turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How much continuity is too much?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Hindi

How much continuity is too much?
«: July 25, 2012, 07:34:49 PM»
Do you guys feel that conforming to a dream's standards ever feels like it's a big pain in the ass that doesn't allow you to get creative? Or do you like to "find a place" in a continuity and create characters based on the dreams with in-depth settings you visit?

Discuss. How much is too much information for a continuity? Is it uninteresting when there's too much freedom? What's your deal type of continuity, if any?

Offline Spellplague

Re: How much continuity is too much?
«Reply #1: July 26, 2012, 01:37:36 PM»
I think that if you go into a dream where there is an already established continuity with rules and standards, it's exceptionally rude and arrogant to think that you have the 'right' to then throw that out the window. That's like going into, say, a shop that stocks only girly things and asking for the latest heavy metal t-shirt, and then throwing a tantrum when they don't stock it.

I prefer continuities with some flexibility; TGT, for example, has a backstory but does allow patrons & players to deviate from that if they wish so long as it does not alarmingly disturb how the roleplaying is done and does not harass other players. The rules are there for a reason, to encourage creativity.
Contact
(faz/fam/da/rpr) spellplague

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: July 26, 2012, 02:02:28 PM»
i personally like heavy continuities because when rules are too lenient, it gets really irritating for me as a player because none of the characters and scenarios fit together.

i don't really think it affects my creativity either, and i like the challenge of creating a character within an existing continuity, but that's just my preference.

erde

«Reply #3: July 31, 2012, 09:40:26 PM»
I also like continuities, but I don't like them to be stuck up their own ass about it. I go to TGT once in a while because it's so populated, but really it's not the type of continuity I'd want to be apart of. I made my own dream with a continuity, but no one goes.

So I'm at an impasse. :I