turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crit & Pricing [UPDATED]  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Dirigible

Crit & Pricing [UPDATED]
«: August 14, 2008, 04:07:25 PM»

(SEPT. 7.)
the first is currently set at $3, the second $5, the third $6, and the fourth was for a friend.

still always looking for crit and pricing input 8)

I'd really like to sell these but seeing as I'm a complete beginner I'd really like some input on how much I should charge (I should also add that I won't be accepting GD, just Paypal).

I'm estimating about $5 right now, but a friend of mine says I should charge $7. Either way I probably won't sell the one in the middle as FSH totally killed the background colors. And critique is always nice~!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:40:19 PM by Dirigible »

Offline La-la

Re: Crit & Pricing
«Reply #1: August 14, 2008, 04:09:28 PM»
Your lineart is nice but the colouring is really simplistic. I'd say $3-$5.

Offline Dirigible

«Reply #2: August 14, 2008, 04:16:25 PM»

Thanks for the est. :] I agree after seeing some more elaborate ports that I could improve the coloring, though would adding more layers of shading be enough?

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: August 14, 2008, 05:55:06 PM»

Thanks for the est. :] I agree after seeing some more elaborate ports that I could improve the coloring, though would adding more layers of shading be enough?

That, and dithering would help too. Penelope has a nice dithering tutorial somewhere, if you want to ask her for it.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #4: August 14, 2008, 08:37:27 PM»
tutorial or do you mean my usual post??
either way!!

copied from another thread:

-black fur and markings = BITCHES to remap with; dont worry if the port doesnt look too good in that FOR NOW. obviously you will want to perfect it later, but just work on getting a style down first.

-try to make the fur and markings match up when they're remapped to the same color - see below:

-hair is often one of the most annoying things for pixel artists to shade; play with different techniques until you get something that works for you. i personally started off with mythi's hair tutorial, then moved on to develop my own style because i didn't find my mythi attempts too flattering. (i might get off my behind and do a hair tutorial sometime when im home, im at a friend's atm)

-PICK A LIGHT SOURCE oh god please, and play it up a bit sometimes if you'd like. picking the same light source every time isnt bad, but adding variety is nice.

-some people dither, some people don't. personally, i like to dither a bit so things blend smoothly. dithering is "checkerboard" shading. don't OVERdither.. it can really kill a portrait. see the examples below.

here's some shading examples of mine i pulled from a previous post:

(please dont shade arms like that god no ahhfsd include the muscles, i was silly back then and didnt comprehend that)

(GOOD ARMS LOLS)

Offline Kratos

«Reply #5: August 14, 2008, 08:41:51 PM»
adding a separate post to specialize specifically for you, besides the usual stuff i post above.

the way you're shading at the moment makes it very blocky and doesn't seem very smooth at all.
for example, in the third port, im pretty sure i see a very light shade directly touching a darker shade with no inbetween. that's not smooth.

dithering is good for medium-large areas, and sometimes small ones.
play around with it - in some small places, dithering won't even be necessary. (highlights/shadows of face for example)

i'm not sure about what you're doing with hair yet, but make sure you give it some shape (chunks/strands are very good) and don't shade it like you shade fur or clothes etc.

clothing should also have folds and i usually dither the hell out of clothing for some reason personally. clothing isn't one of my strong points however so i'll leave that alone for the most part.

definition lines such as the curves of breasts through shirts should probably be emphasized with darker shades to show the shadows underneath them, and to give them shape.

(okay this post of random comments is done for now because i need to go play bioshock with my friend. ill check back later if theres any questions.)

Offline Dirigible

«Reply #6: August 14, 2008, 09:37:07 PM»
oh wow, thanks for the help. i've been doing pencil art for a hundred million years and i'm used to gradation; i've never even heeeard of dithering.

took a few minutes to give it a try.

hair has always been rough for me; though i'm more satisfied with my third example than with my first two. i think i could have added more highlights but otherwise i'm okay with it hair-wise.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #7: August 15, 2008, 12:36:15 AM»
the shades you're using are too harsh. it looks like you're missing a shade.
look at the examples in the first post i put in this thread to see the progressing shades, it should help.

Offline Dirigible

«Reply #8: August 15, 2008, 08:33:09 PM»

better/worse/ehhh?

the first one (i edited it again to see if i could soften the shading a tad) has almost all the shades in the fur gradation (though i'm still not entirely happy with the hair. i drew it awkwardly to begin with and i reeeeally don't want to redo the lineart). the second didn't have its colors changed so much as i just dithered like hell & i'm really happy with how using the dithering tips helped it :]

so, ah, $5 worthy yet? D:

Offline Sedde

«Reply #9: August 15, 2008, 10:04:44 PM»
I'd like to make a recommendation with your shading. :)

Try to stick to the five lightest shades of each color. The last three all remap to the same thing, generally...so having the third-lightest color as your base is the best way to go.

Offline Dirigible

«Reply #10: August 15, 2008, 10:08:04 PM»
I'd like to make a recommendation with your shading. :)

Try to stick to the five lightest shades of each color. The last three all remap to the same thing, generally...so having the third-lightest color as your base is the best way to go.

ah, good tip~ thanks very much, so far i've almost automatically chosen the middle shade eheh. does this also apply for hair?

Offline Sedde

«Reply #11: August 15, 2008, 10:22:23 PM»
That applies for pretty much everything... x_x ESPECIALLY hair, in my opinion. The furc remapping thing works in a very weird way.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #12: August 16, 2008, 03:05:51 AM»
if you'd like, when i get home (since im at a friend's atm), i can reshade parts of the ports for you and show you one on one.
i think i'll be home tomorrow.
im too tired to crit more right now though sooo, going to bed

Offline Dirigible

«Reply #13: August 16, 2008, 05:17:42 AM»
if you'd like, when i get home (since im at a friend's atm), i can reshade parts of the ports for you and show you one on one.
i think i'll be home tomorrow.
im too tired to crit more right now though sooo, going to bed

that would be very kind of you ♥ i feel so n00bish haha, i haven't dabbled in fur-art since like seventh grade.

Offline Dirigible

Re: Crit & Pricing [UPDATED]
«Reply #14: September 07, 2008, 02:41:43 PM»
+ more examples.