turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My thoughts on roleplay dreams on furcadia.  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Electric Guitar

My thoughts on roleplay dreams on furcadia.
«: June 08, 2008, 07:21:17 PM»
This is a bit of a broad debate and poll. I'm sure this topic has been covered quite thoroughly, but I wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Is it just me, or has roleplay really gone down hill on furcadia? I mean sure furcadia has a lot of roleplay dreams, but what I'm finding predominant in most of them is a lack of origionality in both dream storylines and the artwork of the dream itself.

Most feral dreams seem to use the same avatars/patches/ports available for free download. Swiftkill's huskies and lions. I've seen them nearly everywhere. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty decent. I just like to see some more fresh artwork thats creative and well done. Yellowstone is a great example of a dream with origional patch/port/and avatar work. I'd love to see more dreams like it. I love how it utilizes phoenix speak. The new animation provided offers us all kinds of possibilities that I don't think enough dreams use.

I've seen my fair share of feral dreams in the time I've spent on furcadia, but what about other stuff? What about human roleplay? I see so much wolf/warriors/horse/lion roleplay, but what about humans or anthros? The few I do see are in Imaginaruim or are fandom based like the Kingdom Hears/Naruto dreams. The only good dreams that I can think of for humans or anthros are Draygan's Hollow in Imaginaruim or The Golden Tether in Furn.

For the few good dreams I do see, the roleplay activity is seriously lacking. Everyone will sit on their duffs in the ooc, but hardly anyone will go roleplay anymore. It's especially dishearting to see good dreams that have little to no activity. Hollowood, a dream with some beautiful patches, avatars, and ports got no activity at all. Raptor Forest had a very slow death due to inactivity and it may have been perhaps been to strict rules.

Which brings me to another point. What do you consider is too strict? I personally love strict roleplay dreams. But to everyone else, filling out an application to be reviewed by staff these days is a turn off. To me that speaks laziness because its a great way of keeping idiots out of the ic zone.

Well now that I have spouted my opinions, I'd like to hear yours. Perhaps I haven't seen or said all that there needs to be, so if you think I'm wrong, please tell me!

As a last note, I am a dream weaver and I am getting the itch to make a dream. So I'd also like to hear some of your ideas on roleplay dreams you'd like to see. So please give me suggestions!  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:23:09 PM by Blindation »

Offline Moose

Re: My thoughts on roleplay dreams on furcadia.
«Reply #1: June 08, 2008, 08:28:43 PM»
I see what you mean, but I'm a bit iffy since I don't roleplay enough.

I find a lot of people put "RP?" "Roleplay, please" "Whisper and Roleplayer Friendly", et cetera in their descriptions. To me, that's a signal you want the roleplay to come to you instead of initiating it yourself. I give big, big, big kudos and love to those who sit in the middle of a dream and just post, even roleplay with themselves in attempt to get some entertainment and roleplay interest of others.

To be honest, I am sick of gates to the in-character section of dreams (by gates, I mean lockable doorways the prevent entry unless a "staff member" opens it), most of these are located in AI - other maps are more lenient on posting, it seems. When you try to enter a dream, they ask you to have realistic colours (Completely reasonable if a realistic dream!) but other dreams require you to post an example of your roleplay to make sure it's "worthy" enough to be posted in their dream (usually means a paragraph of thesaurus-related words and a random subject). I, personally, believe I'd rather someone give me three lines of text which sums up exactly what they just did/are doing, than 2 paragraphs of garble that requires translating with a thesaurus and dictionary. When it gets into the two and three paragraph lengths of roleplay, I immediately lose interest because of the wait to receive responses.

I also find, when entering the in-character sections of dreams that there is an ENORMOUS serge of ooc chatter. About 80% of the time, IC is used as an OOC social outlook because the OOC section is "full of AFK-ers". That irritates the hell out of me. I entered the IC to roleplay, not to talk about my cat or the weather.

As far as originality in dream patches goes, the more original the patches the more interest and stimulation I get visually and Im sure people agree on that.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:33:03 PM by Enya »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #2: June 08, 2008, 08:37:52 PM»
I've found that the best roleplays are between two or three people who play multiple characters (On Furcadia anyway).

In general, I think that any large continuities eventually fall prey to snotty 'regulars' or slanted moderators who ruin the game for everyone or take OOC matters IC and ruin it that way.

I remember back in 2002 they had some working army dreams in AI and there were active taverns like Bail's in Imag. Now you're lucky to find an active starship or forest with more than 2 people in them at any given time. And if you do find a heavily populated place, more than likely OOC drama has ruined much of it for anyone new.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #3: June 08, 2008, 08:41:59 PM»
@Enya:I agree. Gates in dreams and thesaurus raping to put it plainly are major turn offs for me too. I also hate it when I see ooc in the ic. Usually staff will warn them or eject them depending on the situation so usually its not a big deal for me.

