turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Bragging (Polling) Artists vs The Mature Artists.  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Sapphirus

I was noticing some times on Furcadia that an Artist has been polling others
comparing their art to other people, especially if they're asking mostly their friends which doesn't count if the polling was serious; asking "who's better".

The point is should a bragging artist be taken seriously as "a real artist", if they go
around saying their art is better than someone elses, for the popularity
and attention?

As my opinion, real artists shouldn't to brag negatively and make other artists look bad because of their misfortune of not getting commisioned enough or getting a lot of recognition like their Competitors.

What are your opinions for people like this?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:45:34 AM by Sapphirus »

Offline Ashuri

Re: The Bragging Artists vs The Mature ones.
«Reply #1: July 03, 2008, 10:40:32 AM»
Lol, Sapphy... I know who you're talking about xD

To be brutally honest, bragging artists piss me off to high hell.  Real artists are happy with what they can do but also are open about what others can do.  Having an open mind is what it's truly about and it helps us all learn and get better at our drawing skills.  Critiquing and being mean to the artist you're critiquing is out of line.  People can critique and still be a very nice and upfront person.

I think a lot of those messages get confused :/

Offline Mredria

«Reply #2: July 03, 2008, 10:53:14 AM»
I think that bragging has nothing to do with whether you're an artist or not. If you're an ass and want to brag to everyone and lord it over people, you're a jerk and you're not worth being around. The artist part is coincidental.

Whether you're a good artist or a bad artist or a mediocre artist, there's never any excuse to make others feel bad.
---I apologize---

Offline Ashuri

«Reply #3: July 03, 2008, 11:05:06 AM»
I think that bragging has nothing to do with whether you're an artist or not. If you're an ass and want to brag to everyone and lord it over people, you're a jerk and you're not worth being around. The artist part is coincidental.

Whether you're a good artist or a bad artist or a mediocre artist, there's never any excuse to make others feel bad.
Very true.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #4: July 03, 2008, 02:04:20 PM»

To be brutally honest, bragging artists piss me off to high hell.  Real artists are happy with what they can do but also are open about what others can do.  Having an open mind is what it's truly about and it helps us all learn and get better at our drawing skills.  Critiquing and being mean to the artist you're critiquing is out of line.  People can critique and still be a very nice and upfront person.

Yes, I know what you mean. I got commented by that "person" on my DA. She gave me a totally rude comment on my picture, and the same gave me constructive criticism, which I can't stand; Flames mixed with Constructive Criticism.

She had friends to flame me too, then it all came down to "OMG I'm better at art than you" clitche.

Offline Ashuri

«Reply #5: July 03, 2008, 03:07:38 PM»

Yes, I know what you mean. I got commented by that "person" on my DA. She gave me a totally rude comment on my picture, and the same gave me constructive criticism, which I can't stand; Flames mixed with Constructive Criticism.

She had friends to flame me too, then it all came down to "OMG I'm better at art than you" clitche.

Yeah... but constructive critcism is good but not in like a "rude" manner xD  People have to be careful what they say and try not to be offensive to the artist they want to help.  But if it's a remark that is making the situation as "they're better then you" then it's not even considered Constructive criticism anymore x-x

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #6: July 03, 2008, 03:11:23 PM»

Yeah... but constructive critcism is good but not in like a "rude" manner xD  People have to be careful what they say and try not to be offensive to the artist they want to help.  But if it's a remark that is making the situation as "they're better then you" then it's not even considered Constructive criticism anymore x-x

Agreed Fully <33

Offline Sync

«Reply #7: July 03, 2008, 03:33:34 PM»
sure, bragging artists are annoying, but the people who really piss me off are those who are like I SUCK I SUCK ILL NEVER BE GOOD UGH THIS LOOKS LIKE A TRAIN WRECK UGH IM SO HORRIBLE when they obviously have artistic talent.
sighh, criticizing yourself, fine, but don't bash.. yourself.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #8: July 03, 2008, 04:06:34 PM»
sure, bragging artists are annoying, but the people who really piss me off are those who are like I SUCK I SUCK ILL NEVER BE GOOD UGH THIS LOOKS LIKE A TRAIN WRECK UGH IM SO HORRIBLE when they obviously have artistic talent.

I just realized how annoying that is too. It's like a neverend self-critique. Those people need some better confidence and self-esteem.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #9: July 03, 2008, 04:15:16 PM»

I just realized how annoying that is too. It's like a neverend self-critique. Those people need some better confidence and self-esteem.

Actually from my experience, they bash themselves to get pity and pity-gifts and then whine and bitch some more when they don't get it.

Offline Azula

«Reply #10: July 03, 2008, 05:17:13 PM»
but some people actually think they really fucking suck because they hold themselves to a standard and look at other people's art and they have it set in their mind that they'll never achieve the same artistic abilities.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #11: July 03, 2008, 05:19:04 PM»
but some people actually think they really fucking suck because they hold themselves to a standard and look at other people's art and they have it set in their mind that they'll never achieve the same artistic abilities.
qfe!!

