turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crit my first animation?  (Read 790 times)

Offline Sheepdust

Crit my first animation?
«: July 20, 2008, 12:48:46 PM»
Tried out animating something for once, keep in mind I have no experience whatsoever in that area. XD

Not so bad if you ask me. 'pl00shy' was my neopets name, where I was mostly active the last month, but they recently froze me. I was gonna use this as a special adoptable of sorts, but noooo~. Dx

Offline Morgan

Re: Crit my first animation?
«Reply #1: July 20, 2008, 01:02:51 PM»
i think the head bobs too much and the back markings not moving looks sort of weird.

Offline Zim

«Reply #2: July 20, 2008, 03:11:41 PM»
The tail is a little bit too jerky. For a more natural-looking movement, it should have more follow-through, so it looks organic and not mechanic. The same for the ears; they look way too mechanic in their movements. Try softening them up by moving away from static straight up and down movement.

The paws don't look like they have any weight being distributed on them... Like he's walking on air.

I also agree with Morgan; too much head bobbing. When a canine walks, the head usually only goes that low that often if it's limping. That's what my first thought was when I saw it. Also agreeing with the back marking; it should be following the body.

I've never animated a canine before, so that's about the extent I can help... but I can recommend you take a look at some videos of dogs to see how they walk. Reference is very important when working with animation. Heck, it took a huge handful of videos just for me to figure out a proper human walk cycle for my animation class. P:

Offline Lord

«Reply #3: July 20, 2008, 08:56:01 PM»
the head bobs too much, like morgan and zim said, so just try to make it a little less subtle and smoother

also, the shoulder moving up and down doesn't look like it lines up with the rest of the leg

though i must say, this is pretty good for a first animation

Offline Hugo

«Reply #4: July 21, 2008, 12:25:22 AM»
Holy shit this is amazing for a first go. But yes, it does walk like a crow or an injured dog. Try not to move the tail so much. Maybe have it hanging down and swaying a bit with the steps.