@Hugo: I hate snotty regulars as well. Being staff or a regular doesn't make you god. You should view it as a greater responsibility to help out newcomers. I also agree that ooc drama has killed a lot of dreams, I having staffed in a dream that collapsed in that way. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:23:58 PM by Blindation »

Offline Booker

«Reply #4: June 08, 2008, 09:12:34 PM»
I think a lot of people need to be encouraged to roleplay. some of us are.. shy. there are a TON of creative people out there that I know that are just.. too scared to go into a dream with complete strangers and start up a roleplay, ESPECIALLY when there are people in there snottin' it up with their 'vast' vocabularies, god forbiding they roleplayed with someone who doesn't sit there with a thesaurus. I know I'M intimidated by other roleplayers, and usually when I visit roleplaying dreams I will sit in the IC area for hours, silently, waiting. seeming much like a stalker, but I'm really just nervous.

regulars scare the living hell out of me in dreams, rofl. i've seen some of them act really rudely and just laugh at new roleplayers, but it's not that way with ALL of them.

I don't think there should be 'applications' to just roleplay in a dream. yeah, it's a good way to weed out the not so great roleplayers but hey, we ALL start somewhere. some people just need to be taught the rules of what to do and what not to do. all they need is to be taught what's right and wrong, and by not roleplaying with them, they are never going to learn.

Blindation, in your first post you briefly mentioned Drayagns Hollow. I think that place is DEFINITELY one of, if not the best place to go to roleplay pretty much any kind of character. they have a very active community, and incredibly nice regulars there. I remember a while ago there was an awesome dreamwide roleplay- there was a flood and it gave people the oppurtunity to roleplay in places with new people. what an awesome night that was, but I digress.

the biggest problem, I think, is that most dreams are too strict and some of them are too lenient, and there are few that balance them nicely. that's just my opinion, of course.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #5: June 08, 2008, 09:35:11 PM»
On the note of Draygan's Hollow I can tell you this, the people seem nice at first but then you begin to open your eyes. If you are a person who can be easily hurt by betrayal, try not to get too attached.

It isn't just me, but I'm not at liberty to give names other than my own.

Offline Schwarz

«Reply #6: June 08, 2008, 10:01:00 PM»
Seeing as I love to write, & I love to see how my characters evolve through interaction with others, I crave roleplay. Unfortunately, I find it exceedingly difficult to find anything past ":sits down & says hi" anymore. Or else I will find a very good player.. who only wants pixel sex. The best play I get is with friends, & even that seems to be tapering off.

I've been kicked out & even banned from several dreams for anything ranging from roleplaying a canon character, to being a female roleplaying a male. I've even gotten static about my descriptions not being "informative enough about the character," despite the fact that all of my main alts have websites for more in-depth details.

By this point I'm just nervous about entering any new dream because you never know how the staff/regulars will react. The few dreams I'm "welcome" in, I suppose, have no IC areas at all & are strictly for socializing. I'm more or less forced to just sit around on main maps & hope someone whispers asking for roleplay.

It's.. sad. It really is.
I'm glad you realize how miserable your life would be without me.
re-animator.net -- a vast waste of internet

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #7: June 08, 2008, 10:08:42 PM»
That's terrible Kaiba! What's wrong with people playing opposite their gender? I mean how imature do they take us for? Do they realize how many people play opposites of their gender?

Offline Booker

«Reply #8: June 08, 2008, 10:16:21 PM»
dahh I would rp with you Kaiba.
but yes I agree with Blindation. what in the hell. I've yet to come across a dream with the gender thing, but it's totally ridiculous. the thing about not having enough info of your characters seems very slightly more reasonable. it's just more convenient for people to just read it on furc than say, someone with an incredibly slow connection having to click on a website and search around just to get the details.

Offline Azula

«Reply #9: June 08, 2008, 10:31:55 PM»
i prefer to keep RPs to my friends and me so we don't have any dramaramas in our RPs. OOCly, we might, but not ICly.

USELESS POST.

Offline Tate

«Reply #10: June 09, 2008, 05:50:17 AM»
I very rarely play anymore. But it is only because most people are rather boring.

One thing that really bugs me is the people who say, 'lol, ur characterz an anthro so she dosnt hav ane animal aspects'. No, that doesn't upset me because of the plain statement. I've taken it out of context. The context they use it in, however, is what upsets me.

Since I play a rodent character, she does rodent things. If she's terrified? She pisses herself. If the terror keeps happening, unrelenting? Anyone who's owned a rodent knows what happens next. So, I play her rather realistically for a rodent. But, apparently even a mention of the word "feces", not even in any descriptiveness in the least, makes people, and I quote, "become unable to eat their dinner.".

