turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Major critique needed. EDIT: added new portrait lineart, needs refining  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Lancelot

I need critique on that portrait. Constructive critism only. And if there's anything you particularly like point it out for me please. Shading crit is good as well as lineart.

Redlines are good if you want.

And how much would you pay for something of this quality?

thankyou  :)

*******EDIT******

I made a new portrait, but i'd like to perfect the lineart before i start to color. I actually like it, but is there anything that i should change about it? And how should i change it?

I went ahead and colored it. Is there anything wrong i did about the shading?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:09:15 PM by ducky »

Offline bowlegged

Re: Major critique needed.
«Reply #1: July 31, 2008, 10:00:14 AM»
-points fingers- The wolf's fur looks saggy, and too wide. If you look at other wolf's you'd probably get my idea. The nose/mouth isn't placed correctly, it seems wrong to me. Uhhhh, I think thaz all i got to say F:

Offline Casper

«Reply #2: August 01, 2008, 12:22:41 PM»
Actually, this is a pretty nice port. The fur does look different, but not in a bad way; it almost looks soft.

The muzzle anatomy could use a bit of work but the best way to improve upon that is to just reference. Keywording "wolf" on Google images will procure pages and pages of wolves at different angles.

My only nitpick would be the colouring; it's very good, but where's the light source? Without some indication of one there's no shading or highlights, which leaves the image looking flatter than it should. Pick a direction the light will come from and it'll make a world of difference.

Other than that I quite like the fur. He's fruffy. :}
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:24:41 PM by Casper »

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #3: August 02, 2008, 05:51:01 PM»
I actually did look at a few photos to get the muzzle anatomy right, so could you explain a bit? I'll try to work on that.

And for the fur, the wolf I referenced for that did have quite long fur.

Also I got so irritated with making the fur I skipped having a lightsource.. so I guess it's just coming straight on pretty much. I'll try to do that next time (:

could someone also please tell me how much it is worth at this point?

Offline La-la

«Reply #4: August 03, 2008, 09:42:10 AM»
right now, it looks to me like he's been caught in a huge rainstorm. his fur looks saggy, his eyes are misplaced, and it doesn't look like actual shading to me. i don't think you're ready to begin selling, personally. keep working on them, you'll improve quicker than you think, and then be ready to start charging.

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #5: August 03, 2008, 04:00:01 PM»
the saggyness is actually just part of the character.

and if you look closely (since its white you cant see it that well) i drew all the fur how its supposed to look like on the different parts of the face. dont know if it came out well, but it IS there. how can i improve?

and where should the eyes be?

thanks

Offline La-la

«Reply #6: August 03, 2008, 04:12:33 PM»
again, it just looks like scribbles to me. there should be definition in the face, the fur all going one way, or something to define it, instead of just, what seems to me, scribbling. it doesn't really look shaded to me. here's a couple of wolf head shots from my favourite port artists.

see the lines and definition?

the shading and lines don't cover every inch of the face. there are defined spots for shading according to a light source. even being white, there's detail, and definition.

again, the muscles in the face are defined well, the light source is apparent.

notice how all the fur, even on the faces, goes one way? also look at the way they do fur, how they bring it to a point without making it look wet, or shaggy. it makes it look natural and soft. there should be defined lines. what reference did you use for this picture? if you didn't use one, you should, especially just starting out, it would help you place everything, the mouth, eyes, etc. would you like it redlined?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:14:46 PM by La-la »

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #7: August 03, 2008, 04:39:25 PM»

lightly referenced on this picture. I made the face looking more straight forward in my port though.

I'm not very good at shading but i did try to draw the fur the way it was going in various picture of wolves.

and yes, i'd love it redlined. thanks :]

Jacki-Tomodachi

«Reply #8: August 03, 2008, 05:09:54 PM»
i tried to do a redline, but please be nice XD I myself, have never done a head on port, only side views, but i have drawn traditionally head on pictures. I did my best and i thought the muzzle could be brought in a bit, widened, and add the lower jaw just a bit.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:21:16 PM by Jacki~ »

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #9: August 03, 2008, 10:00:01 PM»
thanks for the redline, appreciate it.

the muzzle is positioned better, thanks, but i think widening it takes away from the character and expression, idk

Offline La-la

«Reply #10: August 03, 2008, 10:06:02 PM»
i'll get cletus to redline it tomorrow then, shes really good with ferals, and i'll see if she'll whip up a quick thing on fur or something for you.

Offline jaiex

«Reply #11: August 04, 2008, 12:41:26 AM»
Sorry for being off-topic, but LaLa, who did that first port you posted? It's beautiful.

Offline Glory

«Reply #12: August 04, 2008, 01:11:11 AM»
Sorry for being off-topic, but LaLa, who did that first port you posted? It's beautiful.
Alexandra made it.
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=profile;u=992 is her profile. Well I think if I am looking at the one you meant.

Offline La-la

«Reply #13: August 04, 2008, 09:52:29 AM»
I really should give cred to the great artists. Alexandra, Tooth, Anarchy, Kitten, Lu, Cletus,

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #14: August 04, 2008, 01:54:30 PM»
i'll get cletus to redline it tomorrow then, shes really good with ferals, and i'll see if she'll whip up a quick thing on fur or something for you.

anything