turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Need crit on ports.  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Dil

Need crit on ports.
«: January 16, 2008, 06:25:25 PM»
I've had quite a few people tell me my ports aren't worth 10 gd.. and I've seen ports sell for 40 gd easily, and even one for 85 gd.
So, I'm asking for critique. What do you like about them? Hate? Any points I should improve on?
How much do you think I should price commissions at? Is 10 gd really too much?

Keep in mind I'm a feral artist, but I did attempt an anthro. I had a lot of help on anatomy, so I mostly only need comments on shading for that one. I probably won't be doing anthro again.

Offline Mala

Re: Need crit on ports.
«Reply #1: January 16, 2008, 07:45:07 PM»
I would say 10-15 GD for these ports, the shading and detail is lovely, and you have great anatomy.

And where did you see a port sell for 85GD? 0:

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: January 16, 2008, 08:21:54 PM»
the shading is gorgeous, however, the anatomy just isn't there.

i'd pay like, 5 - 7 gd.

Sesruc

«Reply #3: January 16, 2008, 08:56:27 PM»
The anatomy isn't bad nor is it awesome.
And I respect that, really. All I can suggest at the moment is practice.

10 GD is a very fair price and maybe undercharging a little.

And on the note about 40 GD and 85 GD ports selling quite easily? Those things must be pretty damn good then if they sell. I'd like to see who's doing them, just out of curiosity. xD

Offline Dil

«Reply #4: January 16, 2008, 09:17:17 PM»
And where did you see a port sell for 85GD? 0:

I believe it was an auction on dA. By miss-mel.

That doesn't help me one bit. I need specifics. Is the muzzle too long? Head too far up? Things like that.

I need to know how to improve my anatomy, what exactly I'm doing wrong, etc. :/

And on the note about 40 GD and 85 GD ports selling quite easily? Those things must be pretty damn good then if they sell. I'd like to see who's doing them, just out of curiosity. xD

I don't remember the exact names, but I saw some feral ones on dA that sold for $30-40. They were all basically the same pose too.. I didn't really see anything special about them. Probably a popular artist.

Offline Sync

«Reply #5: January 16, 2008, 09:33:04 PM»

That doesn't help me one bit. I need specifics. Is the muzzle too long? Head too far up? Things like that.

I need to know how to improve my anatomy, what exactly I'm doing wrong, etc. :/

don't get snippy now.

anyway, the fourth port the beak on the.. griffon i guess is tilted too high(i know that the head is tilted up, but if you made the head horizontal, it wouldn't line up properly)
and the wing in the background i believe wouldn't be that far out(meaning, you'd actually see where it attaches to the creature in that picture)

i'm not a master at muzzles but the first port is a bit off in it. the lower jaw is smaller than the top jaw, and i don't think the lower jaw would be showing all that much with the head that low.

the third one, the neck seems slightly too thick.

the fifth one just seems flat overall. all the vertical distances just seem off.

Offline Sync

«Reply #6: January 16, 2008, 11:48:20 PM»
ohyes, i did find said 85 dollar port! 8D
-offtopic-

http://miss-mel.deviantart.com/art/AUCTIONING-PORT-OVER-32776160

Sesruc

«Reply #7: January 17, 2008, 04:49:28 PM»
Haha.
Miss-mel port.
You can't really blame her for being ridiculous or overcharging about the price anyways.
It was an auction. xD

And yeah.
But.
Seriously, I wouldn't pay over $20 for a 95x95 piece of art that's to be stuck in a pixel roleplay game. $25 is pushing it for me. Though everything is up to the buyer. If you believe that Furcadia is valuable enough to bother paying money for, then be my guest. And seriously, I'm not complaining about the high prices or what not. Because well. There is good port art out there that's pretty much worth more than $20.

Offline Glory

«Reply #8: January 25, 2008, 12:26:19 PM»
I wouldnt even care what they say. Its you who have to spend your day doing the portraits of their characters, when you could be drawing your self one or otherwise be hanging out with friends, fmaily, ect.
As long as its not something like 50 GD for a stick figure, you really cant overprice since its your time :>

Vincent

«Reply #9: January 25, 2008, 06:37:32 PM»
I really like your portraits. They're worth the 10 GD, like Snake said.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #10: January 26, 2008, 03:21:43 PM»
i LOVE the anthro port you did, actually.
i wish you'd continue, i'd definitely commission you for an anthro port.
i think 10gd is fair.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #11: January 26, 2008, 04:40:55 PM»
My only crit is, don't over-detail. If the port is too busy it's really hard to make out the actual character and anatomy. I am not overly fond of some artists myself because they make their ports too busy to a point where my eye gets drawn everywhere. That's why I like it when you enhance the strong point of the port so the attention gets drawn there.