Now, what am I pissed at that about? Surely I notice that it is a little disgusting. But, how dare they tell me that my character's anthro and thus lost their animal attributes, and then have their dog character sniff something? Or bark? Or growl because someone looked in its eyes? Or, how dare they have their character do ANYTHING a human wouldn't do? It is not fair, in the least, to pick and choose what animal things might be incorporated into a character--especially one that isn't your own. (let alone the fact that, while my character may be anthro, she's not quite intelligent enough to be anthro of mind. 'Feral' instincts and actions, ya?)

That is the main thing that throws me off from RPing. Not specifically my ongoing 'problems' with Tachs, but that your character is NOT allowed to be unique.

If your character is an alcoholic? You're an attention whore. If your female has small breasts? You get whispers cussing you out. If your character isn't a fox/cat/dog/wolf/other common species? People AVOID you. Yes, avoid. I've even had people on a site cuss me out, for playing a rat, because it's not 'popular' (by their own words!), and is thus not worthy of existing. They screamed about this merely for the species--they didn't even look any further than that!

... going off topic. But that's why a lot of RP seems to suck ass, as I see it. You're not allowed to be unique. The TGT is a great example of this mindset. Unless you're a macho man-slaver, or a slutty slave in a pen, you're ignored. If you try to make active RP posts, outside of those lines, you're either ignored, or get abusive whispers. 'How dar u nt b a sltty ktty slve 2 ft on my 5646456546544645 foot cock?! ur stupd & a attn hor!"

... God, I'm terrible at expressing my feelings. Hugo, give me your writing capabilities, please.

Also,  I will go against popular opinion here and say that I abhor three lined RPs. Those posts should only be used when you can't say much. I want my RP to have many things happening at once--not one dimensional actions, and nothing else. It gets boring and repetitive to post back and forth about tiny little actions.

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #11: June 09, 2008, 09:46:10 AM»
Wow Tachs. I've played 'odd' animals, such as my satyr/goat character, and I've never been cussed out or told to change. In fact, the people I've RPed with found it more interesting than 'offensive'.

But, anyways. I've been a bit disheartened lately about RP, merely for the fact that OOC drama always manages to sneak in and cause problems. Not necessarily between myself and the person, because I'm pretty laid-back and always avoid drama at all costs, but either between that person and themselves or some other person. It just annoys me that OOC drama should effect RP at ALL. It's OOC, seriously. So... I don't know. I've just been kind of 'meh' lately.

It seems like it's becoming harder and harder to find nice people to RP with anyways. People keep wanting to be instantly 'mated' to my character, when the character realistically would take a lot of getting-to-know and seducing to like anyone. Just because I say that they'd make a cute couple doesn't mean that they can magically be an item and be pushing out babies. Also, I wish people weren't so focused on only having lover's via RP. Personally, I think it'd be fun to have my character have friends, enemies, shoulders-to-cry-on, and other types of people... but, oh well. I just see a lot of this, too.

Sorry if any of this is off-topic or whatever, I guess it turned into a bit of a rant.

As for dreams in general, a lot of the one's I go to are OOC a lot, but very respectful if someone comes in RPing or somebody decides to make a post. We'll all either hush, get in character, or move it to the OOC room/whispers. It's really sad to see the rest of your posts about how snobby people are in dreams... :\ I myself have never really been to one lately, but I guess that's because I'm too shy to move from a dream once people start talking to me.
"You can't be gay and in a western, especially in Wyoming." she said, "Plus there weren't any gay people back in 1963."

Offline Strawberry Pocky

«Reply #12: June 09, 2008, 10:20:22 AM»
I'm so glad someone finally brought this up!

I opened a dream a long time ago, I had someone develop a site and everything for it. It was a fighter's  dream because I was tired of going around and seeing just random ooc at fighter's bars. The dreams would be awesome, but the ooc and onelineing was freaking annoying! And then not to mention none of the posts were preeped. It made me wish Petra, the owner of The Tombs, was still around. That was an awesome dream. Anyway, I put the dream up, me and a friend set up an actual application  on the site for people to fill out, said if a chara didn't work atleast one hour out of two weeks that that meant their fired, and we also wanted to use the applications as a way of making sure the rpers weren't one liners and so we could keep up with who was working there and not. We also laid down some basic rules (children not allowed in the bar after this time, don't do this, don't do that, obey the staff or risk being ejected, always ic, unless you are in a room or talking in whispers, post atleast three lines) easy no brainier stuff, and considering it was a fighting dream after all there were strict rules on fighting. I had the dream up for a while, and no one was really interested because they were too lazy!

Another thing, I sit in TSM all the time, keeping to the rules of when i am idle going to the green chairs and not idle in black chairs. I try to start an rp, and all i get as replies is tons of whispers like "U want sexs?" No, I rp at TSM because it is a nice dream that isn't too crowded and has decent rping rules.

Then I ventured to Bunny Studios with my chara Strawberry Pocky, a changeling, with a friend and was in a room with them when I was told to leave because she was human. That is a lil too strict. I feel considering I was in a room and not bugging anyone I shouldn't have been asked to leave. Not to mention, I offered to change her into her feline form and they still said no  that I had to leave.

