turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Copyrighted Characters  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Katsura

Copyrighted Characters
«: July 01, 2008, 01:38:48 PM»
Hi all! :) I hope I'm posting this question in the right board.

I'm new to the port making business, and would like to start selling my work. But I was curious if anyone else knew; selling drawings of copyrighted characters like Cloud from FF7 is a no-no, right?

I don't know a lot about this kind of thing and am still learning.. so sorry if that was a nooby question! :P I've seen portraits of copyrighted characters being done before but I'm not sure if I could get sued for it.

Thank you!!! :D
The end is nearby, but you who have known love will be alright.

Offline Zim

Re: Copyrighted Characters
«Reply #1: July 02, 2008, 01:41:14 PM»
I believe it's fine as long as it's fully your own work, and not traced or anything. Selling traced copyrighted characters is a big no-no in the art community. P:

Offline Katsura

«Reply #2: July 04, 2008, 12:09:31 AM»
Oooo! 'course not. I despise tracing! :D

Thank you very much for the reply!!!  :-*

Offline Ashuri

«Reply #3: July 04, 2008, 06:26:03 PM»
I agree with Youlanda.  It is a very gray area and you could possibly get in a little trouble for it.

If it's your OWN created character or if someone is commissioning you to draw THEIR character, then that's a completely different story.  But, like said in the post above mine, you would be selling someone's own creation :/  I don't find it very fair.

Offline Katsura

«Reply #4: July 14, 2008, 01:35:51 AM»
I've decided not to do commissions of copyrighted characters like video game characters. I agree with Kit, it wouldn't make me feel right.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! :) I really appreciate it!  ;D