turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Resizing non-remap ports for the FSH editor?  (Read 925 times)

Offline RainbowsHaven

Resizing non-remap ports for the FSH editor?
«: January 30, 2013, 12:15:02 AM»
So, I prefer remap to non-remap ports and pixel to digital ports... But I know digital ports are the cool thing to do, so I've been trying my hand at them lately. It seems like the best chance at getting a nice, painted non-remap would be to draw the port larger, then resize it to 95 x 95.

To get some practice, I decided to try this method during a port trade with another artist. I sketched out the image on paper (I still prefer that to digital sketching), scanned it, then inked and began to color it at 722x722 pixels. (That number was arbitrary)

I'm about 35% done with the shading and all of the flats are filled in, but every time I do a "test" resize of the port, it looks TERRIBLE. I intend to use binkari's (http://binkari.deviantart.com/art/Process-Non-Remap-Portraits-101231659) method of resizing, swapping the palette, and fixing errors pixel by pixel, but so little detail is left when I resize that the entire thing just looks AWFUL. I have the same issue no matter what image I use, how I crop it, or what resize filter I use in Photoshop (bilinear, bicubic sharper, automatic, etc).

For argument's sake, this is the port I'm trying to resize: http://gyazo.com/bd0b21d17ddd30047635daf41397fb33.png?1359522702

I'm not the best at digital art, so I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong here? Is it just that I have too much detail in the image--is it a composition problem, or am I just doing something wrong? I use SAI to do my painting and Photoshop CS4 to resize.

Offline Mayim

Re: Resizing non-remap ports for the FSH editor?
«Reply #1: January 30, 2013, 12:40:15 AM»
I copied your watermarked image into sai and it didn't look too bad shrunk to 95x95 (though the WM made it hard to see much). I'd try cropping it for the sake of having more character and less background, personally.

What program are you using though...?

Offline RainbowsHaven

«Reply #2: January 30, 2013, 12:49:39 AM»
I copied your watermarked image into sai and it didn't look too bad shrunk to 95x95 (though the WM made it hard to see much). I'd try cropping it for the sake of having more character and less background, personally.

What program are you using though...?

I was using Photoshop CS4 because I sort of assumed the resize filters/algorithms would be better, but I just resized it in SAI (I actually didn't know how, but I figured it out, haha) and it does look better.

So I suppose the issue is Photoshop...?

Offline Mayim

«Reply #3: January 30, 2013, 01:05:52 AM»
You said yourself it looks better in another program. I'd say to just resize in there, haha. I predominantly use sai for that and filters alone. xD

anything