Further more I hate how people get mad when you try to help them rp-wise. I have taught many how to rp because I have been rping for 9 years, 8 or 7 of which was strict para and fighting rps in Yahoo, MSN (when the chats were open), and forums. About 4 years ago was when I started rping on Furcy. Anyway, I was in an rp in this dream and everything, rping his storyline... When one of the guys just suddenly shadow steps and is automatically choking another chara. Me having a chara that uses shadowmancy (Brixie for 4 or 3 years now), and I know which moves should use a preep and how many preeps it shoudl be. Shadow stepping takes atleast one preep post because it is like teleporting. This keeps the fighting and magic from being godmoding and autohitting. Either way, I know some people do not know of these things so I whisper the guy and say "Hey, can I tell you something without you getting mad?" "Sure" he said. "Have you ever heard of preeping. Whenever you use magic you should preep. I have a shadowmancer chara so I know how it is with shadow stepping and there should have been atleast one preep. I could help you learn after this rp if you want!" He suddenly goes off and goes all emo saying out loud in the main chat, "I'm not good enough to rp that is what some people thinks!" Turns out his g/f was the co owner of the dream, and even though I said sorry, I got ejected and banned...

So not only do I feel some great rp dreams are going down hill because people are lazy, but I also see rp in general going down because everyone is too freaking stubborn and hardheaded to try and learn the rules or even try to give their best in a post. They seem to think but Para or Semi-para you automatically mean a novel and they would rather keep with their ooc, onelineing, and "sexes you."

I really wish there was something we could do to keep the rp from going down and then becoming extinct like it did in the Yahoo chat.....  :'(

Clint: Don't worry, regulars and the like scare the hell out of me as well. But the chara I mainly use to dream hop is a bitch. Why do I use her to try to find good rp? Because unlike Pocky and my other charas, she is a bitch and will cuss someone out for being an ass to her and tell them to back it up with a fight. If they win, i accept defeat, if I win on the other hand they start calling me a noob and say I cheated some how and shit. But the reason why I fight better then them is because I come up with some of my own original stuff rather than using moves from an anime and jackie-chan movies. As for the applications, I see it as a way of keeping up with who is working there and who isn't, not as a way of seeing their rping abilities. I do ask for a ref post, but if they suck i do not judge them. I will tell them they aren't that great but that I can work with them on it. Often, I pull them into rps with me or throw them into the arena and tell them in whispers what they need to work on. I believe in Quality over Quantity and Quality does not always mean have a Thesaurus. lol.

Tachs: Believe me, I know how you feel! My charas seem odd to a lot of people. Brixie, pink hair, green eyes, petite form. most automatically assume she is going to be this cute lil thing if they skim over her desc. Then they are totally turned off because "gurls arnt sppsed 2 b indepenant or fiht." Then, I decide maybe Bri is too much of a bitch so I make Aquatic Lullaby, aka Tsunami, who is a sweet faerie and feline. No one likes her because I base her fae off of The Merry Gentry series by Laurell K Hamilton, so her skin shines like moonlight, she has gray feline ears and feline tail, but long blue hair, and big fae wings. She is a slave and one time I was fussed at. "Btch! U arnt supposd 2 have wings! Makes it harder 4 meh 2 sexes U!" Then, as stated earlier, Pocky gets fussed at for being a human, even when I say I will change her to her feline or foxen form.

Dormouse: Nice name! <3 But yea, I understand what you mean by the mated part. Back when Brixie was my only chara, she had a tone of males wanting to be her mates, but she didn't want a mate, she just wanted to fight! She has the same fighting spirit as her father so mating was not on her mind. But Pocky was made as a fun chara. Someone to make friend with people, and have enemies, and all I get from guys and girls is them eventually wanting to mate with her when I play her as this sweet girl that is too innocent and shy for that right now. There is only one person that she would ever trust enough to be mated to and he is currently already mated so she is not getting mated any time soon...

All: Sorry this post was so big and long winded. =P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:53:30 AM by Brixie Prysm »
Donnie: "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"
Frank:  "Why do you wear that stupid man suit?"
-Donnie Darko

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #13: June 09, 2008, 12:47:26 PM»
@everyone: Haven't we evolved yet? I mean my goodness, I didn't realize some forms society were transferring into roleplay. What I speak of is mannequism. It seems to be happening on furcadia as it does in regular society. A unique character should never be justification for harassment, ejection, or banning. I mean there are other characters out their besides freakin canines and felines people.

Roleplay is definatley not all about love and sex. Some of us are just looking to devolp their characters and isn't that what roleplay is all about? I love making friends and enemies though roleplay. I also love roleplaying in plots. Relationships are nice, but they aren't everything.