Offline lolo

«Reply #12: July 03, 2008, 05:35:37 PM»
i like to brag
to myself

because it is good to know your art ain't shit and selfencouragement is a goddamn good thing!
i know a lot of my pieces ain't up to par, but there's a lot of stuff I look at and am just like "fucking christ, at least i ain't on their level." or "oh shiiiitt ahahahhaaa i am so awesome~"
hell yeah self esteem
there's nothing wrong with a bit of "if i do say so m'self i am motherfuckin way better than that sad sappy sucker". but it pushes the limit when you're shoving it in their face in an awfully rude manner.
/2cent
Everyone had got something in hand cept natty dread

Sesruc

«Reply #13: July 03, 2008, 08:29:06 PM»
i have really high standards for myself
that's part of the reason why i've gotten this far in the realm of my two years of actual drawing
i've learned how to spot my own flaws

i don't bash myself, because that's stupid and my self-esteem isn't that low. i don't brag either because that'll only lead to people frowning down upon you. no one likes an artist sitting on high horses or anything.

whoever that does brag and post mean comments shouldn't be dealt with too seriously. just take everything with a grain of salt. frown, but don't respond viciously. if they're gunna be a bitch and post something gruesome, then let them.

Offline Ashuri

«Reply #14: July 03, 2008, 11:32:18 PM»

Ugh YES xD

Offline Ashuri

«Reply #15: July 03, 2008, 11:35:37 PM»
A lot of artists on Furcadia are insecure. Sometimes the insecurity shows by doing the bragging and flaunting things. Other times it shows by people insulting themselves as a way to fish for compliments. Other times it shows when artists get together and start having an art linking circle jerk. Sometimes it even shows when artists feel the need to shout too much about how confident they are with their art. (o.O I know, right.)

I wouldn't worry too much about this person. He/she is simply broadcasting their own insecurity on a massive level. If anything, take pity on them, just pat them on the head then smile and nod.

If they feel the need to insult you, simply don't fret. If you, yourself, are secure in  your art then some insecure douchebag insulting you should be meaningless--they're probably just jealous, not of your talent or your art, but because of your confidence.

And you can always mess with their heads if they keep bugging you. :p

Wow... that was beautifully said ._.  I agree 100% on your view.  And, it makes so much sense.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #16: July 04, 2008, 12:21:01 AM»
A lot of artists on Furcadia are insecure. Sometimes the insecurity shows by doing the bragging and flaunting things. Other times it shows by people insulting themselves as a way to fish for compliments. Other times it shows when artists get together and start having an art linking circle jerk. Sometimes it even shows when artists feel the need to shout too much about how confident they are with their art. (o.O I know, right.)

I wouldn't worry too much about this person. He/she is simply broadcasting their own insecurity on a massive level. If anything, take pity on them, just pat them on the head then smile and nod.

If they feel the need to insult you, simply don't fret. If you, yourself, are secure in  your art then some insecure douchebag insulting you should be meaningless--they're probably just jealous, not of your talent or your art, but because of your confidence.

And you can always mess with their heads if they keep bugging you. :p

Wow... that was beautifully said ._.  I agree 100% on your view.  And, it makes so much sense.

I second that <3

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #17: July 05, 2008, 12:25:47 PM»

Actually from my experience, they bash themselves to get pity and pity-gifts and then whine and bitch some more when they don't get it.

Wow, I never knew about the pity-gift thing. No wonder those idiots whine about it constantly.

Offline happyknot

Re: The Bragging (Polling) Artists vs The Mature Artists.
«Reply #18: August 24, 2008, 05:54:23 AM»
Quote from: Sapphirus
I was noticing some times on Furcadia that an Artist has been comparing their art to other people

Comparing your own art to art done by other artists is a natural way to gauge how far you've developed. This is especially true if you are comparing your art to the art of someone you admire. It can be positive because the other artists work could "set the bar" for you, help encourage you to better your own skill. However it can also become negative when you become obsessive or overly competitive. People who are insecure sometimes don't seem to be able to recognise when their behavior is only hurting themselves. Moderation is all things is necessary.

asking mostly their friends "who's better".doesn't count if the polling was serious.

Not all friends present biased answers and not all strangers provide unbiased answers and sometimes the person providing votes on a pole have more than one alt and is voting multiple times! Based on that, I feel a friend's opinion is certainly valid.

The point is should a bragging artist be taken seriously as "a real artist", if they go around saying their art is better than someone elses, for the popularity and attention?

If someone is so insecure that they feel that have to declare they are better than anyone who is supposedly less talented, they are definately insecure. Chances are they are desperately seeking reassurance but in a negative way. They're probably trapped in a very ugly way of thinking and it will take time, soul searching and growing up to get out of that.
Sometimes they never change.

But to your first question - whether they're rude or not doesn't change their level of skill. You can be a total dick and still have remarkable artistic talent. The only example of someone who isn't a "real artist" I can think of is someone who posts someone else's art and claims they did it.

As my opinion, real artists shouldn't to brag negatively

Bragging is when someone makes their achievments seem better or more important than they are. I don't think there is such a thing as bragging positively!

make other artists look bad because of their misfortune of not getting commisioned enough or getting a lot of recognition like their Competitors.

