turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [DONE] Free/Extremely cheap art thread?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Anarchy

[DONE] Free/Extremely cheap art thread?
«: July 14, 2008, 03:19:27 AM»
I've noticed there are alot of budding artists who start out very cheap (1-3 GDS) and free, which is great, but it can be annoying when you are looking to get serious commissions and your thread constantly gets bumped down by people requesting free art or portraits.

I was thinking maybe there should be a separate board for artwork that is free and/or extremely cheap? So people looking for super cheap/free artwork can just go there and more expensive/serious artists don't constantly have to bump their thread out of a sea of free art threads.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:04:28 PM by Narnia »

Sesruc

Re: Free/Extremely cheap art thread?
«Reply #1: July 14, 2008, 09:56:22 AM»
haha, yeah.
it's annoying when people who do free art keep getting their threads bumped over and over again

even when barely any art is coming out of it in the first place....

a free art thread is a very good idea. i support it 100%

but i don't think we should incorporate "cheap art" into it. i mean.. some really really good artist can be charging like $15 rather than their usual $40. would you consider that cheap? you can get really crappy art for 1 GD also. so we all have our own definitions of cheap and whatnot. it wouldn't seem right to make a cheap art thread in the end. the regular thread we have is ok. it also wouldn't be right if we had a cheap art thread and not an "expensive" art thread.

i don't make sense but meh
i tried lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:58:48 AM by Sesruc »

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #2: July 14, 2008, 05:54:38 PM»
Yeah, but there are already so many free/super cheap art threads I don't see what difference it would make to have a whole board dedicated to it other than making things more convenient for everyone.

Offline Mala

«Reply #3: July 14, 2008, 05:57:44 PM»
i agree on the free art thread.
IDK about mixing it with cheap art though.
sometimes artists have sales with really cheap art, and they wouldn't want to make another board for it?

Offline Azula

«Reply #4: July 14, 2008, 07:30:26 PM»
having sales and setting commission prices to very low are two totally different things. i don't see why they couldn't temporarily change their thread.

a cheap board, imo, is going to attract a lot of people because of the "cheap" title.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #5: July 14, 2008, 11:19:09 PM»
All in all this would just split the boards up too much, imo. Personally, the way it is for right now, I find to be best. But, we will consider the idea of somehow dividig things.

Offline Zim

«Reply #6: July 14, 2008, 11:33:28 PM»
I do like this idea, but as Turq said, it'd be splitting up the boards too much.

I would love to see a way where you could easily find an artist in your price range, though. <:

Offline Azula

«Reply #7: July 14, 2008, 11:35:46 PM»
couldn't you just like... add sub-boards or wtfever to the portrait commissions board?

when you look at the board, it's really cluttered and it's hard to look for a artist that isn't charging <6gd so they can practice.

Mask

«Reply #8: July 15, 2008, 03:10:41 AM»
I think if you were going to split it there should only be two - free portraits, from requests or whatever, and then portraits that cost something.

Splitting it up more than that would just be irritating.

Offline Azula

«Reply #9: July 15, 2008, 03:18:58 AM»
OKAY HERE IT BE.

i was trying to look for port artist i never got a port from, and obviously i went to port art to look for advertising artists, and all i got were threads for free ports every other topic, being bumped up by people wanting them. i find it kind of annoying and feel that it's taking away commissions from serious artists and giving them to the ones that want to make a quick buck or just want to practice. it would really look a lot cleaner, too.

and as rhia said, any more than two would be irritating. perhaps not a child board, but a parent board for free/cheap art (cheap art being 5 USD/GD and under) with children boards that contain requests and then offering? idk it's just a suggestion gosh.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #10: July 20, 2008, 09:40:46 PM»
I think splitting it into "Freebies and Requests" might work out fair enough. Of course, each of the different kinds of arts would need these categories.

I don't think I would be putting a Freebies one under any of the Seeking Artwork boards though..

Sesruc

«Reply #11: July 21, 2008, 08:04:55 AM»
that's good, turq

anything else is too much

Offline sarragh

«Reply #12: July 21, 2008, 08:42:10 AM»
I personally think if someone actually wants decent artwork, and wants to pay for this artwork, they're GOING to spend some time looking for the right artist and price range.