And another thing, haven't we evolved from treating women like crap? Unless you were roleplaying in a medieval timeset, what's wrong with strong woman characters? We're not in the 50s anymore.

@Brixie: That's a shame to see people acting so irate towards roleplay help. I use to roleplay in a dream that offered roleplay classes. I like the idea of roleplay classes to help people. It makes the regulars/staff look so much more decent and kind then what I usually see: "lol u can't roleplay. Go the fuck away noob!" Everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way and its given me a lot of ideas for my roleplay dream. I'm still looking for roleplay dream suggestions so if anyone has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.   

Offline Strawberry Pocky

«Reply #14: June 09, 2008, 01:03:01 PM»
Once you get your dream up, send me a message. I would love to rp with you and attribute to the dream! ^-^
Donnie: "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"
Frank:  "Why do you wear that stupid man suit?"
-Donnie Darko

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #15: June 09, 2008, 05:56:15 PM»
I'd be glad to.  :)

Offline aehon

«Reply #16: June 10, 2008, 03:53:29 PM»
Well, here's my two cents.

Cent number one - I'd say certain forms/types of RP are losing.. Well, not quantity, but quality. As someone who recently left a dream I was Tahneesting because of OOC crap and the stagnation of it as a place of RP, that is where my opinion is derived from.

Cent number two - I agree with the argument that a dream doesn't need original patches, but decent RPers. I've just tried to create my own dream for the first time, and it's daunting, looking through an archive like Roamheart. But it's even more daunting to open up Paint or the FSH Editor and tyr to make your own patches. Y'get the vision of grandeur, and then you can't make it, and it's irksome. So I blended in a lot of different patches together, as is common.

Black Rain

«Reply #17: June 12, 2008, 03:59:53 AM»
Most feral dreams seem to use the same avatars/patches/ports available for free download. Swiftkill's huskies and lions. I've seen them nearly everywhere. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty decent. I just like to see some more fresh artwork thats creative and well done. Yellowstone is a great example of a dream with origional patch/port/and avatar work.

Agreed.

For the few good dreams I do see, the roleplay activity is seriously lacking. Everyone will sit on their duffs in the ooc, but hardly anyone will go roleplay anymore. It's especially dishearting to see good dreams that have little to no activity. Hollowood, a dream with some beautiful patches, avatars, and ports got no activity at all. Raptor Forest had a very slow death due to inactivity and it may have been perhaps been to strict rules.

Agreed on that as well. I love Hollowood but, I hate how theres little to no activity. It's like that in most feral dreams now days. There use to be a bunch of activitie in all the feral dream but, it's like  people of furcadia just stopped giving two shits about good quality roleplaying anymore and, decided to just do nothing. Raptor forest was a kick ass dream. I loved evertything in that dream. Except, the fact that it basicly became a spot for lazy idlers. A pitty. That dream was one of the top best in AI. The Claiming Grounds. Was awsome. Is now another spot for lazy idlers. Yellowstone is awsome but, I see more people at the entrance idled than I do in the dream itself. Same can be said for Tanzania. I see very little roleplaying nowdays in that dream. Use to be a bunch of roleplaying going on but, as I said before, everyone I guess stopped caring about roleplaying.

To be honest, I am sick of gates to the in-character section of dreams (by gates, I mean lockable doorways the prevent entry unless a "staff member" opens it), most of these are located in AI - other maps are more lenient on posting, it seems. When you try to enter a dream, they ask you to have realistic colours (Completely reasonable if a realistic dream!) but other dreams require you to post an example of your roleplay to make sure it's "worthy" enough to be posted in their dream (usually means a paragraph of thesaurus-related words and a random subject). I, personally, believe I'd rather someone give me three lines of text which sums up exactly what they just did/are doing, than 2 paragraphs of garble that requires translating with a thesaurus and dictionary. When it gets into the two and three paragraph lengths of roleplay, I immediately lose interest because of the wait to receive responses.

Gates "used" to be for people to remove the so called "twinks" from entering the dream. Thus, causing elitism. Now, it's just annoying. I'm also sick of gates. People should be able to roleplay in the dream if they suck at roleplaying or not. There is ways to tell the person that they are not doing well in roleplaying besides being rude or, flaming them or, puting a gate up just to keep them out. No one likes gate based dreams anymore which is why there is hardly anyone in those dreams anymore.

I also find, when entering the in-character sections of dreams that there is an ENORMOUS serge of ooc chatter. About 80% of the time, IC is used as an OOC social outlook because the OOC section is "full of AFK-ers". That irritates the hell out of me. I entered the IC to roleplay, not to talk about my cat or the weather.

Once again. I agree. It is annoying to enter a dream to find that nearly, over or, about half of the dream is in the OOC area doing nothing but idling or, just talking. I've seen some dreams. Feral mostly, where people come in the dream every day just to sit in the OOC area and talk up storms for hours then, idle then, talk some more. It's like they have nothing better to do. Even when feral dreams are mosly for Roleplaying and, not spending hours on hours gabbing.

