turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price opinions?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Tesla

Price opinions?
«: August 25, 2012, 01:44:10 PM»
I do have clients willing to pay these prices, but I was wondering what this side of town thought of my prices. Thanks for any replies!

Sketch -- $1.00
Simple sketch, loose lines only

Colored sketch -- $4.00
Cleaner lines with simple shading

Steam avatar -- $10.00
500 x 500 pixels, resized upon request or as necessary to 184x184 pixels, for Steam Client

Simple painting -- $15.00
One character, minimalistic or no background

Complex painting -- $45.00
One character, background

Offline Etro

Re: Price opinions?
«Reply #1: August 25, 2012, 01:54:07 PM»
I am no artist, but your request for opinions grabbed me, so I felt I should reply. =p Personally, I find your prices very reasonable up until the complex painting. Maybe dip it down to around $30? Other than that, you're great!

erde

«Reply #2: August 25, 2012, 07:26:44 PM»
I think your prices are fair, but I also think you should start your complex paintings closer to 30-35. you can raise it if a character seems a bit more complex. (:

your art is lovely and i especially love your steam icons.

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: August 26, 2012, 01:44:04 AM»
(: Since you're not looking for actual art critique, I moved this to the correct section. Good luck!

Offline tourtu

«Reply #4: August 27, 2012, 10:12:40 PM»
i think everything is fairly priced. though for that particular complex painting, i would pay $30.

i would not pay $45 because--aside from the anatomy which you need to work on (her legs and feet look disproportionate and out of perspective)-- your values are also off. there is a great contrast of her gloves, tights, and hair which detracts attention from the dress. this leads to the unbalanced look of the painting. you can clearly see the value problem when everything is viewed in grayscale http://i.imgur.com/LXT8a.png where the values of her dress match that of the background.

in pricing your work you have to not only take into account your own time, effort, and skill.. but also execution.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:16:28 PM by tourtu »

Offline Tesla

«Reply #5: August 27, 2012, 10:50:47 PM»
i think everything is fairly priced. though for that particular complex painting, i would pay $30.

i would not pay $45 because--aside from the anatomy which you need to work on (her legs and feet look disproportionate and out of perspective)-- your values are also off. there is a great contrast of her gloves, tights, and hair which detracts attention from the dress. this leads to the unbalanced look of the painting. you can clearly see the value problem when everything is viewed in grayscale http://i.imgur.com/LXT8a.png where the values of her dress match that of the background.

in pricing your work you have to not only take into account your own time, effort, and skill.. but also execution.
I didn't have a lot of access to help at the time I made it, so I'm somewhat pleased that that's all you mentioned, haha. Admittedly, probably because I am still proud of it ~a year later, it is hard for me to see what you do. But anatomy is definitely something I am always working on.

Thank you for the grayscale perspective, that had never occurred to me. I hope to use that knowledge for improvement.