Making fun of another artist for having a slow start is definately unprofessional. However the other artist if they hear of it, and that artist's supporters can then use that as encouragement to market themselves more confidently and assertively. No sense in hiding and feeling sorry for yourself.

Ultimately it is up to the "other artist" to find their confidence and to struggle on - to prove their worth.
You can't lay down and let meaner people walk all over you.
My DA Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott

Offline Skink

«Reply #19: September 03, 2008, 10:28:04 AM»
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/43/LOLFRIENDS.PNG

And an edit to add to the actual "in-depth" part.

Bragging is annoying. Not that every artist has never done this. I'm sure every artist who has posted in this thread has done it in an inappropriate way or undesirable manner. Human nature k, we flaunt our hefty packages even if it's really a sock. However the term "artist" is up to personal definition. For the most part, you are one if you call yourself one, since you know, artists are creative and stuff. They can make up things. Even their own kinds and ways of art. It's how people get so famous by making larger then life statues out of soda cans, or pee the mona lisa in the snow. If the conceptual definiton of of art is up for debate, so is "artist." So they should be taken seriously as a real artist just as much as a mature one. Just as much as they should be taken seriously as annoying.

Of course it's not a "misfortune" if people don't get enough commissions. They are not at the level of artistic skill or popularity that people will willingly to pay them to draw. You can get that WITH OUT doing art that's paid for. If that's not working, stop worrying about $$$ and worry about skill. I'm speaking from experience here. If you are not good enough for their tastes. people will not pay you to draw for them. And they don't want to pay for art they don't want just to pity your "misfortunes" in the getting commissions area. The artists that actually do get commissions and do well have earned the right to brag, imho.

Not that it makes it any less obnoxious when they're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:24:35 AM by Paint »

Offline Azula

«Reply #20: September 18, 2008, 07:29:35 AM»

off-topic but i love how they didn't post my whispers because it didn't favor on experience's side. :)

here i would love to share.

[Session created on Tue Jul 01 17:09:01 2008]
[f] Added Experience to the session.
[f] Experience is online.
Experience: Do you think my art is better than Sapph's?
Worm: do you think i want you whispering me out of fucking nowhere?
Experience: she said my art sucks
Experience: so im getting everyone to say
Worm: i don't care..
Experience: her art is shit
Experience: so she can fucking drop out of school
Experience: and live on the fucking street
Experience: like she should
Worm: ARE YOU SERIOUS
Worm: I JUST SAID
Worm: I DON'T CARE
Experience: THEN FUCKING IGNORE
Experience: ME
Worm: shouldn't you be in yhs.. oh wait.....
Experience: banned
Experience: lol
Experience: kek's a bitch
Worm: you want my opinion?
Experience: i suck equally, dont i?
Worm: i think both sides are pretty shitty. yes.
Experience: alright.
Experience: thank you for your honest opinion.

okay you can go back to being on topic now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:32:06 AM by Taylor »

Offline Lord

«Reply #21: September 18, 2008, 05:40:27 PM»

off-topic but i love how they didn't post my whispers because it didn't favor on experience's side. :)

lol'd..

i'm betting that the only people that they posted are the ones that said 'yes', but theres tons more that said what tina did or favored sapph's.

the whole "IS MY ART BETTER THAN SO-AND-SO'S" is stupid. you're insecure so you have to get other people, mainly friends that will say yours is better even if it ISNT, to say "omg no you rock way better!!!!"

really, people? really?

if someone said MY art was shit, i wouldnt care. people have oppinions and they're free to express them.

Offline Glory

«Reply #22: September 20, 2008, 12:35:34 AM»
This may be off topic but slightly on topic with the second mentioned thing...

I totally used to (and still do... though more secretly) bash my art like crazy. I really truely believe my art is suckish, and this fuels me to want and improve. It is the way I work.
I figured out though awhile ago that doing this was probably annoying the shiz out of my friends, they are just not telling me... so I tried stopping and when I presented art, I'd leave out my usual self hating comments.
Now it sounds like I am gloating. Which is not like me and is horrible, because remember, I think I am still not good enough for even a mild gloating.

So yeah... some of us self-hate because if we don't, we totally sound like braggers. Which is personally probably more annoying, plus hurtful because it makes the others feel bad if you 'gloat'.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #23: September 21, 2008, 11:29:33 PM»

lol'd..

i'm betting that the only people that they posted are the ones that said 'yes', but theres tons more that said what tina did or favored sapph's.

the whole "IS MY ART BETTER THAN SO-AND-SO'S" is stupid. you're insecure so you have to get other people, mainly friends that will say yours is better even if it ISNT, to say "omg no you rock way better!!!!"

really, people? really?

if someone said MY art was shit, i wouldnt care. people have oppinions and they're free to express them.

Wow, that whole log made me lol....
She's really asking everyone, that's just a time waster...., I'd never go around comparing/asking/polling my art being the best/worst than another person.

Offline Skink

«Reply #24: September 22, 2008, 02:35:24 AM»
Despite the various replies, she's only doing it because you said your art was better then hers.  ;)