In general, I think that any large continuities eventually fall prey to snotty 'regulars' or slanted moderators who ruin the game for everyone or take OOC matters IC and ruin it that way.

Your forgot one Hugo. Snotty, Stuck Up Asshole Jerk Dickheaded Staff Members. Some whom oftenly let thier friends get thier way. If a so called "friend" does not like some one who enterd the dream. He/She talks to the owner or, the "friend" worker/staff and gets that person ejected and/or baned from the dream for no to a shitty reason. Those types are in 98% of the dreams that fill AI.

the biggest problem, I think, is that most dreams are too strict and some of them are too lenient, and there are few that balance them nicely. that's just my opinion, of course.
I agree. Some are. But, theres nothing anyone can do about it.

As for playing uniqe characters. I have an asian dragon as a character. I very VERY rarely see any of those around at all. Even in FurN. The most common dragon seen anywhere and, everywhere in Furcadia is the Western. It's over-popular and that to me, is sad. When people can come up with a uniqe character that is rarely played or, has never ben played before, That is what makes furcadia uniqe itself. However, there are too many popular species like wolves and tigers and such. I'd like to see more uniqe characters with rare or, different spieces.

Offline Hermes

«Reply #18: June 12, 2008, 12:00:00 PM»
Wow, this topic intrigued me because everyone seemed to have very good points, and I know mine may by similar to waht's already been said, but this is from my own personal experience. ^^;

Personally, I'm very shy about rp-ing, especially since my character is so unusual and I don't tend to write those long descriptions. I don't write long descriptions because personally, I like to get to know characters through actually interacting with them, rather than knowing everything the moment I see them, though then again, descriptions of how they look help of course.

I understand about the regulars and staff problems, since I too have seen quite a few incidents where some unfair decisions are made or OOC gets dragged into the RP itself. That really used to bother me when people let OOC incidents ruin the RP, which in turn, ruins it for everyone, not just the individual that one may have held a grudge against. However, of course, not all staffers and regulars are like that but sometimes... rps just die down once things just keep repeating.

However, I'm pretty laid back when it comes to posts, since I know I sometimes run out of ideas too, so I don't mind when one moment it's a paragraph, and the next it's only a few lines. I crave rp normally, hence why even some DA posts turn into mini-rps sometimes, but I guess that there are some really 'common' types of dreams out there, plus I have my shyness problem.

Another problem I had on rp, like some had mentioned before, is how many just seem to want to 'pair' up and 'make love' if you catch my drift. Funnily enough, my own char is genderless, which gets frowned upon at times, but that means he can't really do the kind of things like most chars... plus, he doesn't really know much about technology, which are very interessting barriers to watch him break, and in case you're wondering why I call him 'him,' it's just so he doesn't sound like an object... And now I'm going off-topic, sorry. ^^; But the point of this part was that some people just rp for the sake of 'intimate relationships' but I'm someone who likes to get to know the character first.

As for roleplaying the opposite of your sex, or in my case in between?, I don't see the problem with it, nor are their any problems with playing as an anthro with animal behaviour, as I know had been mentioned before, and personally, I think acting with animal instincts is interresting. I know my character acts strangely because most of the time he may not know what a modern object is.

... I think that's about it from me... sorry about all that. ^^;

Art © Sushi on dA - Species © Theme on FA

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #19: June 12, 2008, 04:24:38 PM»
... World of Darkness with Smurfs. Hmmmm.
Ok, sorry for making a crappy off-topic post, but that would be AMAZING. I'd so be up for that.

(I have a few more things to say on the original topic. I'll edit this later once I'm a bit more awake and can word it right.)
"You can't be gay and in a western, especially in Wyoming." she said, "Plus there weren't any gay people back in 1963."

Offline Hugo

«Reply #20: June 12, 2008, 11:41:03 PM»
@Youlanda.

A dream is only as good as the people in it?

.. no shit.

I mean, I don't even say that as an insult, I just don't see where you were disagreeing with me. A lot of people on Furcadia suck when it comes to staffing therefore I plant the flag of my negative opinion.

You and I both know there are exceptions to everything and so I never say things like ALL dreams suck or ALL staff are haughty elitists. Just a crapload of them.

Black Rain

«Reply #21: June 13, 2008, 07:36:57 AM»

Or maybe they have lives, you know, school, jobs, stress and just don't feel like going IC. Maybe they want to hang out with their friends. Maybe they just want to be more selective about who they're playing with.

I think that the "NO OOC" crap that floats around the RP community causes more harm than good. People are lead to believe they can't have IC and OOC, and people eventually decide they want friends, people to talk to, people who care, more than absolute strangers they're RPing with.

