turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Tips and Tricks Thread  (Read 739 times)

Offline Zodiac

The Tips and Tricks Thread
«: August 01, 2008, 03:30:52 PM»
So this thread was a member suggestion I thought I would give a try.

- Post ONLY your helpful tip or trick of the arts here. Remember to give the thread a look through, so we can avoid double posts.
- If you wish to elaborate on a tip already posted, be sure to QUOTE that tip in your post.
- Please do not post commentary on the tips. POST ONLY TIPS AND TRICKS. If you feel the need to comment on a tip, or thank for one, PM the person who posted it.
- Be sure to fully and clearly explain your tips.

This thread will be a test run of the idea for now. If all goes well, maybe it will be a sticky. :) So, what kind of tricks do you guys know, when it comes to making any kind of art?

Offline Hugo

Re: The Tips and Tricks Thread
«Reply #1: August 01, 2008, 08:23:32 PM»
New Remapping Colors for Furcadia's Existing Pallet:

To obtain new colors with Furcadia's existing pallet you can 'mix pixels'. To do this in .fsh editor, simply paste the portrait and shade your first remap color  (Fur or markings or boots etc). Save this version of the portrait somewhere and then copypaste it into a new .fsh file. Next, make diagonal lines of the default .fsh blue color across the entire area you want to mix in skipping every other pixel so that your portrait looks a bit transparent.

Doing this makes the blue pixels 'clear' so any color behind them shows up.

Copypaste this version of your portrait to MS Paint or another .fsh window.

Go back to the .fsh editor with the normal version of your portrait copied and pasted from where you saved it before. Click Edit > Switch Color Range > And switch the entire portrait to whatever color remap you're mixing the first one with. If you used fur to start, try changing fur to markings or fur to boots or another remap so that the entire portrait is shaded in that color.

Go grab the 'transparent' version of your portrait. Copy and paste it over the version you just changed the color range on. Voila, the portrait is now every-other-pixel in a different color with all of your shading intact.

You can also do this in MS paint by clicking Image and unchecking the word Opaque. This will make all the white pixels 'clear'.

*In the case of other art, you can decide what pixels become clear by rightclicking the desired color at the bottom pallet. You can tell what color is clear by looking at the lower square to the left of the MS Paint pallet.

In-game you can adjust your colors to create brand new hues like mint green(Green+white) and Pepto pink(White+red).

---------------

How to Reference Without Stealing:

The safest and most correct way to reference (and all how-to-draw books should tell you this) is never to copy an entire picture. Need to learn how to angle an arm with foreshortening? Practice the arm from a stock photo; never ever trace the entire photo even if it is stock. Even better, call up one of your friends and ask them to angle their arm for you. Snap a picture. Or, pull a victorian move and use a mirror.

When you're learning, you need to learn in parts. Arms. Legs. Torso. Jawline. Eyes. Copying an entire picture will never give you that.

For example, I wanted to draw a secretary bird character.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/PegasusYami/Crap%20Drawings/grandexamp.jpg

So I reffed this for the head.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1194/581680586_252cfbf229.jpg?v=0

And the lines will never match up because I only glanced at my ref every now and then to make sure I was getting things right like the curve of the beak (which I still somehow managed to get wrong).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:38:58 PM by Hugo »

Offline Morgan

«Reply #2: August 02, 2008, 10:28:21 AM»
oh man, i did that once and it was awesome haha

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: August 03, 2008, 04:32:44 AM»
oh man, i did that once and it was awesome haha

- Please do not post commentary on the tips. POST ONLY TIPS AND TRICKS. If you feel the need to comment on a tip, or thank for one, PM the person who posted it.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: August 05, 2008, 07:14:07 PM»
In order to avoid the "pillow" effect when shading, use references and choose a light source. Just pretend someone's shining a spotlight or a flashlight (depends on how strong you want the light to be) on the character, and picture it as though it were 3D. Again, using references for a while will get you used to thinking this way. :)

I'll probably add more to this later as I think 'em up. Good idea, starting this, Turq!

anything