turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Descartes, Dreamweaving, and You.  (Read 557 times)

Offline Artspace

Descartes, Dreamweaving, and You.
«: June 28, 2008, 05:16:17 PM»
(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize in advance.)

Many people talk about the philosopher Rene Descartes and the relevance of his point of view today, yet when it comes to design, they still have yet to realize that what he taught also relates to that. When people play a game such as this, they accept whatever 'reality' they see surrounding their avatar (the isometric environment), and think they have to abide by that reality when they create their own custom graphics. In an effort to push for more creativity, I've been trying to say that, hey, this isn't true.

Through logical thinking, Descartes separated himself from the world he saw around him.  This is what made him so forward in his thinking. If you realize that you can do whatever you want despite any circumstances and implied rules there might exist around you, you can accomplish and build anything. This is true anywhere you go--no matter if it's the real or virtual world you're talking about.

The next time you create a dream or a patch for one, ask yourself--am I doing everything I can, am I utilizing my design skills as much as I can?  Push yourself to do something different.  Take your visitors to new places, and open their minds.

anything