If they want to go to a place to chat, then, they should go to a regular dream like one of those non-original build-a-homes. Or some other dream for people to just hang out and chat. OR, they can make their own. How about that?  They honestly do not need to idle in a feral dream. If all they do is idle, then, they are considered Lazy. And Laziness is looked down on by active roleplayers. If you are shy, go out and try to roleplay with some one. Sitting in the dream and hoping that some one will roleplay with you does not help you at all in your "shyness". Nor, does it help you improve your roleplaying skills. I have problems here at home too. Stress by the ass loads. But, you don't see me lazily idling in a feral dream? Hell no. I do something else. Theres also the option of not getting on Furcadia if you are so dang stressed.

@Hugo
True. I've seen tons and tons of dreams go downhill because of it's staff. Most, which where dick heads or, stuck up snobby pricks that let their friends get their way.

Offline Ook

«Reply #22: June 13, 2008, 10:20:25 AM»
Most feral dreams seem to use the same avatars/patches/ports available for free download. Swiftkill's huskies and lions. I've seen them nearly everywhere. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty decent. I just like to see some more fresh artwork thats creative and well done. Yellowstone is a great example of a dream with origional patch/port/and avatar work.

Agreed.

Agreed on that as well. I love Hollowood but, I hate how theres little to no activity. It's like that in most feral dreams now days. There use to be a bunch of activitie in all the feral dream but, it's like  people of furcadia just stopped giving two shits about good quality roleplaying anymore and, decided to just do nothing. Raptor forest was a kick ass dream. I loved evertything in that dream. Except, the fact that it basicly became a spot for lazy idlers. A pitty. That dream was one of the top best in AI. The Claiming Grounds. Was awsome. Is now another spot for lazy idlers. Yellowstone is awsome but, I see more people at the entrance idled than I do in the dream itself. Same can be said for Tanzania. I see very little roleplaying nowdays in that dream. Use to be a bunch of roleplaying going on but, as I said before, everyone I guess stopped caring about roleplaying.

On the subject of Feral dreams;
I hear you! I must say that Raptor Forest got a fairly decent amount of RP during it's short reign.. I wish slang would bring it back - Claiming grounds is up again, you can find it in the wild. Also; Tiamat's new-ish dream, Alpine Ravine has some wonderful patches, but hardly any regular RPers outside the Acwellan ranks. It's easily spotted while F3-ing around the Wylde - on the cliffs, I believe.
I've almost always got an alt in there, just waiting for someone interesting to RP with. My current AR alt is Rowan, and he's had one RP so far... with a jackal, which he was more curious than anything about! If anyone has an RP-deprived feral, feel free to whisper me on Ook or Enzo to ask for some roleplay - I hardly ever decline, and my posts aren't all thesaurus-humpy.

-Ook

P.S. I recently made a Steeplechase dream for the tame horse community.. they haven't warmed to it yet, but I'm trying!

Offline Asiil

«Reply #23: June 22, 2008, 02:28:56 AM»
Meh, I'm kinda stuck in the middle on this topic.

I'm a very picky Rper by nature. I like interactive continuities with active storylines, active players, and what I consider good Rp.

Good Rp for me tends to be average posts of coherent english that are above five lines. I myself, tend to write a couple full's worth at times (though this usually occurs when there are either 1. numerous things in one post to respond to, or 2. numerous participants involved in the RP(usually ties to 1), but have been known to have brain farts and max out at maybe four lines. From my standpoint, you cannot get good quality from less than three lines. But neither is redundant, amateur (usually seen in the non-english and pre-teen posters) writing of ten or more lines. Quality and quantity in a good story go hand in hand. Stephen King writes awesome stories. Take a look at his Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. E. E. Knight's dragon trilogy. Jordan's Wheel of time. Even Rowling's Harry Potter books. Save for Knight's novels, these are all high quantity stories with a phenomenal quality (excluding certain excerpts across the board). Quantity is only bad in redundancy and "thesaurus humping".

As for good Rp dreams, I definitely agree there. Because I'm, as said, a bit pickier than I should be, my list tends to be fairly narrow. More often, the activity level of dreams is dependant on the time. Furc's most active time period is usually between 4pm and 10/11pm FST/CST when most folks either get out of school or get off work. In regards to character-restrictions, that's debatable.

Some dreams do have a higher exclusivity when it comes to those who can play here and those who cannot. The first and foremost that comes to mind was the MalfCo crew. They were strict to the point of being beyond rude to new folks. And this 'jerkish' personality was widely accepted by its other members because many of them were jerks themselves. Other dreams are not so strict, but lack substance because of it. They allow the ones that make it embarrasing to be a 'newcomer/newb' in a dream or on the game itself. These ones that refuse to accept help in fitting into the continuity and wind up getting banned because of it. (other reasons applied, as well).

The "Strict IC" that's full of AFKers may, again, stem from the times that people go in there or how well known the dream is. A new dream's Rah's may only be active at certain times of the day that others don't usually have access to. Or it could be the placement of their dreams.