My 'keyrule' is always to draw in such a way that, at first glance, my attention gets drawn directly to a specific part of my drawing. As an example, I do this by making the lines thicker for the face and thinner for the surrounding hair. It draws the eye to the face and its shape and then to the surrounding areas.

You can achieve the same effects with eyes. Think Chibi's and their big eyes.

In busy ports, the eye gets drawn to everywhere in the picture which can be disorientating and cover up the beautiful details you put in it. I hope this makes sense. There are people who like busy ports, but there are just as many that dislike them, if not more.

So... this might not be a crit, but more of a tip.

Your ports are worth the 10GD I'm sure, especially if they're remap. But despite the attention you spent on the details for fur and shading (on the ferals) you might want to practice a bit more on the anatomy if you're wanting to ask more.
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Adeana

«Reply #12: January 29, 2008, 12:26:33 AM»
I think your portraits are definitely worth 10 GD. I love your style.. and your detail is really quite unique and refreshing. Not everything needs to fit into a cookie cutter idea of how Furcadia portraits should look :> And as a portrait artist who sells her portraits for 30 $ I have to say.. that I can sell my portraits for 30-60 because of how long I have been around. If you have a demand for your artwork.. you can charge anything people are willing to pay.

I hope you don't feel discouraged because someone doesn't want to pay 10 GD for your art. Honestly.. we are lucky we get to make any money at all! The world is full of critics.. You'll go far :D

cheers,
Adeana

http://eisplanet04.deviantart.com

Offline Dil

«Reply #13: January 29, 2008, 09:54:00 PM»
So many responses. @[email protected] I can't reply to all of them, sorry!

The only reason I could even do the furry port was because of a LOT of help from others, plus a lot of redrawing, repositioning, etc. It took me ages, and I'm already starting to hate the port. Unless someone else does the lineart/sketch and I shade, there won't be any more furry/anthro ports from me. That thing took forever.

Shading takes no time at all for me. It's just.. my drawing/anatomy skills simply aren't there. Lack of a tablet doesn't help either. I can only draw from memory if it's a pose similar to one I've done before. And frankly, canines have never been my strong point. Everyone on here is all about canines, more-so than felines. Bahh.

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #14: January 29, 2008, 10:21:03 PM»
I really actually LOVE the first portrait. I think it is gorgeous.

The last two are a little bit iffy, since I don't do a whole lot of birds I don't think I could really give you an accurate crit on it, but it doesn't look quite... right, you know what I mean? The only thing I can suggest is heavily ref or do more bird study.

As for the last one, I think the shading is great, but the muzzle is a bit too long and narrow, and the forehead is far too verticle, it should be much smaller and slanted and flow straight into the dome of the skull.

I think your portraits are definately worth ten GD, and you shouldn't get discouraged because you will improve ALOT. I find I improve more and more with each portrait I do, and I've been doing portraits for over a year now. I actually prefer to keep my portraits pretty cheap, so when I upped it to 10 GD (Had been doing them for 5 for a LONG time) I still promised to have 5 GD sales once in a while. I know I could probably ask more for my portraits, but I actually don't do portraits for the sole purpose of making money, I do it for fun. I think anyone who DOES do it only for the money is getting in way over their heads.

Sorry this is tl;dr but BASICALLY. Your ports are pretty good and I think you have alot of potential to become a popular artist.

Offline Dil

«Reply #15: January 29, 2008, 10:56:35 PM»
I can't see myself as a popular artist. I'm used to my art just going unnoticed. I'm surprised people even look at it, on here.
I know what you mean by improving a lot, though. It's odd how even though I rarely draw, the improvement in each piece is easily noticeable (more-so in my nonport art.) Like I said, canines are definitely not my strong point, yet I remember a year or so ago struggling to draw something that even resembles a muzzle, haha.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #16: January 31, 2008, 09:29:32 AM»
Improving is understanding how things work, not copying or drawing from memory. :) That's probably why you're 'stuck'.

You definitely have the talent, so don't discourage yourself. (And quite frankly, being popular really sucks. Instead try to be known, not crazed about, so you don't get swamped with stuff all the time. ^^)

You can do it. :) I'm sure of it.
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Dil

«Reply #17: February 04, 2008, 09:28:01 PM»
Mm, yes, I see all your points! Thanks. :) And that fifth one was actually the first port I ever did.