to pay everyone.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:41:42 AM by Rex T-Rex »

I am adorifying!

Offline Gengar

«Reply #12: June 12, 2012, 12:23:39 PM»
Same here. I'll let you know when I get a hit in my Paypal.
3 days until the next big deadline she set. No updates on her thread here.

HOWEVER, there is a Latifah on FAM (they list Yogurt as an alt they own, so it should be the same Latifah) and they were active just recently trying to sell alts. Seeing as how she was trying to sell and not buy I'm guessing that this means she's trying to build up more money to pay everyone.

She should've had the money beforehand.. this is how things like this happen. :/ Can't help but think her 'being without internet' is a convenient excuse. Hopefully we'll get out money on or before the 15th... really don't want to go through this crap again.
Gengar -

Offline Rex T-Rex

«Reply #13: June 12, 2012, 03:18:14 PM»
Ther person she already paid to do 4 ports seems to also charge $10 per port.. she lists only having $40 per batch.. so that's $40 right there (even though supposedly the art is still not finished). It is by no means a good situation, but perhaps she paid the $40 for some reason or another onyl to then realize that she only had $40 to spend.. I relaly don't know why things went the way they did. But let's just hope that this is resolved soon. It's not really fair to people who completed their art on time to go wihtout pay while others are paid before work is finished (the onyl reason for this I can think of is that the other artist wanted to be paid before completion of their work

I am adorifying!

Offline Gengar

«Reply #14: June 16, 2012, 12:51:45 PM»
Gengar -