turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price My Art, Would Ya?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline D0m

Price My Art, Would Ya?
«: July 06, 2008, 04:56:29 PM»
Hey, guys. If you've seen my '5 dollar wicked commissions' thread already, just hold on for a sec before you take off running.

PRICING

I charge 5 dollars for anything. I can't stand leaving a sketch uncolored, so that's out of the question. The catgirl (last drawing) is pretty much the lowest-level of work I'd send out. I threw in a couple sketches after that.

Charging 5 dollars has been getting me a lot of commissions. I assume it's because this stuff is worth about 10, but I'd like your opinion. The first three were done for free, because I wanted to try my hand at making these.

TIME

The most amount of time I'll spend on a commission is about 4 hours. On average, the person has their art piece back in 2.5.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:13:58 PM by D0m »
http://www.siredwards.webs.com <---My Gallery! PM me for a commission ;)

Offline Mira

Re: Price My Art, Would Ya?
«Reply #1: July 06, 2008, 05:12:40 PM»
You certainly do have the skill to be charging $10 and still get a good flow of commissions, maybe even higher. I was very pleased to find it when it's $5, I'll say that much. You're a good catch. xD

Offline Kratos

«Reply #2: July 06, 2008, 05:13:59 PM»
honestly, if you keep up with the quality of the first few pieces, then yes, i think $10'd be fine..
but really, it depends.
you could get 5 $10 commissions and get $50, or you could get 10 $5 commissions and get $50.
$5 appeals to the masses more so you'd probably get more business, but $10 is also affordable.
it depends, but i think you could charge $10 if the quality's kept up and you want to have a go at it.

Offline D0m

«Reply #3: July 06, 2008, 05:15:54 PM»
Thanks a whole lot for the input, guys.
http://www.siredwards.webs.com <---My Gallery! PM me for a commission ;)

Offline sarragh

«Reply #4: July 06, 2008, 05:22:47 PM»
very unique. Lovely.

Offline The Pointed Hat

«Reply #5: July 06, 2008, 05:48:28 PM»
If a company hired you to make custom graphics for their website, you'd make somewhere between $10 - $12 an hour out here in California.  If your pieces included detailed backgrounds, customization items (like adding the character's name, or adding other characters into the portrait) or were presented as bio sheets, with multi-angle views and close-ups of hands and other distinguishing features, you could easily charge $20 per piece.

Given that these portraits are bust shots and don't include detailed backgrounds, I'd say $10 per portrait is a fair price.

Sesruc

«Reply #6: July 06, 2008, 08:52:28 PM»
i think $10 is fine really

like someone already mentioned, $5 commissions will get you more commissioners in general

i like your males a whole lot, i could honestly never pull it off

but the drawings you have up here are rather expressionless (in other words, they all seem to have the same feelings. some of them do have variations though. ex. one is smiling and another isn't.. but still). i can't really find the right words to say this.. but different expressions that go with someone's character design/personality might spice up your art a little more than it already is

Offline La-la

«Reply #7: July 06, 2008, 09:04:27 PM»
$7-$10

Offline Howling Voice

«Reply #8: July 07, 2008, 10:56:08 AM»
I'm ageed wut $5 -$10. If you were to neaten your stuff, like make clear likes, add depth to the colouring and smooth that too and maybe add some BGS, simple or otherwise you could charge even more~

Offline Arley

«Reply #9: July 09, 2008, 10:28:48 AM»
xD The emo dudes' pose looks like he's doing Alex Evans' pos :B I say $10

Offline Lord

«Reply #10: July 09, 2008, 03:07:28 PM»
i do love your work, and i hope to comission you some day, but i'm not crazy about your females. their facial structure makes them seem a little.. masculine, i'd say. i'm not sure how to help fem 'em up, though, very sorry ;;

but, anyways, $10 does seem very fair for your work.

Sesruc

«Reply #11: July 09, 2008, 04:08:21 PM»
as a follow up to julie's comment:

i think that in order to make your frontview females seem more feminine, you could make the chin pointier and much more angled than round.

anything