But to say that there's more poor-level, inactive, too-strict dreams out there than the ones that are actually worth the time and moderate bit of effort is a bit of a stretch.

When I first started furc, there were three dreams I regulared in and one that was brought up only for RP purposes. Bail's, a medium sized medieval fantasy called Locktora (custom patches, ports, and two custom species all designed by their creator who's since had life kick her in the gut, sadly), and TSC (before the Tether really hit it off). Bail's used to be a hotspot tavern in Imag. Folks were active and usually friendly and responsive and it was just plain fun to RP there. Locktora had regular events that went on from a war/invasion scenario, to hurricane/tornado that really brought the dream together, and even a ball. Average activity level on a slow day was 20+. Some were good Rpers, some new and improving. TSC was, well, TSC. 'nough said.

I can't say I've ever been in Draygan's Hollow and I've only visited Yellowstone a couple times with a friend (lovely dream indeed.) I've drifted from the egotism of most feral dreams where mollesting the poor thesaurus is what they get their kicks from. (Just an opinion, no proof. It only stems from the times I've gone into the feral dreams YS excluded)

Probably the best interactive and player-active continuity I've joined, however, has got to be Urraim in Imag'. The Rah's are as active and cooperative as they're able with their busy lives and the 'regulars' are fairly friendly and helpful. (With the exclusion of myself because I'm kinda mean sometimes x3). We just rapped up about a month ago a major war-scenario in which some wonderful patchwork and dreamweaving really brought the story to life. That final battle for that particular event brought in 40+ participants with only six or so of those as alts of one or another or so in the dream. Two dreams were involved (Urraim's citizens and the Strihe Clan[located more towards the SW end of the road in Imag]). The continuity is constantly growing and the Rah's are soon to open the "residential district" for its members, a seperate dream that opens up space on the main map for who knows what! There are several more plots in the works at present, besides. Some player-ran, some dream-wide, some non-combat, ect. ect.

Excluding the Strihe visitors that swing by, the dreams activity count is usually upwards of 20 (depending on the day. Wed' seem to be the most active with Sat' the highest visitor count I believe, don't quote me!). Urraim's been open since about february and is still growing.

And because I've lost my train of thought now, I will cut this post short! Gotta love late nights.
I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #24: June 27, 2008, 02:13:37 AM»
I was going to bring up the continuity thing too, Youlanda. =)

I'm soon going to be moving to a (semi) gated system. Is it to week out twinks? KIND of, but it's really just there to uphold my continuity. I have had people invade my dream with an army of "invisible barbarians" before. I'm... massively protective of my continuity. It's my baby. I LOVE worldbuilding and creating things like this, and it whips me into a frenzy when people disregard things I've asked them to please read. People assume that they can mold the continuity to fit their character rather than vice versa. My dream revolves around a road through brutal, harsh mountains. There's a native species there that are great fighters--really strong, good pain tolerance, blah blah. I state straight up "A skilled fighter would be able to take on one, possibly two, of these creatures at a time under normal circumstances." Yet people come in RPing their characters as having just slain 20 (and it's not just their character bragging). Stuff like that. Also, some characters just.. don't fit into my continuity. Strict RP is strict... I have a vision for what I want my continuity to be like, for the "feeling" it gives off. That's why I'm moving to a more rigid application system--I only want people who respect my continuity to be able to enjoy it and help it evolve. If that's elitist, I'm sorry. =\ Strict RP is like one big illusion (the RP itself, not the dream). Anything unwarranted (be it unfitting characters or even things like numbers in alt names) that breaks the illusion.

I say unwarranted because there are times when it's okay to break it, namely in the OOC chatter. I, again, agree with Youlanda; it's not JUST the RP, it's the loving relationships you form with your fellow players. A few weeks ago, we did a large-scale RP that lasted several days. The RP was constant, but so was the OOC chattering... and you know what? The RP was hella fun and the OOC conversation only made it better. There were times when I hushed people up because I was making a dramatic post and I wanted it to have a stark effect, or when I wanted to get a pretty OOC-free screenshot, etc, but for the most part, I just let them free. (It was also because this was a members-only RP session and everyone knew each other well. I keep a lot of the OOC chatter out of more public RPs because, in my experience, it DOES scare off people who haven't settled into the group yet.)

I crack down hard on people acting like jerks to one another because, yes, OOC nastiness can and does drive RPers away. It's not "just a game" or "just roleplay." The emotions are real. Real adrenaline, real serotonin, real oxytocin. No matter how amazing an RPer you are, you're still a fallible creature. OOC leaks into IC. Plus, if you get into dramaz in the OOC, you're not going to want to interact with the other people in said drama.

On another note, I get lots of great RP on a daily basis and I never ever have had any complaints about my characters. This is probably just my personal experience though; maybe I've just been really really lucky over the years? These horror stories are kind of scary!

anything