turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Needing a new Shading and Linearting style.  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Sapphirus

Needing a new Shading and Linearting style.
«: June 11, 2008, 06:14:36 PM»
Although I admire my current shading/lineart skills, to me it looks kinda umproffesional comparing it to other CG peices. I don't consider myself a good artist, just one in need of improvments, vast ones.

Also, I wonder how people do these special linearting tecniques like this for example: http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/105/b/1/Organization_Atlantica_by_NorthernBanshee.jpg

Instead, I seem to consider this boring/amateur linearts that I do, like this example: http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/149/e/e/Sapph__Gang_WIP__by_SapphyDracases.jpg

I just want to know if there's any special procedures you have to use in Photoshop to make linearts look fancy as it does on the artist's example peice.
I only have Phoyoshop 7.0, I wouldn't know if I need to have a specific version to do better artwork with, but I've heard "no" from a couple people. Is it to do with special settings to the layers, etc to lineart similar to this?

I'm also wondering how to download brushes into photoshop, to use a more decent shading touch to the linearts that I do. Also, can't find many good shading tutorials on DA for some reason.

If you can help, I'd be appreciative, just be easy on me plz :/

Offline Katie!

Re: Needing a new Shading and Linearting style.
«Reply #1: June 11, 2008, 06:26:06 PM»
Hi Sapphirus!
Alright, I checked out the picture you provided, and I want to point out something. If you look closely, the lineart isn't all black, and they're made up of very thin lines - I'd estimate about a 1 pixel or 2 pixel sized brush. Your lines tend to be thicker and all black - this is fine, but I would suggest maybe doing a picture in non-black lines, and make use of your layers, so that you can change the colors of your lines later after you've decided what colors to use. The only reason I suggest not using black right off the bat is because black doesn't change color well, since.. black technically isn't a color.

Also, Photoshop 7.0 is perfectly fine. I used that for a while before making the big decision to upgrade to CS2 - It's basically all the same thing, though CS2 does make CERTAIN things easier. Photoshop CS3 isn't worth your time or your money, in my personal opinion.

To download brushes you should find brushes online that you like, save them all in a folder together, and then (I'm going off of memory here, don't have photoshop on this computer) you'll click the little arrow next to "brush" in the top right hand corner maybe? Anyway, look for "Load Brushes" then locate your folder and then click on whatever brush you'd like to load.

edit Okay, here are some tutorials I like:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:37:57 PM by Katsuu »

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #2: June 11, 2008, 06:41:14 PM»
Hi Sapphirus!
Alright, I checked out the picture you provided, and I want to point out something. If you look closely, the lineart isn't all black, and they're made up of very thin lines - I'd estimate about a 1 pixel or 2 pixel sized brush. Your lines tend to be thicker and all black - this is fine, but I would suggest maybe doing a picture in non-black lines, and make use of your layers, so that you can change the colors of your lines later after you've decided what colors to use. The only reason I suggest not using black right off the bat is because black doesn't change color well, since.. black technically isn't a color.

Also, Photoshop 7.0 is perfectly fine. I used that for a while before making the big decision to upgrade to CS2 - It's basically all the same thing, though CS2 does make CERTAIN things easier. Photoshop CS3 isn't worth your time or your money, in my personal opinion.

To download brushes you should find brushes online that you like, save them all in a folder together, and then (I'm going off of memory here, don't have photoshop on this computer) you'll click the little arrow next to "brush" in the top right hand corner maybe? Anyway, look for "Load Brushes" then locate your folder and then click on whatever brush you'd like to load.

edit Okay, here are some tutorials I like:

Thank you Katsuu, I appreciate the Tutorials and the help. I had a feeling it had something to do with the layers and pixels of the brushes, just wasn't sure.