I do think the "Freebies and Requests" is a good idea. Not "cheap art", though. La and I feel a lot of really good artists will be overlooked because they have lower prices, and under "cheap art" they may be bypassed.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:43:56 AM by Cletus »

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #13: July 21, 2008, 09:48:16 AM»
I think it's a great idea for those who can't really afford ports and art, but like others said, I don't think it should be mixed with very cheap art.

Offline La-la

«Reply #14: July 21, 2008, 09:48:33 AM»
I think it's a great idea for those who can't really afford ports and art, but like others said, I don't think it should be mixed with very cheap art.

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #15: July 21, 2008, 12:52:56 PM»
I'm just saying 'cheap' art because it seems now days fewer budding artists are doing free portraits and opting to go right to 1-3 gds. Back in the day when you started out, you did free art for a while to gain some experience, it didn't matter how good you were.

Offline Sync

«Reply #16: July 22, 2008, 07:10:34 PM»
BACK IN THE DAY WE DIDNT HAVE THESE NEW FANGLED COMPUTER MACHINES................ .

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #17: July 22, 2008, 07:29:37 PM»
yeap... thems the days i'ma talkin' bout.

Offline La-la

«Reply #18: July 22, 2008, 07:30:22 PM»
GEE OFF MAH THREAD YOU DAYUMN HOODLUMS

Offline Mala

«Reply #19: July 22, 2008, 07:44:57 PM»
git off mah lawn!

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #20: July 22, 2008, 11:11:53 PM»
STAY ON TOPIC WHIPPERSANPPERS, A'FORE I GIT MAH SHOTGYUN.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #21: July 23, 2008, 01:22:47 PM»
while i do agree with the budding artist thing and am also annoyed with it, i feel that separating people like that is unnecessary and may be more annoying to navigate.

in regards to the free port and 1-3gd thing that anarchy said, why not have a "tips" area or something for budding artists, and that can be mentioned?
like, instead of skipping right to charging, you should get experence and examples by making a few free ports first..
and you should get opinions in the gallery.. etc.
there can be a whole bunch of stuff in there that could be really helpful.

.. and i feel like im hijacking this thread whoops.
but it kind of relates e_e

anyway, i think a free art + requests thing would be nice.

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #22: July 23, 2008, 01:56:06 PM»

in regards to the free port and 1-3gd thing that anarchy said, why not have a "tips" area or something for budding artists, and that can be mentioned?
like, instead of skipping right to charging, you should get experence and examples by making a few free ports first..
and you should get opinions in the gallery.. etc.
there can be a whole bunch of stuff in there that could be really helpful.
anyway, i think a free art + requests thing would be nice.

That's a good idea, I just think new artists automatically assume 'well 1 gd is not much and my art is definately worth at least that, and I can make some money at the same time' but what they don't get is that, starting out free and just doing a bunch of free ports, building up a reputation, getting more practiced with portraits and dealing with actual 'customers' is much more valuble than those few gds they will make. Even if you start out pretty good at portraits, I think I did, doing free ones until there is more demand for your art is a really good idea.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #23: July 23, 2008, 04:37:48 PM»
exactly, throwing yourself out there with a few free slots instead of cheap stuff is best because it gets your name and art out there, and it earns you experience along with examples.
i think that a tips section may remedy the problem a bit, and anyone thats seen charging when they maybe shouldnt could be politely linked to that area for some help.
i know people post in the gallery for help on shading, lineart, programs, etc too, so maybe the gallery can be left alone for criticisms and questions (how much should i charge etc), and a new tips section can be for things like shading, lines, etc.
ok no more hijacking i promise.

ill probably make a separate thread or something when my head stops hurting lol

Offline Glory

«Reply #24: July 24, 2008, 11:58:54 PM»
Kind of off topic of the original idea, but I too did start out doing art for free.
IT WAS AWFUL I ASSURE YOU. I ended up getting whiney friends and strangers way back years ago who made me edit this one part of lineart 20 times then liked the original they found out.
It was the best introduction to commission and art making if I ever saw one, and there was the fallback that I was doing this for free and could change my mind if I found out I didn't have the mentallity for request/commission taking. I ended up loving it though </random memory flashback>

Really its probably pointless to mention it now, but I agree it should be divided into Requests/freebies and the normal area which requires you to pay even if only a little.