turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique: Character Art vs Furcadia Ports  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Ukai

Critique: Character Art vs Furcadia Ports
«: January 20, 2008, 03:37:08 PM»
I'm not relatively new to the port business, however, my CG works has drastically improved since I've started pixeling which was really only a year ago. I had at first been doing them free until people started telling me I should sell things. But I have a huge issue, I'm an extreme perfectionist, and my hand work is considerablely a great deal more detailed and well better than my pixel work. I can never get my sketches to come out the same way after doing a port. More strongest points are posture and anatomy.

As seen here in these ports:
http://i32.tinypic.com/mtzq1.jpg

And here in my hand-work art:
http://ukai.deviantart.com/art/To-the-North-73703076
http://pale-lotus.deviantart.com/art/Facial-study-67970605

And my CG character art:
http://pale-lotus.deviantart.com/art/Gradus-of-the-Earth-56875943
http://ukai.deviantart.com/art/My-world-in-blue-73799036

I know practice makes perfect...but my art style for pixels isn't as...how can I say: As good as my real work. Also, I have yet to think of a price for any of my handwork, CG, and or ports, so if anyone has any criticism, tips, or aid for me I'd greatly appreciate it!! <333
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:40:29 PM by Ukai »

Sesruc

Re: Critique: Character Art vs Furcadia Ports
«Reply #1: January 20, 2008, 03:54:32 PM»
fffffffffffffffff.

If you sold CG arts or sketches, they'd go like BAMBAMABAM.
Like seriously, woman.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #2: January 20, 2008, 04:39:12 PM»
holy crap i enjoy this. v. nice.

Offline Mala

«Reply #3: January 20, 2008, 05:19:13 PM»
$0 so i can buy them all.

I kid, I kid.

These are really nice, and I highly doubt any of your work would go under $15. At the cheapest!

Gaggh, I'm dying in the amazingness of these pictures~  ;D

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #4: January 21, 2008, 01:37:09 AM»
I don't know how much I would price it at really. About how long does it take you to do a hand sketch, or a CG?

Offline Ukai

«Reply #5: January 21, 2008, 04:54:39 PM»
usually an hour to two hours.

Offline Schwarz

«Reply #6: January 21, 2008, 05:33:24 PM»
Wow. Everything is so beautiful. Even the black & whites are so detailed!

You could easily grab $20-30 for any of those, I think. It'd be worth the price for such high quality results.
I'm glad you realize how miserable your life would be without me.
re-animator.net -- a vast waste of internet

Vincent

«Reply #7: January 25, 2008, 06:42:02 PM»
Your ports are worth 20$, probably even more. I'm not good with price-rating scetches, but yours are definently (sp?) awesome.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #8: January 26, 2008, 04:49:39 PM»
Your art is gorgeous. ^^ You know that. But I'll admit I'm not as fond of your ports. You do great job with pixeling, but I personally think that you overdo it on the details. Details are good, but it often feels like I can't enjoy the picture as much because the details cover up a lot of important features. Sometimes I can't see the difference between an actual limb or extra clothes. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out what is what.

95x95 pixels is a small area. Maybe you could try to make your ports a bit simpler and see how that looks. There is only so much detail you can stuff into a 95x95 pixel square until it becomes hard to figure it all out for the viewer.

I hope this helps somewhat, even if it's only my personal opinion. :3
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Ukai

«Reply #9: February 17, 2008, 12:05:38 AM»
Your art is gorgeous. ^^ You know that. But I'll admit I'm not as fond of your ports. You do great job with pixeling, but I personally think that you overdo it on the details. Details are good, but it often feels like I can't enjoy the picture as much because the details cover up a lot of important features. Sometimes I can't see the difference between an actual limb or extra clothes. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out what is what.

95x95 pixels is a small area. Maybe you could try to make your ports a bit simpler and see how that looks. There is only so much detail you can stuff into a 95x95 pixel square until it becomes hard to figure it all out for the viewer.

Thank you Sady, that was the critique I was looking for and yes, that is my biggest issue I'm trying to resolve.

Offline Stevie

«Reply #10: February 17, 2008, 05:31:27 PM»
I would sure as hell pay 20-40 dollars for a port from you.

Offline Lovecraft

«Reply #11: February 21, 2008, 03:53:16 AM»

Thank you Sady, that was the critique I was looking for and yes, that is my biggest issue I'm trying to resolve.

I honestly think that if you stick to the more simplistic backgrounds in your ports, you'll be okay. Since you like to detail the character itself the most, it's better to give the piece a more muted backdrop so as not to distract from what you're making the main focus, you know what I mean? It's all about finding what works with your style and I really think that's the only thing that you should stick to when it comes to making ports. Your work is too pretty not to contain a lot of detail. :3 Other than that, the characters look fabulous. A+. I'd charge 20 at the min for a detailed port like this, and at least 25-30 for CG work.
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.

Offline Ukai

«Reply #12: March 13, 2008, 07:27:02 AM»
Yah, that's really what I need to do.

anything