Offline Booker

«Reply #3: June 11, 2008, 06:46:58 PM»
first of all, do you use a mouse or a tablet? it'd be a lot easier to give help with information like that..
if you use a tablet, use pen pressure and vary you're line width, otherwise the lineart looks thick and blocky. to get nice, thin lines, things are usually done on a much bigger scale and then the artist shrinks down the lines, which also get rid of any small imperfections. like katsuu said, the lines aren't all black; i have photoshop elements 5 which i used to use, and i know that you can use the gradient tool to change line colors after you select them.

as for brushes they're like.. everywhere. just look. most sites will tell you exactly how to download them..

ps when you color don't use the smudge tool unless it's really subtle. smudging everything is not, in any way, subtle.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #4: June 11, 2008, 06:48:19 PM»
first of all, do you use a mouse or a tablet? it'd be a lot easier to give help with information like that..
if you use a tablet, use pen pressure and vary you're line width, otherwise the lineart looks thick and blocky. to get nice, thin lines, things are usually done on a much bigger scale and then the artist shrinks down the lines, which also get rid of any small imperfections. like katsuu said, the lines aren't all black; i have photoshop elements 5 which i used to use, and i know that you can use the gradient tool to change line colors after you select them.

as for brushes they're like.. everywhere. just look. most sites will tell you exactly how to download them..

ps when you color don't use the smudge tool unless it's really subtle. smudging everything is not, in any way, subtle.

Unfortunatley......I don't have a tablet. I can only wish. I used the Laptop pad on my Acer. ):

Offline Booker

«Reply #5: June 11, 2008, 06:54:08 PM»
it's ok~ there are still things for you to try, like doing everything on a large scale and then shrinking it to make nice, thin lines. it's possible to do varying line widths with a laptop pad, it's just a lot more time consuming. i've done it before with mine. and again, not all the lines have to be black. it's just something to try, if you're interested.

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #6: June 11, 2008, 07:17:05 PM»
I'm such a cheat. >) I found a way to shade in Photoshop.
SUP DAWG. WE HEARD YOU LIKE CARS SO WE PUT A CAR IN YO CAR SO YOU CAN DRIVE WHILE YOU DRIVE.

http://www.hazel-rah.webs.com

Offline Eevee

«Reply #7: June 11, 2008, 09:57:39 PM»
You can get a cheap tablet around $40-$70 from www.aiptek.com  That's where I got mine. Although you MIGHT have to update the tablet driver it comes with after installing it so pen pressure works in Photoshop 7. I had to do that to get it to work in Photoshop 7 and I've had my tablet since April of last year.

I recommend the 6x8inch tablets or whatever their measurements are as there's arm room to rest and hand move to draw.

Edit: Also, the org image you showed, my guess is the general canvas size was where the height was around 2500px and the DPI was around 300.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:01:59 PM by Mynt »

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #8: June 12, 2008, 04:28:18 AM»
it's ok~ there are still things for you to try, like doing everything on a large scale and then shrinking it to make nice, thin lines. it's possible to do varying line widths with a laptop pad, it's just a lot more time consuming. i've done it before with mine. and again, not all the lines have to be black. it's just something to try, if you're interested.

Sure thing, I need all the advice that I can get.

That's the annoying part about doing my artwork, It's time consuming and annoying using the pad which makes me slight lazy on certain parts. Gets me discouraged since Vista messes up the mouse's movments half of the time while i'm working, like some type of defect.

Offline Hathor

«Reply #9: June 12, 2008, 07:38:31 AM»
I find oC is lovely to do nice line art, it usually takes a tablet but people like Lintu on DA use a mouse, and their line art is gorgeous. Others use the pen tool on Photoshop, but I don't have much experience with that, so I'll just link this. 8D Another way; increase the size of the sketch until it's stupidly big, ink it, and then shrink the image to a nicer size before colouring, it'll make your line art look thinner.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #10: June 12, 2008, 12:35:10 PM»
I find oC is lovely to do nice line art, it usually takes a tablet but people like Lintu on DA use a mouse, and their line art is gorgeous. Others use the pen tool on Photoshop, but I don't have much experience with that, so I'll just link this. 8D Another way; increase the size of the sketch until it's stupidly big, ink it, and then shrink the image to a nicer size before colouring, it'll make your line art look thinner.

That's the exactsame tutorial I used to learn the pen Tool, what a coincidence lol!!

I found this one eaiser than the others people showed me.

anything